PDA

View Full Version : Hows goofy lovebird?

thebubbleking
11-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Hi michael havent heard anything about goofy lately, i rememeber you saying you were going to change your routine to adress his plucking, has it gotten better? How you two doing?
Hope all is well, was just thinking of you two :D

Gene
11-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Hey good question! I've also been wondering about Goof lately, how is he???

thebubbleking
11-10-2007, 08:24 PM
:D

dani
11-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah, how is Goofy and his pet bird?!:D I've been wondering about any updates on that lately too...

michael
11-11-2007, 09:52 PM
:rofl: ! You are all so kind! Thanks for asking. Really certain changes in physical and social activities along with having had to bathe him in a more complete fashion has helped. His bathing habits usually involved his underside and that was it. Contrary to bathing him myself and thinking he would no longer like water, he still likes to get into his bathing bowl by himself. His issues get almost cleared up but then unfortunately take a turn for the worse. Not sure as to why yet. So you could say he hasn't really shown much improvement. So far he's in good health, actively pursuing what lovebirds do best, like take control over their human counterparts, enjoy freedom of speech, poop where he pleases, and yet continue to steal everyones heart. I would like to add, I've refrained from giving him haldol treatments (psychotr. oral meds) as well as utilizing an E-collar. Even though the haldol is a last resort, as long as his picking/plucking doesn't become life threatening we'll just continue to hold off and explore other avenues if necessary. I worry about him like I do my own daughter with those little picking wounds and try not to let him know. I know thats a bit far out for "some poeple" but yet its exactly how I feel. Got to stay optimistic :D !!!...............Michael and Goofy's sleeping

FLINT
11-11-2007, 09:55 PM
HEY, i'M NEW AT THIS. I bought alove bird four days ago. It is very shy. What can I do to get it to trust me more. How long does it usually take before a single bird is comfortable with his owner. --- Another problem in four more days I leave. Leaving my peachfaced or Fischer (not sure) for a week with a friend. If you have nay advice for the novice owner, let me know my bird "Spiffy" seems to be healthy and happy. He has a cute little personality. I need a bird godfather. Help

michael
11-11-2007, 10:25 PM
:) ..Spiffy sounds like he's going to be a wonderful companion. As far as how long it takes for "anything" is really up in the air. I would review the "lovebird resource library" and read through some of the other forums like "behavior and taming". As a new owner, familiarizing yourself with more than one introductory/introducing method may give you a better start. Because your leaving for awhile, your immediate priorities should be proper feeding and housing care. Safety issues regarding Spiffy's cage, toys, what foods to avoid, along with the possiblity of accidental escape should be considered, especially if under the care of a friend who's unfamiliar with lovebird care. You may also wish to find an avian vet in the event of an emergency. Part of having a lovebird companion is enjoying the learning process you both share while slowly becoming "comfortable with each other". Patience and time will always give you the best results no matter what the outcome. Hope your trip goes well, and please let us know how things go when you return. In the meantime feel free to ask whatever questions you need answered. Take care.............Michael and Goofy

Sweetpeaches
11-12-2007, 07:56 AM
hi michael,

thanks for the update of goofy. i was wondering too. it must be so hard watching goofy pluck himself. wish we could find an instant cure for that as it seems many "parrots" get this terrible obsession. i have a friend who has a b/g macaw that is about 25 yrs. old and she just started plucking herself about a year ago. she has all her beautiful gold feathers plucked off her body.
they've had her to a vet but despite treatments she'll let her feathers grow out a bit then pluck them again! hope goofy is well soon. my thots are with you.

dani
11-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Right now as i type, Ammy's freedom of speech is being actively exercised :x

Good to hear about Goof's progress, I know that you're willing to try anything as an owner to ensure Goofy's health and happiness, and that is really a wonderful thing. Prayers coming your way.

Dani and flock

thebubbleking
11-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Glad to hear goofys doing ok!
I also have a daughter shes 11 and always telling me "but dad they are birds and i'm your daughter!" and i am always saying "your all my babies :D"

michael
11-12-2007, 06:28 PM
hi michael,

thanks for the update of goofy. i was wondering too. it must be so hard watching goofy pluck himself. wish we could find an instant cure for that as it seems many "parrots" get this terrible obsession. i have a friend who has a b/g macaw that is about 25 yrs. old and she just started plucking herself about a year ago. she has all her beautiful gold feathers plucked off her body.
they've had her to a vet but despite treatments she'll let her feathers grow out a bit then pluck them again! hope goofy is well soon. my thots are with you.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. And Sweetpeaches, I'm sorry to hear about your friends macaw. I wish them well. In the past we were successful in using E-collars on the larger species, and if I remember right there were also many social/physical activity changes that followed once their feathers grew back. Unfortunately, because it was not my duty to subscribe to their ultimate care, I've still got plenty to learn regarding treatment and management of this condition. And we are now so fortunate to have a community to share with and learn from while we enjoy their companionship.

Bubbleking. I wish my daughter was 11 again. She likely doesn't because I watched her like a HAWK 8) ! I better leave it at that because I know she reads my posts sometimes. Tell your daughter she is so special even Goofy sends her a big kissie :) ...................Michael and Goofy

You know Dani, I think I just heard Ammy from way over here! :D

michael
11-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Yesterday morning when I let Goof out I noticed he appeared wet around the neck area. It wasn't blood, but I noticed him preening there a bit. Well, he had really done quite some damage to the shoulder area's. About the size of a dime scab on his left shoulder and a half dime on his right. This was about 7 times the damage thats been consistent up until yesterday.

I now felt it was necessary to take some sort of recourse, and after speaking with Dr. Lindstroms technician we decided haldol may provide some restitution in regards to Goofy's plucking/picking issues. There have been many great suggestions offered here in this community, unfortunately only so many can be tried within a certain amount of time in hopes of limiting the damage before it becomes life threatening. From dealing with other species of birds in the past, I know that once he starts under the wing things could become very serious.

He is still quite healthy thankfully, and the vet feels his care poses no questions. He always responds to anyone in such manner as though it were his duty. How dare you go away without me first checking you out! :) ! So we talked about the usual stuff like side effects, drug dependency, alternatives, e-collars, more alternatives, how long, why, what, where, well, you know the drill. They also insisted they would use haldol before using an e-collar in a heartbeat. Dr. Lindstroms been working with haldol for 8 years so far and has only had two drunken episodes where it was either discontinued or lowered. They also said starting out with a low dose is always best which was the main problem from the beginning. So today we started on the oral version of haldol mainly because it takes effect right away and doesn't last that long if there's any reaction. The shot lasts three weeks and takes longer to take effect, and the oral lasts 24 hours and takes effect immediately. Either one can be stopped at any time without withdrawal should this treatment prove unaffective or produce adverse side effects. The problem with the shot is that it takes a hospital stay in the event there's problems, and three weeks to wear off was not what I felt he should have to go through if there were any.

Ok, so now my precious little feathered child takes haldol. One of the very same medications my wife takes for schizophrenia. What are the chances of that happening? :clap :x :nyah: :happy: :very_sad:! ......Now they did insist it has a very different effect on birds than on humans and in comparison would be much less than the amount given to a person. Lets see, three ml's for Goofy, a squirt for me, three ml's for Goofy, a squir.....Sorry about that, got carried away there :nyah:. ITS THREE ML'S FOR Goofy, once a day. If it works over a few weeks or months then it will likely be indefinite. The technician also noted they can even begin to pick or pluck after ten years of never having these issues. Thought I'd share that bit of good news. Now If only he would have waited ten years before starting. At least it would have appeared more age appropriate. Bald fidpapa, bald Goofy lovebird!

Well, so far he's got his first dose. Doesn't seem to have had any effect on him and that was at 3:30 yesterday afternoon. Of course he's sleeping now, except for the usual accidental daddy makes paper noise peep. I had to make sure somehow that even at 1:00am in the morning he was safe and sound in his cozy. Reminds me of when I used to check on my daughter not so long ago while trying not to make her bedroom door squeak. Think I'll take a short nap now. :) .................Michael and Goofy

wilkiecoco
11-21-2007, 08:27 AM
i am so sorry for the latest turn of events in goofy's life - I know you have struggled with the issue of medicating him, but there doesn't seem to be an alternative now. You certainly tried everything else first, and it sounds like you are doing what is best for goofy and his health. Poor Goofy - I hope he gets some relief with the Haldol. You are both in my thoughts. :)

carrier
11-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Poor Goofy! :cry:

You and the little guy are in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully the Haldol will help and give some relief to Goofy bird's problems.

Scritches on his beak from myself, Fenway and Wrigley.

Janie
11-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Michael, I'm so sorry to read about Goof's latest plucking spree. :( Keeping both of you in my thoughts and really, really hoping that the Haldol helps!

Sweetpeaches
11-21-2007, 10:50 AM
michael,

i am so sorry about goofy too! don't feel too bad my 9 yr old terrier just had to go on an anti-depressant type drug to stop him from nibbling himself all the time! i hate that he has to be on medication, but it WORKS!. hope things work for goofy too!

michael
11-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Thank you everyone :) . Hopefully there's a change in his behavior soon. Haldol really doesn't have a wonderful success rate. I'm guessing an average of 30-50% by all the reviews/research. We will still continue though to exercise whatever options there are available. Especially if the use of haldol is unaffective or is no longer needed. As of yet I'm hoping other measures will prove just as effective if not more. Best wishes for everyone dealing with their pickers/pluckers....................Michael and Goofy

thebubbleking
11-21-2007, 04:59 PM
All our prayers are with you and your the best fidpapa around!
But you know if the mice in your house suddenly need medication it might be in the air or your vibes lol

Purpose By Design
11-22-2007, 06:29 PM
i can honestly say that i feel your pain, after having Sydney for two years he started plucking and wont stop. His feathers grew back after we had a collar on him. when we took it off he plucked all the new feathers that just grew back and it is under both his wings. We are going back and forth to the vet and it is costing us allot of money $90 just for a visit.

I will pray for both our babies that they would just somehow stop this obsession.