PDA

View Full Version : Lovebirds in a pair

haquilst
07-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Hi -

I read online and heard from a lady at a pet store that lovebirds 'get mean' when they're kept in pairs, because they would rather associate with eachother than their owner. I was interested in purchasing a pair (for non-breeding purposes, I just wanted a pair of lovebirds) but I would like for them to like me. I've done tooons of research so far, and I'm prepared to deal with everything else but this almost turned me off. Should I buy one, and then get another one later on or would it be best to get both of them used to me at once?

I also own a cockatiel, do you think they would react all right with him? They wouldn't gang up on him or anything, would they?

Thanks!

linda040899
07-16-2005, 08:03 PM
While lovebirds tend to like each other when you have a pair, that does not mean that you will get left out of the equation. Lovebirds are very social and will normally be friendly as long as you interact with them. The secret is attention, attention and more attention. All of my lovebirds, including my personal pets, have companions. As long as I play with the tame ones every day, there are no problems. Your best bet would be to get a "pair" of males, if you are only looking for pets. Male lovebird + female lovebird = many baby lovebirds!!! They tend to be very prolific breeders and a pair and turn into as many as 8 -10 birds in a year!

haquilst
07-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Whew, what a relief! OK, thanks. They would be getting lots of attention, for sure, so I guess it will not be a problem.

I'll be back if I have any more questions!

shylevon
07-16-2005, 11:38 PM
My gals were all socialized well, and they visit with me every day. In fact, I have to scoot them away to get some alone time quite often.

The trick is to get birds that are very friendly, and keep them that way. If they see you as a flockmate, and not a human, they will naturally want to spend a good deal of time with you.

The best place to get socialized, tame, friendly birds is directly from a breeder. Birds that have been housed in a pet store, even if only for a few days, will typically revert to a wild state, and it is difficult sometimes to get them back to sociable birdies again. Birds just don't get the one-on-one time they need to stay tame in a store because the employees just don't have the time to devote to them.

mangotiki
07-17-2005, 12:57 AM
I agree with Shy. Make sure you get really friendly birds to begin with..don't listen to someone who tells you they are just young and will tame down. I have had no luck taming down an unsocialized handfed bird who has been paired up with another lovie.
But my two sweetest, on the other hand, began really friendly and they still are. They just also like each other as well!!
I agree that two males, if you can determine the gender, would be great...you never know if a hormonal hen will turn nasty.
Traci

haquilst
07-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Oh, I was planning to go with a breeder. The price is quite a bit more, I think (I saw a cage + bird package at the pet store for $70 a few days ago, and an orange-face lutino female + orange-face green/lutino male handfed is $175, not including cage) but from what I have heard lovebirds are really difficult to tame, so it's worth it -- right? The only thing so far that's been holding me back now is the issue of the money.

Z28Taxman
07-17-2005, 06:35 PM
My gals were all socialized well, and they visit with me every day. In fact, I have to scoot them away to get some alone time quite often.

The trick is to get birds that are very friendly, and keep them that way. If they see you as a flockmate, and not a human, they will naturally want to spend a good deal of time with you.

The best place to get socialized, tame, friendly birds is directly from a breeder. Birds that have been housed in a pet store, even if only for a few days, will typically revert to a wild state, and it is difficult sometimes to get them back to sociable birdies again. Birds just don't get the one-on-one time they need to stay tame in a store because the employees just don't have the time to devote to them.

Ditto is a pet store birdy, he came from a small store that specializes in birds. He was handfed by the woman that runs the store and socialized daily. He's one friendly little bird. The store I buy his food from is the same way.

But that seems to be the exception to the rule. :( There should be more places like that.

shylevon
07-17-2005, 07:22 PM
If money is an issue, remember that you will also need to budget for a 'well bird' exam with the vet. This is a checkup that every bird owner should get done annually, and the first vet visit should occur within the first few days of ownership.

Call around for a qualified avian vet in your area, and ask them what they charge for the service. Birdie upkeep and health concerns are no inexpensive matter.

Buy A Paper Doll
07-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Birdie upkeep and health concerns are no inexpensive matter.
Amen to that! Vet visits in my area cost about $200 because of all the testing. Tests are expensive but necessary because a lot of birdy illnesses can't be diagnosed by sight alone.

kimsbirds
07-17-2005, 10:47 PM
AMEN to that too !
I totalled up my YTD bills for 2005, and as of June 30th I was at $740 for the 14 birds I'm currently keeping. That was just gram stains and well birdie exams mind you, the next 1/2 of the year is gonna HURT lol. 6 of them are up for CBC's and by then I'll have new babies to DNA too !! YAYYYYY Then we wait til 2006 and do it allllllll over again !!!
Hubby asked me tonight what my VISA balance was. ( I keep one card for just the birds) I quickly changed the topic and asked him ... "So honey, how about watching a mushy movie after the kids go to bed?".....
It worked....for now LOL

Kimmie

LoveBugs
07-17-2005, 11:32 PM
lol....

Then there is the money spent on spoiling them...

The hole in my pockets keep getting bigger! This week alone I spent 150$ on my pair...

PP decided to be an itch with a B... and the cage I got for THE PAIR is quite big...so putting Lily back in her old cage just seemed so....mean and crowded... especially since now one boing is a permanent fixture on the window... and EVERYTHING else has been claimed by PP...

So... I just HAD to play fair, and buy Lily her seperate BIG cage, boing, perches, and mean while, since I was placing an order anyways to two websites, added a few treats and toys....

And I STILL forgot to order a few other items.

Gosh darnit! So sometimes this week I have to stop by the LPS which I HATE and pick up some more cuttlebones, extra food cup (Summer days.... PP LOVES taking baths, and pooping and making soup in her water bowl, and I'm tired of washing out her bowl 5x a day.... :roll: )

Gosh....Birds are DEFINITELY not "cheap" so please dont just consider their inital price!

Please add on not just basic care of vet bills and food (which they are VERY wasteful with!) but also consider their necessecities such as toys and perches and such since they can destroy them as quickly as you hang them up, and then there is their treats, spoiling them, etc!

Once you see how their eyes light up when you show them a treat or a new toy.... trust me.... it's all worth it in the end.... lol. Now you see why I can't have any human kids?!

Janie
07-19-2005, 06:02 PM
You can say that again.....birds are not cheap!!!!! Well, if they are really cared for properly, they aren't! I often wish that lovebirds were more expensive so that people would think twice before a spur of the moment purchase. The poor parakeets are really inexpensive and I'm sure that very little thought to cost after purchase is considered with first time pet bird owners. I was shocked and amazed at the expense of owning a bird. Most people I've met (in person) since adopting my lovie could not believe that I take him to an avian vet or any vet. Some of these people have birds and have never taken them to a vet and look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them that all pet birds need a yearly exam. It's too bad that the Petco's and Petsmart's of this world do not TELL buyers that before a purchase but I'm not sure that many of their employees even know it themselves.

As far as buying two, caging them together, and wanting them to remain tame, I've been told exactly what others have said here. If they are tame when you get them and you spend time with them every single day, individually and then together, they will remain tame with you. They might prefer each other but they will still accept you as part of their flock. My plan is to buy two young males and cage them together. I would like so much to see TWO play together. Something I've never seen with my sweet little lone male. He does play on me but nothing like the stories I've read here about other lovies in pairs.

LoveBugs
07-20-2005, 01:26 AM
lol. Two birds though? Forget "monkey see monkey do!"

Try "birdie see. birdie must out do!"

If one birdie is doing something he shouldn't do... watch out... other birdie is right behind him to just take it a little further!

BarbieH
07-20-2005, 07:16 AM
Yep. Double the trouble! :D

I had a wonderful experience with Gracie last night. She decided to stay out with me after the boys (George and Didjit) returned to the cage. No way to did she want to go back in! She stayed with me, on my shoulder in the living room, a good 45 minutes after they went back. She did some beak grinding, tucked her head back, got wobbly (sleepy), and we had a beautiful visit. She proved that she still thinks, acts, and loves as an individual, although she is paired and has a son living with her and George.

p3rr4n
07-22-2005, 09:49 PM
I got Trixie From a small store who handfed and socialized the young ones and it hasnt been that hard to keep her tame. I totally agree with the thought that the lovie should already be friendly when you aquire him.

Another thing to keep in mind about lovies is that along with being very socialble, they also find alot of comfort and stability in the routine.

Trixies routine is vastly different from alot of lovies and because it is a consistent one, it works well. Trixie is very lovable and snuggly and tame.

I also belive that time is important. The more time you have to devote, the better off everyone is going to be.

I know a few people who have a pair of males and while they are happy together, they also love the owner.

Oh yeah, the price issue..... If it were me I would cut back on lunches, going out, etc and make some room for the extra cost. The extra hundred bucks now can turn into a lifetime of joy later. Think of it as a wiser investment.

I hope this helps. ;)