PDA

View Full Version : Look what happened!

tquack
12-08-2007, 11:42 AM
I took my lovies out of their cages for the first time today! They took a long time to come out, but it was worth the wait when they did! Sparky came out first, flew all around the room, and landed on the valence on our blinds. Then Buddy followed and went right to the valence. It was the first time they've came into contact except for talking to each other through their cages. They got next to each other, talked for a while, and then rubbed together. Soon they were grooming each other and giving birdie kisses! I took this new avatar pic of them together. Sparky is on the left and Buddy is on the right.

thebubbleking
12-08-2007, 03:00 PM
:clap
congrats soon you will join the rest of us asking how to get poop off your couch and your drapes and your bed and your........

tquack
12-08-2007, 03:42 PM
i'm happy that their getting along, but it's not really what i wanted. What i wanted was for them to fly around and get REALLY tired, then they wouldn't have enough energy to fly or run away when i tried to pick them up. My mom and dad, who used to raise parakeets, used to let them fly around, and by the end of it, they would be so tired that you could pick them up and kiss them on the head.

thebubbleking
12-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Ah the old wear them out to give kisses and scritches!
I have found they are most up for cuddles when they start bobbing to sleep, But with enough patience you wont need to wear them out they will come to you looking for it!

Elle
12-08-2007, 04:56 PM
i'm happy that their getting along, but it's not really what i wanted. What i wanted was for them to fly around and get REALLY tired, then they wouldn't have enough energy to fly or run away when i tried to pick them up. My mom and dad, who used to raise parakeets, used to let them fly around, and by the end of it, they would be so tired that you could pick them up and kiss them on the head.

If that ever happens, you'll have to tell me your secret. My birds are active non stop and never seem to get tired. Lord! I get exhausted before they do just by watching them!:lol

michael
12-09-2007, 08:08 AM
Sounds like Sparky's going to be the adventurous one. Great to hear they are getting along together. My lovie gets tired out a couple times a day but recuperates in about five minutes after a pit stop. Then its back to business as usual. At least waking up and bedtimes are relatively consistent, of course there has been a few times he wanted to stay up past his bedtime :)................Michael and Goofy lovebird

sphinxface
12-09-2007, 10:20 AM
If they aren't hand tame how do you get them back in their cage after their adventure?? Isn't it bad to just grab them?

tquack
12-09-2007, 10:58 AM
They wen't back in themselves. They flew down on top of the cages, went down the side, and went back in. The hard thing is making sure that they go back into their OWN cages! But if they absolutly won't go back in, you could use a VERY SOFT net meant for birds only. I got one at PetSmart.

sphinxface
12-09-2007, 01:55 PM
They wen't back in themselves. They flew down on top of the cages, went down the side, and went back in. The hard thing is making sure that they go back into their OWN cages! But if they absolutly won't go back in, you could use a VERY SOFT net meant for birds only. I got one at PetSmart.

Nets aren't traumatic?
My bird doesn't come out of his cage at all, I don't think he would b e able to find his way back in if he did get out and off the cage, he is clipped too though...

tquack
12-09-2007, 02:44 PM
well the nets are VERY hard to use correctly. By correctly i maen actually catching the bird. And yes, they are afraid of them but not horrified.