PDA

View Full Version : Question?

staceyb
10-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Hello, I was looking through the Micaboo bird resue site and they had an entry for a Goffins lovebird. What are they? I looked on the net and only came up with Goffins Cocatoo's. Does anyone know or have a picture? They had no pictur posted or discription yet so I am curious. If anyone let me know.
Thanks,

mjm8321
10-25-2007, 12:00 PM
It's a Cockatoo, not a lovebird. Someone must have made an error in entering that information.

Goffin's are cute little boogers. I have fallen in love with a pair of siblings at the Bird Hut, here in Portland. Lots of personality and energy; however they are young and have no "baggage". Many rehomed cockatoos have gone through some pretty bad situations and they are very sensitive, intelligent birds that can have issues. Eric (Keltoth) has two in his home, so maybe he can give you some first hand advice if you are considering adopting one of these beauties.

staceyb
10-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the info. I realy want another lovebird though. There is a really cute peach face named Allen at the resue that I'm interested in. The problem is they want you to go to bird care classes and they want to come check out my house to make sure it's ok for him/her. It's understandable but what a pain for the adopter who already has a bird and knows how to care for them.
Again thanks for the info.

Islandbirdies
10-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Well, I don't think that having a bird means that someone know's how to care for it, necessarily. Anyone can buy a bird, that's why the bird rescue's need to be shure of the addopter, so that the bird can find a forever home. They usually make up for the extra trouble by charging an addoption fee that is less than a petstore price.

Mummieeva
10-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Micaboo is one of the strictest rescues I know of. You would be surprised how many people own birds and truly do not know how to care for them. I meet a women at a bird fair once who had her birds for over 5 years and never knew they needed to see a vet once a year. Others i have meet though all birds needed grit. While I do understand sometimes rescues seem to deter people from adopting it is often in a birds best interest. Many birds that rescues get were abused or not taken care of well. They need to be sure new owners understand and can deal with things. Birds especially large ones get re-homed so often I have seen and that makes it even worse on them.

Steph

Janie
10-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Well, I don't think that having a bird means that someone know's how to care for it, necessarily. Anyone can buy a bird, that's why the bird rescue's need to be shure of the addopter, so that the bird can find a forever home. They usually make up for the extra trouble by charging an addoption fee that is less than a petstore price.

I would agree with that! :) I've looked at some of the adoption forms for birds and it might be easier to adopt a human child! :whistle: But, I think that is the way it should be done for the health, safety and chance of a "forever" home for these birds being adopted. :)

The dog rescues that I've checked are also very, very strict.

ittyandrita
10-26-2007, 07:14 PM
please adopt allen!! i love the mickaboo site and always look at the lovebirds for adoption, wishing i lived closer... Allen and kevin are my favorites
Bird rescue places have really involved adoption procedures because they want to make sure the bird will not end up homeless again and i think, to help deter people who aren't completely serious and dedicated to adopting a bird. The joy of adopting a bird in need really outweighs the couple extra steps to adopt from a rescue, so I say go for it.