PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for Gordon the Bunner

LauraO
12-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Some of you may remember about year and a half ago my husband and I saved a crotchety old bun from euthanization. Well we named him Gordon and he has been speding his days happily lopping around our living room, eating greens, and lounging in his litterbox.

Unfortunaly,we recently noticed a growth on Gordon's jaw, which turns out to be an abcessed tooth. Unfortunately, this is a serious and difficult thing to treat in bunnies so Gordon has few options. The first option is surgery to remove the abcess and then pack the tooth that is infected and treat it and pack it daily. The success rate for one sugery is less than 30% and Gordon is not tame so he could not handle having his mouth pried open and treated daily. The other option, which also has low outcomes, is long term penicillian injections and pain meds. We have opted for this route because it will be easier on us and Gordon to do the injections rather than the surgery and aftercare. He is not a young Bunner. He is old, has catteracts, healed from hawksores, and had been living outdoors up until he came to live with us. Our purpose with Gordon, was to give him a good place to live out his remaining bun years and this we have done.

We do love Gordon and he could use all the well-wishes he can get as he begins an uphill battle:cry: .

bellarains
12-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Ah Laura, poor Gordon, I will definitely put his little bunny butt in my prayers. You and your hubby have given him a life of luxury in his golden years, and I know he loves you too in his own way.

Get well soon Bun!!!!

michael
12-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Oh thats awful :(. Can't they just pull the one tooth out? On a few elderly cats we had to have all their teeth pulled because they were in so much pain and couldn't eat. I know, they don't really compare to a bunny :roll:...Poor Gordon baby buns. He certainly has all the well wishes from this end of town. Many prayers this will work out somehow...........Michael and Goofy lovebird

LauraO
12-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Oh thats awful :(. Can't they just pull the one tooth out? On a few elderly cats we had to have all their teeth pulled because they were in so much pain and couldn't eat. I know, they don't really compare to a bunny :roll:...Poor Gordon baby buns. He certainly has all the well wishes from this end of town. Many prayers this will work out somehow...........Michael and Goofy lovebird

Apparently, bunnies' mouths are unique and their teeth are way in the back of their mouths and their jaws don't open in a way a cat's or dog's does to pull teeth. I was reading that up until very recently, they used to take out the abcess, jaw area and eye near the infected area. The reading I did confirmed what our vet has said about the difficulty in treating buns :confused: .

carrier
12-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Poor little Bun-bun!

Please know that Gordon will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Can you offer him baby-food veggies??? Perhaps that will help him eat more comfortably.

mjm8321
12-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Poor Gordon! I hope the shots will help him live comfortably; hopping around the living room.

I have personal experience with an absesed tooth and, man, I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. :x Hopefully the course you are taking will help the fella out. :grouphug: for Gordon.

Eliza
12-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Poor sweet Gordon... I'll definitely be thinking of him!

dani
12-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Poor bun-bun.... we'll be praying for him over here too!

DebSpace
12-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Praying for you, Gordon Bun...you, too, Laura.
:grouphug1

linda040899
12-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Laura,
I'm very sorry to hear about Gordon! I will keep him in my thoughts and hope that all will be well for him!

:grouphug1

tokameaki
12-28-2007, 01:23 PM
my prayers to gordon....

LauraO
12-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks everyone. Gordon appreciates it. He took his first shot pretty well, and the vet tech showed us how to give him the shot. I don't think it will be that difficult and he doesn't act like he can really feel it, or the pain is in no way comparable to the tooth pain he is feeling. He gets one every 48hours for 30 days and I guess we will reasess him at that point.

I'll let everyone know how it goes

Janie
12-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Laura, I am sorry to hear about Gordon. I hope things go well for him and am glad to hear that he didn't seem to mind that first shot too much.

wilkiecoco
12-28-2007, 06:12 PM
i'll be sending only positive thoughts and vibes your way - i hope gordon finds some pain relief from the shots. :)

Flapjack
12-28-2007, 06:21 PM
I hope Gordon feels better soon!

LauraO
01-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Well Gordon had his recheck last night and things are looking up! We have been VERY VERY diligent in giving him medication and his abscess has dried up and shrinking. The vet expects him to recover but we have to give him another month of antibiotic shots, which has gotten more difficult since he's feeling better.

This is very very good news though I am not getting too excited yet. The vet expected less than a 20% chance of recovery and said he's never had one success with this treatment. Hopefully, the success will continue.

So keep Gordon in your thoughts and prayers cause it's working so far!

ittyandrita
01-25-2008, 12:09 PM
there's a first time for everything!

Janie
01-25-2008, 04:27 PM
there's a first time for everything!

I totally agree with that way of thinking! Why not Gordon, this first time! :)

I'm so happy to hear he's doing better, Laura, and will keep my fingers crossed for the bunny boy. :)

michael
01-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Thats great news Laura :). Thoughts and prayers for his little buns, and hugs to you for taking such good care of him.

zlatushka
01-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Get better soon, Gordon!!

We'll be looking for updates, Laura. :) Our prayers are with you all!

cp.lovebird
01-25-2008, 09:32 PM
I'll add some prayers from Canada for Gordon too! He's one lucky bun to have you taking such great care of him. :)

bellarains
01-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Laura,

I am so happy to hear Gordon is doing better. If any bunny ever had a chance at whipping this, I know Gordon does, cause he has you in his corner:)