PDA

View Full Version : Home Body

Lil-princess
11-26-2007, 11:22 PM
My lovebird, Kiwi, will rarely come out of his cage. It's almost like he's scared that if he comes out something bad will happen to him, but if I close his cage door he will be really loud:eek: . After a long time when he decides to come out he will run under the table and try to distroy it. Also if I get up off the chair Kiwi will run back to his cage at top speed. Is there anything I can do to get him to come out of his cage and to stay out longer then 2 minutes?

linda040899
11-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Other than putting something outside his cage that might entice his interest, all you can do is be patient. This is a trust/security issue and it can take time for Kiwi to be comfortable in his situation. Attention, attention and more attention, even if it's only sitting near his cage and talking to him, will help him realize that he's not in any danger if he comes out of his cage. The only thing I can liken it to is a human who stays home and inside because they are afraid of the outside world when they go outside of their leave what they consider to be safe.

Patience..................

LauraO
11-27-2007, 04:00 PM
The key to building any relationship is patience and consistency. If you are only letting Kiwi out of his cage periodically, then he has no time to build trust. Lovie should have attention and out of cage time daily, which willl help enhance Kiwi's life and your desire to get him more comfortable with you.

thebubbleking
11-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Patience and treats, as always lovebirds will do what they want how they want when they want lol

Lil-princess
11-28-2007, 09:52 PM
O.k thank you I've tried putting millet outside his cage but he just stares at me almost like he's saying ya right, I don't get tricked that easily then he will sit there so happy because he knows he got his way:rolleyes: So I will just give it time and pay lots of attention to Kiwi.