PDA

View Full Version : Help with new birds

icy
02-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi all,
I'm new to this community and also fairly new to birdkeeping. I worked at a pet store for about two years so I do have some bird experience.

I recently adopted a pair of lovebirds. They are brother and sister and 8 months old. Their previous owner was the one who hatched them and put them together... she didn't handle them much... and they are parent raised. I know I have everything going against me as far as taming them.

But my question is this: Are they too old to separate them slowly and gradually? They seem to bicker and nip at each other a lot, and I'm not sure if they're really "bonded" yet.

I'm looking for some friendly advice...

Judy
02-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Wow....I have the same question. Mine are brother and sister and fight quite a bit. They are also very nippy at us and we want to interact with them. Mine are only 3 months old but I am wondering about separation as well...

butterfly1061
02-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Here's a very good post to read about taming: http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showpost.php?p=102963&postcount=7

icy
02-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Thank you, that is an informative read.

But it still doesn't answer the question of: Should they be separated?

michael
02-05-2008, 07:00 PM
First off, if your planning on keeping them together in the same household yet in separate cages, they may become bonded anyways whether its for taming purposes or not. Regardless if their brother/sister, male/female, or same sex, the most obvious reasons for keeping them apart would be any signs of injury. Really, eight months might certainly allow time for changes that could make this relationship more definitive. Whether their "actually" a male/female pair could produce another. Brother and sister relationships also raise questions regarding inbreeding, whereas generally this is best if avoided. If your planning on separating them, either way I believe you still have time to do so, especially should they appear "not" to have bonded yet. While I would "never" suggest separating a truly bonded pair, sometimes this choice is made in the birds best interest temporarily (as in one mate becoming overly aggressive towards the other). Honestly, I feel deciding whether or not to keep them separate should always be made in "their" best interest. Just my :2cents: :) Hopefully others here may share their views.

Janie
02-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Here is my experience with siblings. I have two males, clutch mates who are almost 3. I expected them to be bonded forever because I already had a single (male) older lovie who is very bonded to me. I wanted more lovies but I figured I should get two who could be more bonded to each other than me. They did remain bonded for the first 6 to 9 months but that changed. They still share a large cage at night, each with their own happy hut/cozy but that bond is clearly gone. Fortunately they get along well enough but both like my older male better than each other, not at all what I was expecting! :rolleyes: All three are out together during the day for about 8 hours and get along well.

I think it's possible they would resume their bond if my older lovie, Oliver, were not in the mix but that is only a guess. If your two siblings aren't getting along that well, I would consider separating them. That will help loads in the taming process. If they are miserable apart, you can put them together again. Keep in mind, they will breed but you can always boil the eggs (as soon as they are laid and return them to the hen) to prevent eggs from becoming fertile.

If my two siblings were nipping at each other a lot, I would separate them. I know, from reading here, that some bickering and nipping is normal but I couldn't watch that and definitely don't want to see a single drop of blood from a spat. So, that's my 2 cents. :D

smspringer13
02-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Although I don't have a whole lot of experience with lovebirds, my advice would be to separate them - especially if you are trying to keep them tame. In my research it's difficult to tame birds when they are together all of the time - they are forming a bond with each other rather than with you. Also, if they are not getting along and don't seem to be fully "bonded" yet, it might be safer for them to be apart. Like others have said, maybe put them in cages side by side instead?

I also wonder about brother and sister trying to breed...?:confused:

icy
02-05-2008, 07:40 PM
First off, if your planning on keeping them together in the same household yet in separate cages, they may become bonded anyways whether its for taming purposes or not. Regardless if their brother/sister, male/female, or same sex, the most obvious reasons for keeping them apart would be any signs of injury. Really, eight months might certainly allow time for changes that could make this relationship more definitive. Whether their "actually" a male/female pair could produce another. Brother and sister relationships also raise questions regarding inbreeding, whereas generally this is best if avoided. If your planning on separating them, either way I believe you still have time to do so, especially should they appear "not" to have bonded yet. While I would "never" suggest separating a truly bonded pair, sometimes this choice is made in the birds best interest temporarily (as in one mate becoming overly aggressive towards the other). Honestly, I feel deciding whether or not to keep them separate should always be made in "their" best interest. Just my :2cents: :) Hopefully others here may share their views.

I am extremely grateful for the advice. I have been scouring the internet for an answer to this but was unable to find one. I would like, eventually, to separate the two and to adopt one of them out to someone else.

I have noticed that the male (or at least, the one I was told was male) often has slightly puffy feathers. I know what it looks like when a sick bird puffs up, and I don't believe he's sick... possibly just stressed out? Or do they do "slight puffing" all the time naturally? Maybe I'm imagining things...

I have NO desire to see these two breed, and have also wondered about in the future, if they have eggs, would I just throw away the eggs. That's something I would rather not have to deal with...

If you have a male and female pair that you don't want to breed, and they lay eggs, what do you (personally) do with them? Do you hatch them anyways?

Janie
02-05-2008, 07:53 PM
There are a few options for eggs that you do not want to become fertile, addling, boiling, etc. Check out the breeding section of the forum. There is NO WAY I would breed and since I have males it's not an issue but IF I had a hen, I would not allow an egg to become fertile for many reasons.....but the main reason is finding homes for all the babies that could be hatched from one couple in one year. As many as 15 plus.

You do not want to throw eggs out because the hen will try to reproduce every single one that you take away and that is horrid for her health. Please read the breeding section, I think that will give you many answers.