PDA

View Full Version : Update on Goofy's picking/plucking

michael
10-27-2007, 11:51 PM
In Feb 07 Goof had finally plucked out all his tail feathers. Giardia was diagnosed that required two successive treatments and has yet to recur. Subsequent to this a wing clip was done. About a week after these events he began plucking and chewing the shoulder areas. Further testing and repeated checks for giardia have turned up what appears to be a very healthy Goofy lovebird. Except for the pickyplucky issues. I could take up loads of space explaining all the idea's we've been working on, but the best I can say is that everything has been improving, except the P/P. I am confident at this point in feeling its completely psychological. And what took a couple days to start, has taken months to figure out. Likely causes? Separation anxiety and boredom. Its difficult reverting him back to being a more independent lovebird who loves to explore/investigate and destroy everything in sight. The important thing I noticed was the more attention I gave him, the more these healthy activities stopped and the worse his P/P got. You know, I love my Goofy lovebird so much I could keep him with me all day in a constant hug. Realistically, this may be good for me but unfortunately not for him. So I've been doing more to keep him active when we're together. Not that he's missing out on "his" lovey dovey, we just need to alter it a little and somehow get him more occupied when I'm gone. Hidden camera has shown me a very anxious little lovebird who sits and waits for his companion to return while chewing himself upon hearing any different sounds, even while music or T.V is going. So far he's at a plateau and we've avoided the Ecollar and haldol. Drugs would be a last resort if infection posed an ongoing risk and the Ecollar may only work until its removal. One vet says Ecollar. The other says drugs. They both have indicated he may not stop and can get worse even with taking the proper measures. You know, I've worked with rehabs that were missing almost all their feathers and never needed drugs except for antibiotics and they recovered quite well. Never for psyco reasons. I'm not sure I could ever give them to my Goofy. The vet in Avon keeps letting me know I can pick up the haldol at their front desk.....:( . I'll continue to work with him without it and hopefully in a few weeks or months things will get better instead.........And of course, absolutely everyones opinions or idea's are welcome and maybe we'll all continue to find ways of better management.........Here's a couple of recent pics of him. Its hard to see the damaged area's unless you get him wet or lift his feathers...........Goofy and Michael

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ourgoofy/

By the way :) I like "Flickr" for the photo hosting better than imageshack now!

thebubbleking
10-28-2007, 01:04 AM
Wow he loves you so much what a decision to make... as much as you love each other i am sure you will end up doing what is best for goofy i am always here to talk to or if you need to just vent and you and goofy are in our prayers.

Jessica
10-28-2007, 03:11 PM
I really wish that you could figure this out. I think of Goofy often and say a little prayer. The one thing I am glad for is that Goofy has a dad that is doing everything possible for him. Lucky little bird to be so loved!