PDA

View Full Version : Nana's got issues...

armageddon1024
01-08-2008, 04:37 AM
Nana (http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2150355001&size=l) is such a territorial bird. She's a Lutino (I think) pied. I've had her the longest, over two years now. She recently became a mother when I paired her with Avery, a Dutch Blue. At first she was snippy at him, but her hormones got the best of her and she courted him and they were paired. Any other bird, she's very aggressive with. No human hand stuck in the cage leaves without a bite mark. She'll attack your finger when you put it on the outside of the cage. By the way, it's not just a nibble, it's a miniature shark bite; she can penetrate the skin if you give her three seconds more. She's got some issues.

When I first got her, she was aggressive, but not as bad as she is now. I tried isolating her for months, giving her her own toys, tried to get her out to roam, she used to be paired with another female bird (thought it was a male at first), but she escaped the cage, still that didn't tame her. I don't know what to do. I'm just glad she gave me two beautiful chicks. Other than that, she's a menace in the cage.

I know I won't get much help with her, so I'm thinking of giving her away after her next batch of babies. I don't know who'd want her though =(

michael
01-08-2008, 06:59 AM
When you say menace in the cage I have to ask does she have her own cage? Can you continue to work with her on an individual basis? You know, Nana may not receive the same level of care and understanding your able to offer her now, and giving away/rehoming her would be a shame unless you knew the new owner would accept and provide for her all the comforts of a loving home. Because she has protected with her very own life the space in which she bare her own young, she really deserves the very best care possible. I hope your able to make this decision in her best interest.

armageddon1024
01-08-2008, 06:57 PM
When you say menace in the cage I have to ask does she have her own cage? Can you continue to work with her on an individual basis? You know, Nana may not receive the same level of care and understanding your able to offer her now, and giving away/rehoming her would be a shame unless you knew the new owner would accept and provide for her all the comforts of a loving home. Because she has protected with her very own life the space in which she bare her own young, she really deserves the very best care possible. I hope your able to make this decision in her best interest.

She's with Avery, her partner, with the other pair, Gloria and Mumble and their chick, Aden. The two couples have their own nest, and I've just recently moved them in their new 4'' something cage. They have more space now to fly freely. I have been trying to tame her, I've looked up how to tame aggressive birds but I can't afford to be injured anymore. I know there are some untamed birds who have potential to be tamed, but I assure you Nana's behavior is pretty much etched in stone. Like I said, I was only thinking about it.