PDA

View Full Version : Really sad lovie

chellybum
10-29-2007, 08:59 AM
I am a teacher, and I adopted my lovie in december... so she was used to me working everyday. We really got to know each other over the summer and she really bonded to me.

It has been 2 full months since I went back to school .. and my poor lovie is still the saddest bird around.

Every morning i play with her before i leave for about 30 mins... and she just never wants to go back in her cage... when i finally get her in she whines and cries and starts giving my hands kisses as if to say Please don't go I love you!!

As soon as i get home I play will her all night until she goes to bed

when I am at work she is infront of the window all day so she can look at the cars (something she loves to do)

She doesn't respond well to the radio or tv when noone is in the house.. she just squaks at it

the reason i am writing is because i am noticing her tail feathers are not kept at the end.. they are all broken at the tips..
she does have toys that she plays with and i change them every two weeks..

is there anything else i can do to make her a happy birdie when I am gone? i don't want the problem to get worse!

sk2
10-29-2007, 01:31 PM
she sounds like a cute little birdie......it's pretty difficult to see them getting sad! may be you could consider getting another lovie to give her company. also see if you can understand the kind of toys she likes...some of them like shredding things like plam leaf and that keeps them busy for quite sometime.

mjm8321
10-29-2007, 01:42 PM
As long as she's getting a lot of attention when you are home, she should be ok. The tailfeathers may be due to a perch being too close to the cage bars or some lovies play rought on their toys and bash their tailfeathers.

Getting a friend for her is always an option, but then it brings up other issues; breeding, fights, etc...

chellybum
10-29-2007, 02:10 PM
We were thinking about another lovie.. but i feel like it is a bit of a gamble.. I have heard stories that when you've had a lovie for a while and get another one they might not bond.. and actually end up hating each other.. I also live in a small apartment and didn't want it to be too loud.

thanks for the advice.. i will change her perches tonight and see if that helps

as for the toys.. she is very picky about her toys.. she won't play with anything unless there is some sotr of bell on it.. she loves making the noises :)

mjm8321
10-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Oh, if she loves making noise, try one of these toys http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?Ntt=chime%20time&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=2003&Nty=1

My flock loves these and they clank and make a racket with them! Plus, there are mineral treats on it to chew on. ;)

michael
10-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Mornings were tough on returning my single lovebird too. A lot of time was spent in the evenings as the days had many chores. Even though most of my activities run through the night this still can leave little time during the day. He gets two hours in the morning now instead of the usual 1 hour which made quite a difference returning him to his cage. I also used the extra time to tidy up his cage which helped spark his interest in what was changed in there. This in addition to evening time out. I know work schedules can be hard but maybe try to lengthen Isabella's morning time 'if possible'. What you mentioned about a radio is it provides some form of noise while your gone, and a bird that responds with a few chirps might be better than a totally quiet one. Also, any toys you know she prefers would be best to continue with along with an additional new one every now and then. Those birdy wind chimes MJ suggested look pretty attractive too. I am curious to whether the Dr felt there should be a follow up exam after the last two infections. Not knowing the nature of her previous illnesses I felt it may be worth a mention...........Best wishes for your really sad lovie :very_sad: :) ...........Michael and Goofy

chellybum
10-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Thanks for all the info... the other infections are over and done with.. she has been really healthy.. I think it was just the transition of getting out of a gross pet store to a loving home.. like a cleanse :)

I love those chimes.. and I know Isabelle would love them too!! But they only order to the states :( any canadians know of items like that?

mjm8321
10-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Dare I say, I bought some at a Petsmart. I think they have locations in canada, no?

chellybum
10-31-2007, 07:18 AM
Yes they do! I will check them out!

DNSFeathers
11-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Do you happen to clip her wings? I have noticed with my lovebirds and IRNs if I clip their wings, their tail feathers start looking nasty. Only thing I assume that to be is from them jumping down on things instead of flying down. My IRNs are more like dog's they see you eating something and they chase you until they get some of it or you lock them in the cage.
Just an Idea,
Tae and Flock!