PDA

View Full Version : nothintg to do with lovies....but.....

wilkiecoco
01-20-2008, 03:49 PM
i am feeling so blue. we have been fostering a service dog in training since he was 7 weeks old. he is now 15 months, and he is a truly loved family member. however, he goes back tomorrow to start his formal training program, in anticipation of being placed with a blind person in the near future.

while i am so incredibly proud of him, i am so very very sad to let him go. i love that dog with all my heart, and will so miss spending my days with him. For his training, he spent every minute with me, going grocery shopping, to restaurants, shopping centres, movie theatres, on the bus, train, well...you get the point.

It is hard to imagine how I am going to say goodbye tomorrow...I know it is selfish to be thinking of myself when he has a more important job to do, but I am struggling to get through today.

I'm sorry to post this when it is not about Kiwi, but I just thought you guys would understand how I feel. Thanks for listening.

Janie
01-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Robyn, I've know a couple of people who fostered a service dog till he/she was ready to move on and I have no idea how in the world you do it....let one go. You and your family are to be commended, of course, cause it would not be a successful program w/o those important foster homes but oh my, letting them go when it's time would be so hard. :very_sad:

I'm sorry for you and your family and although I've never been through what you're going through I think I can understand how hard it will be to say goodbye to your special foster boy. Hugs to you for taking such good care of him, for loving him and especially for helping him get ready to make a huge difference in another persons life very soon.

Flapjack
01-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Wow, Robyn- :very_sad:
I'm so happy you're doing this wonderful thing for another human being, but I can imagine how sad it will be to say goodbye to your little guy. I'm sure he's become very much a part of your family, and losing him will leave an empty spot in your home for a while.
Just know you've raised a very special member of someone else's family, and they will be forever grateful to you for what you've done to help someone they love to be able to be more independent, be more confident, and have more self esteem.
You're AWESOME!!! :clap
I hope Kiwi will be extra cuddly and give you lots of lovie kisses tomorrow.

michael
01-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi Robyn. I understand exactly how you feel, and you know, your really not being selfish at all. Besides, how could you not feel sad about him leaving :(. We're sending our prayers for your special friend and to you too for sacrificing your love and efforts for such a good cause. Surely, this is a bittersweet moment worth sharing with anyone, anywhere. So thank you for sharing it here. Take care, and scritches for Kiwi lovebird.

Kathryn
01-20-2008, 08:17 PM
((((((Robyn))))))
The bittersweet tomorrow will be difficult. My thoughts will be with you.
Raising a service dog must be one of the most difficult and rewarding experiences. I admire you and your family for taking the challenge.

linda040899
01-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Robyn,
I understand exactly how you feel!

I work with a rescue group and I just got a phone call tonight to let me know that they think they've found a forever home for Penny, my current 11 yr old foster Corgi. Penny came to me in mid-July, about 2 weeks from death's door due to poor care from the family that turned her in. She went downhill so badly that I actually had an appointment to have her euthanized. I came to within 2.5 hours of doing what I thought had to be done and had second thoughts, opting to change her dog food. The change worked but it's been a slow, uphill battle to get her to the point to where she's ready to go to her forever home.

I've done the job that I was supposed to do, and, while I will miss her terribly, it's only fair that I let her go to the family who will care for her for the remainder of her life, as long or short as it may be.

You also have done your job and know that your efforts will be greatly appreciated by the blind person that dog you helped train so that that person can live a more independent life.

Kudos to you for your efforts on the part of service dogs.

Kali
01-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Hi Robyn,
It's probably no consolation to you, but I have had a lot to do with the blind
(my mother was blind) and although she wasn't able to have a dog, all her friends had one, and I'm sure you know how valuable you are to this program. The pain you are going through will translate to someones happiness. Thank you (((((hugs)))))

wilkiecoco
01-22-2008, 08:23 AM
thank you for your kind words of support. it really does help to know that people understand and empathize with you. there is something unique and special about people who love animals.

we returned jackpot yesterday, and it was so bittersweet. we met with his trainer, and she explained the program to us. we also met with a new group of blind people, who were there for a month to meet their dogs and learn how to work with them.

while i cried, they hugged me and thanked me for doing this for them.

then i came home to a much more quiet house, held kiwi, and just cried non-stop. the rational part knows jackpot will be happy and fulfilled working and helping someone who needs him. the emotional side just misses him terribly.

kiwi is going to be one cuddled, held bird today. he doesn't seem to mind. in fact, he seems to understand that i am sad, giving me kisses non-stop, and being so quiet while i hold him and love him up.

bellarains
01-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Robyn,

There most certainly is something special about people who love animals, and you obviously have been blessed with a gift. Not only do you love animals, but you love them enough to teach them to care for someone, and then make the sacrifice so that those who need them get a very special companion. I can only imagine how much they appreciate that.

((((HUGS)))) to you, and your family. I know you miss Jackpot, but I also know someone else will hit it when they take him home:)