PDA

View Full Version : New bebeh, all alone...

HaleBoppPeachyluv
01-14-2008, 03:55 PM
After a two year hiatus following the death of my beloved Hale-Bopp, I finally adopted a new bebeh!

I'm happy about him, but feeling nervous/guilty about leaving all alone during the day while I am at work...It's been awhile since I've had a new lovie to cuddle. He's an "only" so I left the radio on... should I be getting him mirrors, or anything else company-wise?

He doesn't bite & seems to be getting the hang of "step up", but not more than that now.

Thank you for your help!

Janie
01-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi and congrats on your new lovie! :D

I've read here and in books that mirrors are a "no-no" for lovebirds. They tend to become very attached, even too attached, to a mirror. I'm sure that SOME lovebirds are fine with a mirror but most are not.

Leaving the radio on is a great idea and even a TV turned to a cartoon channel works well, too.

cp.lovebird
01-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Congrats on the new bebeh! My lovebird, Squeaky, lost his mate recently and I was worried about him being alone too. He seems to like the radio. I asked the avian vet about giving my bird a mirror. The vet said he didn't like mirrors for lovebirds - seems they can produce hormonal changes in the bird (this may be more relevant for an older, sexually mature bird.) So, I got him some new toys and we talk, cuddle and let him out when we can.

Enjoy your new fid!

Sweetpeaches
01-14-2008, 08:56 PM
all i know is even when peaches had a tiny mirror in her cage she wanted to sit by it all the time! it didn't take long for me to take it out! tv or radio is a good option...unless you get another bird. peaches was an "only" bird also and i work all day...but then i bought a caique, just cuz i wanted one, but the bonus was they now keep each other company.

sphinxface
01-14-2008, 10:37 PM
all i know is even when peaches had a tiny mirror in her cage she wanted to sit by it all the time! it didn't take long for me to take it out! tv or radio is a good option...unless you get another bird. peaches was an "only" bird also and i work all day...but then i bought a caique, just cuz i wanted one, but the bonus was they now keep each other company.

I love how you bring home a terribly expensive bird just cause you want to :rofl: