PDA

View Full Version : Washing Veggies

Christian
11-14-2007, 12:25 PM
So I have an odd question...but what do you guys do to wash veggies for your lovie? I usually buy pre washed veggies, and then just give them another good rinse or two, but my fiance recently bought kale that wasn't pre washed...and while I've been rinsing fanatically, I was just curious what everyone else does...
And for things like fruit, and peppers I usually use a squirt of soap and rinse really well..that's what I do for myself, and Estrella and I usually share :)
I have heard of using bleach water, but is this safe?

mjm8321
11-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Personally, I wouldn't use bleach on anything that is going to be ingested. :omg:

You can use GSE or there are veggie cleaners out there too, but I recently was reading that plain old baking soda is just as effective as those. If I have a concern with veggies, I'll usually blanch them in boling water for a minute or so and that will kill anything "bad". Usually, with kale that isn't organically grown; your two biggest issues with what might be on it are dirt and whatever they have used to spray for bugs. I have a hard time finding organic kale here, so I usually blanch the kale quickly.

bellarains
11-14-2007, 12:51 PM
I do use GSE(grapefruit seed extract) to wash my veggies. In fact, since I got birds, I even wash our veggies, which I did not do before. My birdies have made me so much more healthy:)

I mix about 10-20 drops of GSE with water in a spray bottle(depends on what size bottle you use). I spray down the veggies in a colander, and rinse them well after spraying.

Oh, one other healthy thing my birdies got me into was organic apple cider vinegar. I put a few drops in their drinking water once a week to help with any bad bacteria, and also take some myself a couple times a week. I won't swear to it, but it seems to keep us all healthy;)

carrier
11-14-2007, 01:17 PM
I understand washing veggies to eliminate pesticides and such, but what harm will a bit of dirt have?

It seems to me that birds have survived in the world for a very long time without the luxury of a super clean environment- and although I do clean both bird's cages/dishes and toys, as well as a good rinse of all veggies, I was under the impression that a hyper-clean environment might be a bit harmful, as exposure to some bacteria is beneficial in keeping a healthy immune system. :confused:

mjm8321
11-14-2007, 01:26 PM
I understand washing veggies to eliminate pesticides and such, but what harm will a bit of dirt have?

It seems to me that birds have survived in the world for a very long time without the luxury of a super clean environment- and although I do clean both bird's cages/dishes and toys, as well as a good rinse of all veggies, I was under the impression that a hyper-clean environment might be a bit harmful, as exposure to some bacteria is beneficial in keeping a healthy immune system. :confused:

Carrie,

The only reason I don't like to leave the dirt on (if it's store bought veggies) is I don't know what's in the soil either. If they are spraying insecticides, it's going to be in the soil as well. Now, with home grown fruits and veggies, I don't even wash them! :lol
Beleive me, I am a frim believer in "a little dir won't hurt!". I agree 100% with not be ultra clean with the birds, just like with a human child; you can't build up an immunity to things if you live in a sterile environment.

thebubbleking
11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
I just give my fruits and veggies a good rinse, if its fruit still on the branch i use my hand held shower:D

Janie
11-14-2007, 03:53 PM
I use GSE when rinsing food dishes that I've washed by hand but when it comes to their veggies, I rinse them in the sink with nothing but regular water. Since "regular" water may soon be a thing of the past in Atlanta (if it doesn't rain soon and a lot), I might have to figure out another way. Bottled water to rinse veggies! :rolleyes: