PDA

View Full Version : Taming multiple lovebirds

Tobi
12-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Hello!

I'm from Brisbane, Australia, and I'm hoping to have some birds very soon. I've ordered a 120cmH x 70cmW x 60cmD cage.

Lovebirds are my favourite birds and always have been (Next to Princess Parrots, but unfortunately won't be getting them until I have an aviary). I've read in various places that if you get two lovebirds, they will bond to each other and not be tame. I'd rather a tame lovebird than a cockatiel, but I'd also rather two lovebirds rather than one. I'd feel so guilty getting just one. They seem like such social birds.

If they will not tame, I plan on getting a cockatiel, 2 lovebirds (The ones with eye rings... They are SO cute) and 2 Gouldian finches, if they're compatible.

Or, what about ditching the finches and getting 4 lovebirds?

Opinions would really be appreciated! I know tons about any other animal, but birds are the one animal I've never kept, so I'm really excited!

linda040899
12-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Hi Tobi and welcome to our community!
I breed and keep lovebirds and I have to agree that they are very social birds. You can successfully keep just one but all of mine are in pairs for companionship when I'm not here, if that's what they want. It's so cute to see them snuggled up together when they sleep and that's something I can't do for them.

It's very possible to have 2 lovebirds and have either one or both remain cuddly and tame. It all depends on the amount of attention they get from you once you've tamed them. If you can get 2 that are already tame, that would be great but, with time, patience and attention, you can tame one that has not been well socialized. I'm not going to tell you it would be easy, but it's not mission impossible.

Have you thought about getting a male/female pair or are you planning to get 2 males? The reason I'm asking is because, eventually, male/female will = offspring. Lovebirds can be very prolific breeders and a pair can produce quite a few babies in 12 months! A number of our members thought they had same sex pairs only to find a hen laid eggs and hatched babies! Two males will get along nicely but hens tend to be territorial in/around their cages so you may not be able to house 2 females in the same cage, regardless of size!

Tobi
12-11-2007, 11:28 PM
To be honest with you, I love the idea of breeding... I have two extra smaller cages sitting around so I would have somewhere to keep offspring if I couldn't sell them, and I only work part time so I would definitely be up for the commitment. I'm going to do a heap of research on breeding though before I make that decision. I have bred fish in the past and I think it's so fascinating.

I'm so glad I can get 2 and still be able to interact with them! When I find a breeder, which has proven difficult, I'm sure I'll be able to find some tame ones.

When I add the birds to the cage, should I add all birds at once? Will there be aggression issues if birds are added later than others?

Thanks so much!!

linda040899
12-12-2007, 12:14 AM
If you have a large flight cage, you generally put all birds in at once and watch the interaction carefully. It's best to have odd pairs (1, 3, 6) rather than even pairs, although a lot depends on the birds, themselves. Once birds have been added, the flight cage becomes closed and no more birds can be added. That's just the way lovebirds are. I, personally, don't use flight cages for breeding. I find I have better control if it's one pair per cage.

Read through our breeding forum for specifics on what to do and what not to do. That section of our community is information intensive and there's most likely very few questions you may have that you won't be able to find answers for.

Tobi
12-12-2007, 01:02 AM
I'll have to think long and hard about what birds I want in there then! If I'm going to be breeding then I'd probably prefer only one pair of lovebirds because then I can control it more effectively.

Thanks for all your help!