PDA

View Full Version : Southern CA Fires in My Area

Wheeliegirl
10-22-2007, 06:18 PM
One of the fires is very close to where I live in Irvine, CA (1 or 2 miles away). The smoke and ashes are everywhere, and I can smell it as our central air conditioning ran last night.

Do you suppose this poses any danger for Peachie? It's awful and dirty/gritty outside. Many of my co-workers who live nearby have had to evacuate.

My place is not in any danger of fire because we live a couple of miles away from the hilly scrub areas that are on fire. Unless...God forbid, an ember flies over from the fire and starts a new fire.

Flapjack
10-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Prayers for you and your little one. I'd be sure to keep windows & doors closed, and turn air purifier on high if you have one, and don't use A/C if it draws from outside.
Good luck!

Keltoth
10-22-2007, 06:36 PM
I would definately keep the outside air outside as much as possible. Unlike a wood-burning stove which pulls the smoke up through the flue and outside the home due to hot air convection, wild-fires put out enormous amounts of fine particulate matter (fpm) which eventually settles back down around your home due to the sheer volume of smoke put up in the air - and it is these fpm that cause respiratory problems for ALL air-breathers, and especially smaller birds. Without the hot air to keep them aloft and a flue to conduct them up and away, these fpm can cause some serious problems for lovebirds.

You aren't going to be able to keep it all out of your house, but I would definately minimize the amount of time you have doors open, and I would definately keep the windows closed. An air purifier would be nice, but if you don't have it, you don't have it. Having said all that, if the worst of the smoke is over, just keep the house closed up as much as possible and I think Peachie will be just fine.

I'll keep the two of you in my thoughts over the next several days.

- Eric

Buy A Paper Doll
10-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Holly, I don't have any additional advice to add, just wanted to say, be safe and take care of yourself (and Peachie)!!

Wheeliegirl
10-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Thank you. We will be fine, the fire is going in the opposite direction of my house. I feel so badly for all the people who have lost their homes. Please consider contributing to the Red Cross.

michael
10-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Holly. I heard Malibu's taken quite a loss already. This is sure scarey.:( I hope this is over soon for everyone. Prayers for you and your family..............Michael and Goofy lovebird

linda040899
10-22-2007, 09:24 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you who are near the CA wildfires! It's got to be a scary thing!

Eric said it perfectly. Keep outside air outside as much as possible. Even if you won't need it now, you may want to look into getting one of those clear Kritter Keepers in case this happens in the future. Should you have to take Peachie outside to evacuate, the Kritter Keeper can be wrapped in a towel to keep the air inside clean while you go from house to car or whatever transportation you would be using. This is just a thought for future reference.

marlowsix
10-22-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm about 20 miles from you Holly, and today has been tough. The smoke has been just terrible, I can only imagine how it must be as close as you are. My kids are struggling with burning eyes and congestion - which has had me concerned about my lovies all day. Tomorrow should be interesting because the temperature is supposed to be around 92 degrees (yikes, I hate the heat!) and I've been keeping the house all closed up...could get pretty hot in here. Pray for rain!!

graushill
10-23-2007, 02:35 PM
I just wanted to add my prayers that the fires will be contained soon, and that everyone will remain safe.

Gloria

Wheeliegirl
10-23-2007, 03:25 PM
I won't even go outside to get lunch it's so bad outside! Thanks for all the well wishes.......:) The weather will be cooler after today, and hopefully a little bit of moisture will help.

It's the people in San Diego who are bearing the worst of these fires (again). Some of the guys who work for my company are volunteer firemen. They are missing work to save other people's homes. I admire their courage. Prayers to them and their families.

Keltoth
10-27-2007, 10:00 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/27/env.air.quality.ap/index.html

Of particular interest to those who are in the affected areas of SoCal.

- Eric

marlowsix
10-27-2007, 10:26 PM
I appreciate the information Eric.

Holly, I've been thinking about you these last couple of days and wondering how you are doing. We are doing fine - I guess...trying not to think about all the junk we're breathing. All my kids school sports have been canceled for the weekend and their school carnival also, due to lousy air. Holly, hope it's better where you are!!

-Jayne