PDA

View Full Version : Sorry did I wake you?

sphinxface
12-14-2007, 03:26 AM
Is it okay if I visit Beezle in the night? I'm sure he's asleep but of course his little eyes pop open once I open the door to his room. (the spare room has become the bird room now :D)
YEEK!

Two other things, updates;

I think Beezle has attempted to "throw up" on his favorite toy, does that mean he is a boy?

He actually came out of the cage when I left his door open one day and now he seems a little more curious about the outside world, but I still have to coax him with toys and food :blush:
I tried to set up a perch outside his cage and he wanted to get to his toy that I was playing with, but he ended up missing by a long shot and bouncing off my shoulder and back into his cage :lol

michael
12-14-2007, 07:31 AM
Thats good to hear Beezle is attempting to get out and about. He/she is surely getting to trust you more, even if your not the primary reason for coming out yet......As far as visiting Beezle at night. Lovebirds can awaken during the night quite often in response to general noises that occur when "everyones" asleep. Dogs outside or cars passing by may get a peep or two as well as a sneaky trip to the refrigerator. Thats normal. Waking up Beezle can give some anticipation/expectations if done by you and can result in a cranky bird who dozes off too much during the day. Thats not a good thing. I'm guilty of peeking in once in a great while too but prefer to let my lovebird sleep the 10 hours he needs as they really do need their rest......With regurgitation, although males do appear to take on this behavior more than females before any breeding takes place, this won't indicate whether Beezle is male or female as both sexes feed their young by regurgitating. It is though interesting to hear how some poeple try to figure out their sex without DNA testing. They say the female rests her tail closer to the ground than the males. :confused: :) ..............Michael and Goofy

Estee
12-14-2007, 08:04 AM
We've had Tutti since May 22, when he was estimated at 3-4 months old. (He still had that darling black beak. :)) He's never regurgitated on anything, nor, um, made any passes at our computer mouse or anything. Might that mean he's not a boy?

sphinxface
12-14-2007, 08:06 AM
I guess the only real way to tell before you get it DNA tested is if it lays an egg!
Will they lay eggs without a nest box type deal?

Estee
12-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Nah, I know that. It's just fun to speculate.

michael
12-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Will they lay eggs without a nest box type deal?

Yes, and you may find one or more on the floor one day as a little surprize. Should this happen, the proper steps need to be taken to prevent excessive egg production that can be detrimental to your lovebirds health. Usually placing the egg/s on some tissue in a small suitable container and offering it to her will let her finish out this process safely. After about 23 days instinctively she should abandon the eggs, be somewhat satisfied (hopefully), and return to her normal sweet self. Then you can remove the container, eggs and all. Should Beezle ever lay egg/s eventually, please let us know. That way if there's any difficulty such as egg binding you can obtain good advice ahead of time. Hope this helps :) ..........Michael and Goofy

thebubbleking
12-14-2007, 05:45 PM
both my hen and my male gack to each other i dont think it is a male or female thing as much as a " i love this object" thing.

Just my 2 cents:D