PDA

View Full Version : Probably should have removed it?

beckyg
01-09-2008, 02:06 PM
A while back I purchase a perch like this one:

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=11438

On the one I bought, the cement ring thingy is black instead of orange.
I put it on the top of Luna's cage so she could perch there when she is out. Well, when I put it up there Luna wasn't interested in it at all and I didn't give it anymore thought. Recently I noticed she was chewing on the cement ring thingy and pieces were coming off and she seemed to be chewing on the pieces that she broke off. I don't know whether she ate them or not, but I didn't think she should have it so I removed it. I know it probably seems like a no brainer, I know she isn't to have grit, but did I do the right thing, or was it okay for her to have?

Janie
01-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Becky, in my opinion you did the right thing by removing it. I'm sure mine have nibbled on things they shouldn't when I wasn't looking but if I see them eating anything that should not be eaten, I remove it. While most toys are safe, some of their "parts" might not be so checking toys, perches, swings, happy huts, etc. often is necessary to be sure they aren't getting at something they shouldn't.

LauraO
01-09-2008, 05:12 PM
They have natural grapevine perches you can screw to the top of cages. Maybe this is something you can get for the top of Luna's cage.

I would have removed the perch as well. While most birds don't ingest what they chew on, there are plenty who do and it can cause serious problems.

Z28Taxman
01-09-2008, 06:00 PM
The cement used for bird perches is usually edible, it's basically just calcium. In fact on the Penn Plax website they concrete swings and perches that have crushed seashells added for extra calcium. If in doubt you could ask Penn Pllax or your vet.

You can email them and ask them at: consumerservice@pennplax.com

beckyg
01-10-2008, 08:20 AM
The cement used for bird perches is usually edible, it's basically just calcium. In fact on the Penn Plax website they concrete swings and perches that have crushed seashells added for extra calcium. If in doubt you could ask Penn Pllax or your vet.

You can email them and ask them at: consumerservice@pennplax.com
That was kind of what I was wondering. It looks like little rocks and I just took the ring off of the perch, it comes right off so I can still use the perch, but it was so easy for her to bite pieces off of it. I didn't think she could have broken off real cement, but then again I have been wrong before. Also, I looked at the package it came on and it doesn't say anything about what is in it. Is there no law that they have to list the ingredients on bird toys and things? Thanks for the info, I will look into that. If it is something she could have, she enjoyed it so I would like to give it back.

Janie
01-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Becky, next time you're out and about doing some bird shopping, see if you can find a lava rock. They attach to the cage and my three love them. Oliver was a bit fearful when I first put one in his cage but he got over it and started nibbling at it.

beckyg
01-10-2008, 08:29 AM
[QUOTE=LauraO;102023]They have natural grapevine perches you can screw to the top of cages. Maybe this is something you can get for the top of Luna's cage.
[QUOTE]

I know, I should have bought a natural perch, but what happened was that I talked my mom and sister into going to this bird store with me that I had been dying to go to. I went in and was just in awe of all of the birds and was there for quite a long time looking and talking to all of them. My mom was getting antsy and I wanted to buy some things for Luna, well I made some quick decisions because I didn't want her to leave. There were so many things to look at and I couldn't find anything that was just right so at the last minute I grabbed a few things. One of which was this perch. I know it sounds stupid, but that is the truth. It really wasn't a horrible buy, I just didn't know what the ring that she was eating was made of.

beckyg
01-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Becky, next time you're out and about doing some bird shopping, see if you can find a lava rock. They attach to the cage and my three love them. Oliver was a bit fearful when I first put one in his cage but he got over it and started nibbling at it.

I know I am over-posting :D. Okay, sounds good I will look for one. I had wanted to go to the bird fair that was here in december to get some stuff, but it was the same day as my work Christmas Party and I was travelling to Nashville. :( I guess I will just have to wait until next time. I do plan on going back to the bird store when I can spend some more time looking.