PDA

View Full Version : What will two males do in a cage?

tquack
11-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi, i've got a blue-masked lovie and im about to get antother one tomorrow night. I want to plan ahead, so i have to ask what will 2 males do together in a cage? Will they fight or will they get a long? If they fight i will have to buy another cage.

Flapjack
11-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Sorry, but you'll need another cage, anyway. A new bird needs to be quarantined for a minumum of 30 days. (I've just been through this, myself).
Even if this was not the case, you wouldn't want to take a chance on just putting them together right away. They need to get to know eachother first. Lovies can be very territirial about their cages, and your new bird may get seriously injured or killed.

tquack
11-19-2007, 08:17 PM
k thx

kimsbirds
11-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Woahhh!!!
Hang on there...you're going to need a second cage ASAP.
There is no way you can just put a new bird in with your existing bird. They don't know each other and injury and/or death could result!
Your new bird will need to be quarantined for at least 30-60 days. Have your new bird checked out by a qualified avian vet to do testing for communicable diseases or illness that can be passed to your current bird.
After quarantine, you can set their cages side by side, so they can get acquainted.
After a few months of supervised playtime (out of cage) you can ATTEMPT a neutral cage for both of them. Watch for toe biting, feather picking, bloody wings and faces etc.

Males are generally more easy going than females, but there is absolutely no guarantee that things will work out.
So for now, you'll need 2 cages, and a multitude of toys (not interchangeable for now) and seperate dishes/baths etc as well as a totally different room in the house for airspace.

Mydoona
03-06-2008, 11:49 PM
when you finally put two bird together in one cage..do you have to change the cage around so the one living in it right now doesn't think it's their cage and theirs alone and try to fend off the other bird?
My Keiko is in the huge cage atm and when it's time for Mardi to go in there, I don't want there to be an issue.

Janie
03-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Woahhh!!!
Hang on there...you're going to need a second cage ASAP.
There is no way you can just put a new bird in with your existing bird. They don't know each other and injury and/or death could result!
Your new bird will need to be quarantined for at least 30-60 days. Have your new bird checked out by a qualified avian vet to do testing for communicable diseases or illness that can be passed to your current bird.
After quarantine, you can set their cages side by side, so they can get acquainted.
After a few months of supervised playtime (out of cage) you can ATTEMPT a neutral cage for both of them. Watch for toe biting, feather picking, bloody wings and faces etc.

Males are generally more easy going than females, but there is absolutely no guarantee that things will work out.
So for now, you'll need 2 cages, and a multitude of toys (not interchangeable for now) and seperate dishes/baths etc as well as a totally different room in the house for airspace.

Perfect! Kimmie covered all the bases! :)

LauraO
03-07-2008, 06:50 PM
when you finally put two bird together in one cage..do you have to change the cage around so the one living in it right now doesn't think it's their cage and theirs alone and try to fend off the other bird?
My Keiko is in the huge cage atm and when it's time for Mardi to go in there, I don't want there to be an issue.

To introduce birds I would not just put them in a cage cause they may never get along. You introduce them slowly outside of the cage, starting with setting their cages side by side. Yes, your existing bird does see their cage as their own and changing things around inside doesn't mean anything. Lovebirds are smart can know what cage is their's no matter what you do to the inside. :rolleyes: