PDA

View Full Version : Lovies as pets

anch
11-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Don't know if this is the right place to put this thread. I just got off the phone with a lady who is selling lovebirds. I asked her if they were tame. She said they were not hand fed but would require some work. They are 3 months. I told her I have a pair of black cheeked lovebirds and she insisted they were black masked. Then she told me she would not sell me her birds because she doesn't want them going to someone as a pet!! What in the world? Evidently she only wants them to go as breeders. If sold as a pet people would only neglect them over time. Then she hung up on me!! >: I had the mind to call her back and tell her that she was rude. I had a quaker and I really miss her and wanted another bird that has some "attitude". Anyway, why would someone say they would not sell their lovie as a pet? Why would she want her birds to live a life without human contact/relationship? :confused: Well, I guess I will keep looking. Thanks for letting me vent but that really hurt my feelings.:(

shylevon
11-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Can't say what some people are thinking, but I would be just the opposite. If someone said they wanted my birds as only breeders, I would hang the phone up on them. I would stay away from non-socialized birds if I could. Keep looking until you are happy with the outcome of your efforts. Lovebirds can live to 25 years of age, and you want every minute of those years to be great ones.

LauraO
11-10-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm with Shy! Who knows why people do the things they do. I would also keep looking around for the right lovie. I concientious breeder that socializes their birds are the best, although there have been some who have had great success with parent raised non-socialized birdies. They just take a big commitment with patience and consistency.

maryjo
11-10-2007, 04:36 PM
[SIZE="3"]Hmm... North Carolina isn't too far from Virginia...I just happen to have babies that would love a good home in another month or so :whistle:

anch
11-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks everyone. I was really annoyed last night after that call.

Maryjo- where are in VA. I'm close to hampton roads area. PM me and let me know what you have and how much.

Screamer
11-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Then she hung up on me!! >: Anyway, why would someone say they would not sell their lovie as a pet? Why would she want her birds to live a life without human contact/relationship? Thanks for letting me vent but that really hurt my feelings.:(

She may need some professional help. :confused:

LOts of weirdos out there that's for sure. :Frank:

anch
11-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that I will be getting a lovie Fri or Sat. :happy: I can't wait. S/he will still have to be handfed twice a day but I have handfed before. That is the only reason why the breeder will let me get them. S/he is going to be a blue pied. Yes, I will post pics when I get him/her.
Thanks again to everyone.

Blossomfrost
11-14-2007, 06:21 PM
OK- this has nothing to do with this thread, but I had no idea that there was anyone else on here from NC!!!!!