PDA

View Full Version : HOw to improve my relationship between my birds.

tquack
12-07-2007, 08:29 PM
I have 2 birds who are not in the same cage yet. Buddy, the first of my birds, will let me stroke him and put one foot on my finger, but he will not completly get on my finger. Any specific tips on how to get him on my finger faster would be great.
My other bird, Sparky (who we have had for around 2 1/2 weeks) will not let me get near him to handfeed him or anything. Is he still getting used to his surroundings, or should i stick my hand in his cage and hold it still for him to get used to it? Anything other than "be patient" would be nice. Although it is true, it is not very helpful.

Flapjack
12-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Be patient... :nyah: Yep it's true.

Ok- have you tried just opening the door and letting them come out on their own? Sit near the cage and talk softly to them but don't just keep looking at them. They might think you're staring (like a predator) and be nervous. Open and close your eyes slowly and often, like you're totally relaxed.
Do something quiet... read to them, or play with some beads, or a small piece of paper, make it look interesting. If they're on a table or desk or something, sprinkle some treats between you and the cage. Have something for you to eat as well.

Worth a try...:)

thebubbleking
12-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Lol i understand how you feel so i won't say it...
Treats can be used to coax them to step up and lucky for you you have 2 birds so they can learn from each other.
Also i have found if you make a real big deal out of every little step they love it for example when your lovie puts it's foot on your finger gush "oooh what a good boy? whos the smart lovebird you are!" etc
Hope that helped a little:)

tquack
12-07-2007, 08:47 PM
how do i use the treat to coax him? do i hold out my finger for him to step on while using my other hand to hold the millet?

tokameaki
12-07-2007, 09:41 PM
my chichi doesnt let me touch him but he nibbles my fingers when i am busy texting with my cell...:rofl:

michael
12-08-2007, 06:01 AM
Anything other than "be patient" would be nice. Although it is true, it is not very helpful.

how do i use the treat to coax him? do i hold out my finger for him to step on while using my other hand to hold the millet?

Because Buddy is already playing footsies with you shows he has began to trust you. Sparky is as you had mentioned, still getting used to his surroundings....."Step up" maneuvers are very important in that they not only help you to handle your birds but also result in a much needed interaction built on trust. In very rare cases some birds will simply never take that first step regardless of what you do. Most of the time though they will respond to some degree, at the least by stepping onto a dowel stick instead of your finger. If you place your hand in the cage and get bit, obviously thats where using a dowel is more safe for you. Some poeple will use a stick anyways and after spending time outside the cage together will eventually gain the trust needed so their bird will step onto their hand instead. Yes, you could use a treat with your other hand or place it between your fingers so you don't have to use both. There is really no specific idea's anyone can offer that is guaranteed to result in a quick response. We could provide a page of them and you would be no further ahead unless you give them time. Sometimes I think poeple should look at the reasons why birds won't interact with them instead of trying to find reasons they should. Some birds don't trust all your fingers and will only hop onto one. Some don't trust your whole hand and will only hop onto your arm or a stick. Others fly away at the sight of red fingernail polish or brightly coloured clothing. On the other hand we all know exactly what works best, and is the "most" helpful. And that would be "patience" :D ..............Michael and Goofy