PDA

View Full Version : TK (aka Wrigley) & Houdini

carrier
11-12-2007, 08:42 AM
I adopted TK on Saturday! I drove out, met him and his daughter, Katy, and ended up strapping his cage in and driving 1 1/2 hours with him back into the city. I must admit, he is the most mellow, sweet bird I have ever met! He is not yet hand tame, but once caught he will not bite. :wink:

He is also absolutely stunning to look at. I never understood what the term violet factor meant until I laid eyes on his rump.:omg: WOW!

When I arrived home, he and his cage went directly to my room for quarantine. Fenway's cage is in the living room. Mind you, aside from the bathroom, these are the only rooms in my apartment. Jessie had warned me that TK could be quite the escape artist so his cage door was securely locked. He was understandably quiet, adjusting to this strange new environment.

Within about 10-15 minutes the contact calls began. Fenway seemed boisterous. TK was rather reserved, but was responding. The dog was a bit confused, as the cages and chirping seemed to have multiplied...:confused:

After a few hours I decided to take a shower. When I got out, I had a bit of a shock. It seems as though I have a little Houdini of my very own. :x I found Fenway hanging onto the side of TKs cage trying to feed him.

I had no idea Fenway could get out of her cage! She has never done it before....needless to say, I am very upset about the quarantine being a bust. I am not too worried about them being ill, as both of them have been to a vet, but I feel like I failed and in the unlikely event that one of them does get sick it will be my fault.:very_sad: Guilt is not a good feeling.

Any suggestions for what I should do now? Clearly they seem to want to be near each other, and now that they have had contact, should I put them both in the same room?

Janie
11-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Carrie, I'm sure the sounds from another bird were just too much for Fenway to resist and while she's never tried to escape before, hearing another bird that close was an urge she could not resist! (Oliver went nuts the first time her realized there were other lovies in the house!). Anyway, as far as quarantine at this point, I think most here would suggest you continue it, even though Fenway more or less busted your plan. :D I know that's happened to members before and it was suggested to keep the quarantine plan.

Personally, I have no idea what you should do at this point so I'm gonna wait for Linda's opinion. Maybe because Jesse's birds were not around other birds and did have vet care, that would make a difference?

CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby! His photos are beautiful! I hope Fenway and TK will be best buddies in the future! :)

Sweetpeaches
11-12-2007, 09:46 AM
you shouldn't feel guilty..you did everything you could (or at least thot you could). TK sounds stunning. cute that fenway was trying to feed him.
wish you the best with your new lovie!

Flapjack
11-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Woohoo! Congrats on your new baby! I wish Jack had a buddy to cuddle.
Others will know better than I, but I would personally continue the quarantine.
The chances that anything could have been passed to Fenway is so much less in that minute or two you were away, than if you were to immediately keep them next to eachother with constant contact.
I'm sure that TK (Wrigley) was well taken care of- but with that said...
My new bird, Chino, is still in quarantine, after his vet visit showed a bacterial infection. His breeder is known for taking care of her birds, too, but the vet said that sometimes, bacteria that is already in the gut can grow out of control during times of stress, such as in a move to a new environment, with new germs for the system to learn.
Whatever you choose, enjoy your beautiful new fid!!

dani
11-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Just wanted to say congratulations on your lovely new addition!!
and despite the breaking quarantine, it is adorable that Fenway is already trying to feed him :lol...

graushill
11-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Congrats on your new addition! I had seen some pictures of TK before and I always thought he was really beautiful. I'm glad Fenway seems to be happy too. As for quarantine, I would probably try to continue it, maybe I would try to schedule TK's vet visit sooner if at all possible, but we'll see what other's have to say :).

Gloria

wilkiecoco
11-12-2007, 02:16 PM
congrats on the new addition to the family!!!! :happy:

carrier
11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Thank you everyone for your congrats and well-wishes for Wrigley (TK)! I must admit that it did warm my heart to see Fenway hanging onto the side of the cage, trying to feed her new friend!

TK is very timid, a bit shy, and extremely sweet birdie.:) Jessie did mention that he was usually the one that was picked on in her flock, and I can understand it a bit more now that I'm seeing just how mellow he is! I am also now realizing Fenway's behavior and antics are quite a bit more playful and rambunctious than I originally thought. Could this be attributed to the age difference, or is it just personality? (Fenway is not yet 1 and Wrigley is about 2)

Aside from my worries about the broken quarantine, I am now wondering if Fenway will try and be the alpha birdie in this new relationship. Are there certain things I can do to help prevent Fenway from becoming aggressive and bossy?

michael
11-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi Carrie. Just wanted to also say best wishes for your new Wrigley addition and that everyone gets along just fine. I'm sure you guessed by now a quarantine continuance is a must even though it was breached. Provided Fenway is healthy, a strong immune system can keep things in check even with exposure, if its limited. Hopefully nothing comes up through the rest of the quarantine period. I wish I could give you a definite answer to whether Fenway and Wrigley will get along. I suspect ultimately that it will be their decision and then various measures regarding care can be made accordingly. Supervision will be very important to be sure no harm comes to either of them in the meantime. Also, I'm not sure their age is significant enough to make any difference either. They really are both mature and one year doesn't seem that far apart. Perhaps others can share in their views who have had experience introducing their lovies. Again, best wishes...................Michael and Goofy

thebubbleking
11-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Congrats! Since fenway was trying to feed you your baby sounds like love at first chirp :D

Eliza
11-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Awww... I am so excited that TK found a loving home with you :) I love the new name, too!

Best wishes,

-e-