PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a lovie..........

cgreer
11-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Is shipping really safe? I would think it would be extremely stressful for the little one. Whats ya'll's thought on this. Im having a hard time finding a breeder in or around Dallas......or at least one that will reply to my email.

bellarains
11-08-2007, 10:22 AM
I have had two flown to me. The one thing Linda(breeder& Admin here) looks for is where they may change flights. If you can get a direct one, that would be ideal, but if not, try to make sure they don't go through a metro airport that is know for "loosing things".

I'm sure most breeders ship safely, but I would verify the method in which they ship, and also be sure there is apple, or orange, and plenty of millet spray in with the bird. Also, be sure there is a water dish, just in case there is a long delay. This will help ensure that the bird has plenty to eat, and also liquid to keep him/her hydrated.

I'm sure those who have shipped can give you more info on what airlines are best, etc...... but this may help.

cgreer
11-08-2007, 10:31 AM
It does, thanks. I can just picture the poor thing being tossed around like Ive seen them do with peoples luggage.

linda040899
11-08-2007, 10:55 AM
From our Resource Library:
http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/shippingtips.htm

When I ship, I use either Continental Quick Pack (1st choice) or Delta Pets First. Cost is very similar. It's just a matter of who flies where and the length of the layover. I will not use a flight that changes planes in Atlanta, GA. That airport does not have a good record for live shipments being transferred to connecting flights. Cost is between $90.00 - $100.00/7# container.

What are you looking for? I'm on the other side of the Gulf and I will ship

LauraO
11-08-2007, 10:58 AM
I shipped all 26 of my birds from Hawaii to Portland when we moved earlier in the year. Most went on Continental and flew from Honolulu to Houston and Houston to Portland. So they were in the carriers and traveling for almost 24 hours and they did well.

Although, I would just take your time. I can't imagine there are no good breeders in Dallas. I would think it's just about finding one.

Laura O

cgreer
11-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Linda, Im looking for a Peachface. Color is not of importance, but I do want a male.

Laura, I am going slow. No rush. I have found a couple at pet stores, but Im thinking a breeder might be better. But still looking at my options.

Janie
11-08-2007, 03:46 PM
One more suggestion for locating a breeder in your area, pick up a copy of BirdTalk Magazine and look at the adds in the back. I've seen many breeders advertise from your area. You can find BirdTalk in pet bird specialty stores and I think I've seen it in PetSmart, too.

I'm with you on the "male" thing.....I have three males and passed on one gorgeous WF violet when the DNA came back female. I waited till I got what I wanted and IMHO, it's always worth the wait. Considering that we might have these precious pets for as long as 15 plus years, getting just what you want is the way to go! :D

cgreer
11-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Janie, good idea. I didn't think about that. My mom may still get Birdtalk. Ill check with her and have her send me an issue or two. How do ya'll feel about pet store birds? They are hand fed, but I think the ones from the breeders get more attention, but I could be wrong.

DNSFeathers
11-08-2007, 04:14 PM
This is a website that I have used to find breeders, some with luck, and some without luck.
http://www.birdbreeders.com/breedersearch.aspx

I have used it for the lovebirds, button quail, and parakeets. I hope it's okay to post links, other then pictures. If not tell me and I will pull it.

Thanks,
Tae and Flock!

Janie
11-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Some members here have found some great lovies in pet stores and for that reason I hate to say I'd never buy from one.....but personally, I would not as long as there is any other option. I would really worry about getting a bird, falling in love with it immediately, and then finding out it's sick.

I do have ONE bird specialty store here, they sell only birds and fish, and while I would buy a conure or larger parrot from them, I would not buy a lovebird from them. Reason being, their larger parrots are kept very, very tame (due to the high price tag on an eventual sale) but their lovies are wild as March hares! Even if they have been hand fed and come to the store tame, they revert to being very wild in such a short period of time and the employees (they really do have great, caring employees) don't have enough time to handle all the birds daily so the "cheaper" birds don't get the attention. Even the owner of the store who does hand feed many of the larger parrots they sell, has admitted that to me. With limited time, what are you going to do....keep the $350 to $3,000 birds tame or keep the $70 to $100 birds tame?

I think you'll find a good breeder in your area. If at all possible, visit with the breeder and get a good feel about him/her and the surroundings. Many breeders have a "closed aviary policy" which is totally understandable and best for the breeder pairs but I did get to see many of my breeders young birds that were caged upstairs, away from her main aviary and breeder pairs. I got to see the parents of my lovies but never "in person", just their photos since they were in the closed aviary. I originally met her at a bird fair (the one and only time she took her birds to a fair) and got to know her very well before purchasing two birds from her. She asked me all the right questions and was impressed that I asked her all the right questions, too. :D I knew her for 4 months and chatted with her many times before I bought her birds. I did pay to have them DNA'd since I only wanted males (already had one male at home) and as I mentioned before, I passed on the first beautiful WF Violet because it turned out to be a hen. I waited and got my WF Violet, my sweet baby, Shy boy! :D I also got his brother, a WF Blue, another sweetie. :D

cgreer
11-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Janie, yeah, I agree with you. I will continue to look for a breeder. There are a couple of bird shows coming to my area. I think I might check them out as well. Thanks again!

Janie
11-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Good idea. I go to almost every bird fair that we have here and I think that number is about 7 a year! :lol I buy 75% of my birds food, toys, perches, etc. there. I've seen very good breeders there with great looking birds and I've also seen breeders that would sell you ANYTHING, in any condition, just to make a sale. Seriously, my breeder took birds to a fair one time and that was it. She was worried about the condition of so many "other" birds she saw during the two day show and of course she had to quarantine the birds that she took that did not sell after she brought them back into her home.

Beware: If you go to a fair and meet a breeder that tells you they know the sex of the bird because of the shape of the tale feathers or the way the pelvic area feels, DON'T BELIEVE THEM! That is nothing more than a 50/50 guess! If you go armed with a list of questions, any good breeder should be able to answer them and one of the first things I waited and wanted to hear from my breeder was the recommendation of avian vet care. She told me I should take them in within 72 hours after buying them and then anytime they showed a sign of a possible illness and again for yearly exams. Since I already had my Oliver and had been on this forum for 2 years at that time, I knew what she should be telling a prospective buyer and she said all the right things. :)

bellarains
11-09-2007, 08:09 AM
I did get my Bela from a Petstore, but it was a store that only sold birds, and fish. All their birds were handfed, but have to say, I've had two who were parent raised, and both of those lovies were/are sweet as pie. My little Slater I have now was parent raised, and he wants kisses all the time:)

That said, most pet stores do offer a health guarantee. If you take the bird in for a well bird check, and the bird is not healthy, you do have the option of returning the bird. I'd like to be totally against pet stores selling birds, and it has gotten better in the past few years, but as long as they can sell them, those babies need a good home too.

Ok, it can be a contraversial issue, and we should not debate it, so I'll leave it at....... If you find a bird that chooses you, then that's the bird you should get. That happening at a petstore may not be the norm, but it's happened before. Yeah, Bela snugged up in my neck, and I was bitten by the "lovie" bug instantly:)

I hope you find one soon, and no matter where you get your baby, I know you are going to love him/her to pieces:D

Janie
11-09-2007, 08:46 AM
That said, most pet stores do offer a health guarantee. If you take the bird in for a well bird check, and the bird is not healthy, you do have the option of returning the bird.

Yeah, right! :D So Lori, you would have returned Bela if an illness had been found in that first vet visit? ;) Needless to say, that could happen buying from a pet store OR a breeder and I know you and I know me and neither one of us could return a bird, sick or not, after we took it home! :whistle:

Oliver was a parent raised pet store bird, too, and he's the best little lovie in the world. I agree, you can end up with a great and very healthy bird bought from a pet store but knowing what I know now, I'd stick to a breeder or bird specialty store like the one where you found Bela! :)

bellarains
11-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Janie,

You know the answer to that one. H E !! no I would not return the bird, you know I can hardly hold one without loving them instantly;) If though for some reason the bird passes due to a heart defect, disease, etc... within their guarantee time, most will refund your money with a necropsy report. Of course, they would be refunding me with a lecture that they most likely would have to cover their ears for;)

Janie
11-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Janie,

You know the answer to that one. H E !! no I would not return the bird, you know I can hardly hold one without loving them instantly;)

Exactly! That is why I laughed when I read that earlier reply! :rotfl Lori take a bird back?????? HAHAHA! :D

Z28Taxman
11-09-2007, 06:33 PM
I did get my Bela from a Petstore, but it was a store that only sold birds, and fish. All their birds were handfed, but have to say, I've had two who were parent raised, and both of those lovies were/are sweet as pie. My little Slater I have now was parent raised, and he wants kisses all the time:)

That said, most pet stores do offer a health guarantee. If you take the bird in for a well bird check, and the bird is not healthy, you do have the option of returning the bird. I'd like to be totally against pet stores selling birds, and it has gotten better in the past few years, but as long as they can sell them, those babies need a good home too.

Ok, it can be a contraversial issue, and we should not debate it, so I'll leave it at....... If you find a bird that chooses you, then that's the bird you should get. That happening at a petstore may not be the norm, but it's happened before. Yeah, Bela snugged up in my neck, and I was bitten by the "lovie" bug instantly:)

I hope you find one soon, and no matter where you get your baby, I know you are going to love him/her to pieces:D

Ditto came from the same type of store. Hand fed and socialized daily. Barb was allowed/encouraged to visit him and play with him from the time he was 6 weeks old (when she saw him and decided to buy him) until he was ready to come home at 14 weeks. They wouldn't let him leave the store until he was weaned and eating on his own for 2 full weeks. He's been a velcro snuggle bug from day one. :happy: