PDA

View Full Version : the wild parrots of telegraph hill

lucky melatonin
11-16-2007, 08:15 AM
have any of you guys seen "the wild parrots of telegraph hill"? i've been wanting to rent it. it has been eye-balling me in blockbuster for the past 3 weeks. however, i always get something else...:)

what do you think of it, if you've seen it? i think it's a book too..

Janie
11-16-2007, 08:24 AM
We've talked off and on about that movie here since the story became a movie. It aired here (Atlanta) for only one week and in only one theater but I saw it then and rented it again as soon as it came out on video. Then, I bought it! You could say I really, really liked it! :D I've seen it more than 5 times.....and still think about "Connor"...

Be prepared, it's an incredible movie/story but all true (documentary) and you might cry. My hubby did!

wilkiecoco
11-16-2007, 08:38 AM
it's an amazing documentary - absolutely fascinating!! it's definitely worth renting, or buying! :)

like janie said though, have some tissue paper handy.

ittyandrita
11-16-2007, 08:40 AM
i have to second (third) the having tissue paper on hand. you will cry. even the book made me cry. but it is definately worth seeing. I've even watched it (i own it) with several non-bird people who have enjoyed it.

Janie
11-16-2007, 08:45 AM
i have to second (third) the having tissue paper on hand. you will cry. even the book made me cry. but it is definately worth seeing. I've even watched it (i own it) with several non-bird people who have enjoyed it.

Rachel, the day I saw it in the theater, I asked several people, as we were leaving, if they had parrots and not a single one did! They'd just heard about the movie/book and knew it was something they wanted to see. Many tears were shed, even by non-bird folks.

lucky melatonin
11-16-2007, 03:56 PM
haha alright, thanks. everytime me and my boyfriend go to blockbuster i'm like "heyy, let's get this, look at the PARROTS!!" and he always seems really unsure/stand-offish about it (and he likes birds!) so i'm laying down the law next time, and we're getting it!

thanks.

Eliza
11-20-2007, 06:58 PM
I have read the book and watched the documentary. Both are really quite good and I do recommend them. I would say that it might not be suitable for young children but as adults, I think that most of us can handle the subject matter. You've been given fair warning, though: you may want to have tissues ready!

Interestingly enough, I was in FL over the weekend. On Monday I was walking up and down Las Olas (Ft. Lauderdale) and I SWEAR that I saw a flock of parrots. I kept hearing a rather parrot-like call coming from one of the trees and later saw a small flock of birds leave the area. I was too far away to get a close look but the moment reminded me a lot of The Parrots of Telegraph Hill.

Screamer
11-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Rent it.

unstuckpilgrim
11-25-2007, 03:56 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but I heard it was interesting. I have however, actually seen the birds. They nest in downtown SF near the financial district in the evenings. There's part of the area with a park that takes up maybe 1/3 of the block. There are huge trees and some fountains and at dusk, they all fly in. It's crazy. There are so many of them, that it doesn't just take a few minutes... they just keep coming.

And now that I've become a bird-lover, I should go back and check it out again!