PDA

View Full Version : My bird WAS getting better

Brooke
01-30-2008, 07:55 PM
My bird was getting better on not biting now he is starting it again, I dont think he likes my hands too much! Any advise??

Janie
01-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Some lovebirds don't like hands and never will. My advise is to have as little hand contact as possible until he decides those hands are not a threat but there are no guarantees he will ever like your hands.

beckyg
01-31-2008, 09:03 AM
You could try feeding him treats and things from your hands. There are a lot of different theories out there about this, I know because I researched it. Many people say that they have a bird that doesn't like hands and they have just had to find ways to live with that. I know that when I got Luna I grabbed her out of her cage and from that moment on (until now, 4 1/2 mths later, she is almost 6 mths old) she didn't want anything to do with my hands.

Eventually I let Luna explore my hands with her beak. When she would bite down too hard I would let her know (by saying no bite). I really think she did understand that because she would stop and look straight at me, then go back to exploring. I think she learned that my hands don't pose any threat and were actually beneficial to her. She loves her scritches.

Every bird is different, all you can do is be patient and if it doesn't work out then find a way to work around it. I will tell you, I got very frustrated. I didn't understand how people could be so bonded to their lovies, but it is so different now. Don't get me wrong, she does bite still and she never bit really hard in the first place. I just realize that when she does bite it is usually my fault for catching her off guard or not reading her body language correctly. I also read that love birds don't bite in the wild. They don't have to because the other birds know what their body language is saying. It supposedly never gets that far.

Oops, sorry I am long-winded.

Brooke
01-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the advise!! I will try