PDA

View Full Version : mixed birds?

Mydoona
12-29-2007, 09:56 PM
I am starting fulltime work and won't have much time to spend with my baby.
I wanted to get her a 'friend' to keep her company. My partner wants a Cockatiel..do lovebirds and cockatiels get along? She is about eight months old now and loves me to death.
thanks

kimsbirds
12-29-2007, 10:22 PM
If she is that bonded to you, I'm afraid your efforts to find her a companion would be in vain. She won't likely accept a new bird in the home.
That being said, if she does take to a newcomer, be prepared for your relationship with her to take a step or two back.
You won't be able to cage a tiel and a lovie together. Side by side cages would work, at best.
They may not ever tolerate each other, or they may be OK.
I guess what I am trying to say is that it depends on the personalities of each bird. What concerns me is how bonded she is to you, and if that will suffer with a new bird, or if the new bird will suffer.

She may do alright on her own actually. It would take some adjustments and lots of bonding time when you are home with her. New toys, a bigger cage, a window to watch out, all might help her with the transition to you being away fulltime.

If I were in your shoes, I would not, at this time, get a new bird. I would wait to see how she reacts to the changes.

Best Wishes

Sweetpeaches
12-29-2007, 10:41 PM
i agree. see how it goes first with you working. that is one of the main reason i didn't think i should have a parrot, because of my work schedule, but some friends of mine bought me peaches (lovie) for my birthday and it worked out well...so well i also got a caique. just because i wanted one.
they both do very well during the day while i'm at work. i spend a few minutes with them in the morning and then when i get home from work i take turns taking them out before they go to bed. and weekends when i'm home they're out much more. it does kinda make me feel better knowing peaches has bailey to "talk to" while i'm away. i've just started introducing them, and it's a slow process. they don't attack each other but they're not big buds yet either. they may be eventually, but maybe not...i love them both and enjoy them both very much....good luck.