PDA

View Full Version : different lovebird species compatibility

amerianz
12-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Hi all, Charlie and I have a question to put to you-
Charlie, my (likely) female, fischers lovie, is in need of a friend.. Also I am getting v clucky looking at all those sweet babies in the pics on here!
But more than that, I am likely to be travelling for several months, if not more, towards mid to late 08, and while Charlie gets along famously with my parents, choosing my mums shoulder over mine as his favorite perch should she ever enter a room they dont have the same one on one I have with him, and I do not want to leave him without company.
As such, I am looking at getting a second lovie now, so that hopefully by the time I leave they will get along.
HOWEVER, and this is where my question comes in, I wish to get another type other than fischers (particularly some beautiful 6wo seagreens I found recently in my area), but Ive heard conflicting views of how well different species get along.
How well do the different species usually get along? which ones are most compatible?

kimsbirds
12-04-2007, 10:40 PM
I don't find that species plays much of a role in compatibility.
I think it's more a bird thing...they either get along, or they don't, regardless of species.
That being said, you'll want to be VERY careful about buying either sex as a companion to your bird.
I would DNA your bird first before looking for another.
Reason being, if yours IS a girl, getting a boy will result in babies unless they are ALWAYS caged seperately. Mixed breeding produces hybrids, which ultimately affects the pure gene pool for each species, not to mention that you have babies who don't have an identity to conform to...they are 'some fischers and some _____'
If you have a female and buy another female, you won't likely be able to cage them together, even after quarantine and supervised visits...females are cage aggressive, generally speaking and fights are likely, as well as bloodshed, especially when hormones get into play.
Get DNA sexing done, and we'll go from there :) ?