PDA

View Full Version : should I?

Mydoona
10-22-2007, 06:42 PM
I was in a store that just sells birds and I saw a beautiful yellow lovebird and wanted to get her but my partner said NO because the bird was sitting on the bottom of its cage all hunched up in the corner,it looked so sad I wanted to rescue it but he said the bird didn't loook right.It was all alone in its little box and made me sad for it.
hould I go rescue it or will my other bird hate it and pick on it?

kimsbirds
10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Whether or not your current bird LIKES the new bird isn't my biggest concern right now..and the chances are 50/50 anyway.
PLEASE DO NOT BUY THAT BIRD.
Read through the traumatic events in our various threads about pet shop birds and illness.
Whatever disease and illness that petshop bird brings into your home, is going to infect your current bird, bottom line.
Don't take the chance.
If you are interested in buying a new friend, contact a local reputable breeder who tests their birds against disease.
I know your heart is breaking for the wellbeing of that sick bird, but think of the likely outcome for your current bird. You can alternately report the situation to your local animal shelter and see if they can do anything.
Best Wishes

Janie
10-23-2007, 07:51 AM
I would agree with Kim's advice, 100%.

Pips mom
10-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Awww, poor little thing. It makes me so sad to think places that sell the birds will leave a sick bird out like that for people to see-----that bird should be out of there and at a vet and taken care of-----not curled up in the corner. If that was me I would make sure the manager of this place was made aware of this and make sure that he gets the care that he needs.

michael
10-23-2007, 01:22 PM
I totally agree with Kims advice. Purchasing this bird can do far more harm, not only to your precious companion/s, but to the next one that may take its place. By providing this pet shop with the profit of a sale it can sometimes perpetuate the problem. Reporting what you feel are questionable conditions to your local animal shelter or authorities may do better to alleviate this type of problem overall which could ultimately save more lives. And you can do this in light of recent illness involving birds sold through Petsmarts and various bird fairs. Although our first reaction is to sometimes complain to management out of great worry and concern, I suggest calling shelter/authorities FIRST before giving the store a chance to clean up their act. These individuals usually clean up a bit upon warning, then return to business as usual. Prayers for this poor lovebird.................Michael and Goofy lovebird