PDA

View Full Version : Birds seem spooked today ...

Buy A Paper Doll
07-12-2005, 07:50 PM
I came home today to find that we had a thunderstorm and lost power at some point in the day while I was at work. They've never seemed to be bothered by storms much. I've seen Melody flinch when lightning gets close but she seems to be fine otherwise. But today when I came home, the birds were acting wierd. It took Melody 45 minutes to come out of her cage when I got home from work - and Milo was not even remotely interested in seeing her, he was very quiet and wanted to stay with me.

The only thing I can think of is that normally I play the radio for them all day when I'm gone, but the power outage knocked out the radio and it didn't come back on when the power did.

Any thoughts?

BarbieH
07-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Hey Jennifer;

Is this the first storm they've experienced while you were not at home to protect them? Also, it's possible that the power outage was accompanied by some kind of surge in the house, and with birds being as sensitive as they are, they may have been put on high alert from it.

Hope they are all feeling better soon. I'm sure some millet and extra comfort from you, especially for Milo, will put things right. Then he can comfort his bird. ;)

Buy A Paper Doll
07-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Come to think of it, the only other time something like this happened, I only had Milo and he was very quiet then, too.

They spent a good half hour climbing in and out of my shirt (note to self: trim nails on both birds :eek: ), then I had a few minutes of one on one time with each bird before putting them to bed.

shylevon
07-13-2005, 12:33 AM
It sounds like normal behavior to me. They probably heard a huge bang of lightning before the power went out, and then blackness. Birds get very quiet when they think danger may be near. They should be fine by tomorrow.

sdgilley
07-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Mine don't seem affected by storms much, but they do get quiet. Sometimes they get spooked by strangers. It sounds like your birdies just reacted normally to a scarey situation.

Buy A Paper Doll
07-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Even though they've never acted like they were bothered by lightning before, this evening we had (yet another) thunderstorm and both birds freaked out.

Poor babies.

It's going to be a loooooooong summer. :roll:

Elle
07-14-2005, 12:09 AM
I think they are very concerned because their little birdie instinct tells them that the iron from the cage could attract the lightning and they could get electrocuted while mommy is not home. When mommy is home, they get to hide on her. :eek: They are very smart little birdies :whistle: