PDA

View Full Version : Happy Holidays, Friends!

DebSpace
12-16-2007, 09:00 PM
:cold Just stopped in to say "hi" to those who remember me and give a brief update. My husband and I are still working two jobs to make ends meet. If you recall, his mom had alzheimer's and my aunt (never married, no children) also developed alzheimer's and appointed me her power of attorney - not an easy task. My mother-in-law just passed away in November and my aunt is now in a nursing home. Then, the winter ice storm last week left us without power for a few days last week, so I rushed all my fids to my parents house. So keep those emergency supplies handy - I'm glad I had carriers and towels where I could grab them quickly. In spite of it all, we have many blessings and are trying to make the best of it.

My birds are all healthy and happy - albeit not exactly as planned. Beau, the black masked, rotates between Nip (female black masked) and Skylee (white faced seagreen). Nip did lay two eggs about six weeks ago, but they were duds (I did candle them, though, to be sure). Keeghan (my dark green beauty from Eric) wants to be with Skylee more than anything, but sometimes she likes him and sometimes she likes Beau! Those four are my soap opera portion of the flock.

Then there is Sophie, Skylee's sister, and adorable orange face Tobin. They are so completely in love and sweet to each other that it is absolute joy to watch them together. I was excited last month because Sophie also laid four eggs. Eric and I are anxious to see what colors result from their unique combination of coloring. Alas, she sat on them passionately and gave up on them hatching a few days ago. I did transport her inside her box last week as carefully as possible, so I hope that didn't cause her to stop sitting on them. I had not candled them because I wanted them to hatch, but when she gave up I pulled them out and candled them and they are duds as well. Tobin has been good to consistently feed Sophie while she was nesting, but she is still thinner than I want her to be. I'm increasing the amount of her veggies and mixing them into a plain scrambled egg with a pinch of millet. Any other recommendations are welcome. I'm not giving up on babies for these two, though - the future seems bright for these truly in love lovebirds.

Sorry to have written a book to you - I think of each of you often and miss our chats. I hope one day that will change. I now work fulltime at a university, so I have two weeks off for the holidays and will drop in during that time, too. Wishing all flock members/admins a very safe, blessed and happy holiday season. Love, deb and fids
:ho:

zlatushka
12-16-2007, 10:13 PM
I was just wondering about you :D

Glad to see you're still alive and that everyone made it through the storm alright. Hopefully, things will ease up for you soon and we'll be able to have your company more often again.

kiss those fids for us all :) (and see if you can't get a handle on that soap opera... sheesh! :rofl: )

Keltoth
12-17-2007, 12:32 AM
VERY glad to see you drop in, Deb! I was wondering if you and yours were effected by the ice-storms, and I'm happy to hear that you've come through alright and intact.

That's disappointing to hear about the dud eggs, but it will just make the chicks that much sweeter when they finally do arrive. If you get any current pictures of the lovies taken, send a few winging my way; I'd love to see the guys and gals, and I'll bet Tobin is looking GREAT by now (his clutch-brother Mikey sure is!).

Thanks for stopping by and letting us know how you are doing. Happy Christmas!

- Eric

graushill
12-17-2007, 03:50 AM
Hi Deb,

Thanks for the update and the greetings. I never did chat with you but I enjoyed your albums in the photo section and remember specially one of Beau and/or Nip swinging merrily to music :) .

I'm sorry about your family members with Alzheimer's. It's a difficult disease to live and cope with. I guess all one can do is hope and pray that a cure or at least a treatment for it is discovered soon.

::window: Happy holidays to you and yours too!:treetrim:

Gloria

wilkiecoco
12-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Hi Deb,

It was so nice to hear an update from you - glad to hear that all is going well with your lovie family. It sounds like you have gone through some rough patches - I hope that things stay calmer, and that this holiday season brings you and your family, humans and fids, peace and happiness. :)

Buy A Paper Doll
12-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi Deb!! <waves>

Unfortunately I'm all too familiar with how difficult and time consuming it is to care for someone with Alzheimer's disease, as I am POA for an Alzheimer's patient as well.

But I'm so glad to hear from you; I've been wondering how you're doing. :)

butterfly1061
12-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Hey Deb!

Been wondering where you've been :) Glad to hear everything turned out ok during the ice storm. My brother's been out driving your way and it's been too cold! Keep warm and come visit during your holiday vacation :D

Kathryn
12-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Well well. Happy to hear your lovies faired well thru the weather.
Sorry to hear about your family.

Like minds run in similiar chanels: I had printed out your info just before the ice storm and electrical outages so I could contact you.
You beat me to it.

Merry Christmas and New Year blessings to you and yours.

bellarains
12-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Hey Deb,

It's good to hear from you. I am happy to hear that you have a positive attitude, as it will help you get through it all. Whenever I feel overwhelmed, I tell myself God would not give me more that I could handle, and it seems to help me through it. It doesn't always feel that way, but we do prevail with a positive attitude, so keep it going:)

I hope you, your family, and your flock have a wonderful Christmas, and a Happy New Year!!!!

Eliza
12-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Deb,

I don't know how I missed your post! You certainly have been missed.

Kind thoughts your way,

-e-

DebSpace
12-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Hey, I appreciate all the kind words & well-wishes. Nice to hear from so many of my bird-family friends again. :happy: I do hope to chime in a little more often again now. Kathryn, did you, your flock, etc., fair okay through our crazy weather? I thought about you during our bird evacuation, too! It's snowing here tonight. . .again.