PDA

View Full Version : White lovebird?

cp.lovebird
02-07-2008, 10:00 PM
I have found an adorable white lovebird baby (with a violet rump) available for sale. The baby is still being hand-fed and won't be weaned and ready to go home for another 2-3 weeks. I have never seen this colour mutation before - is it rare or unusual? Are there any possible genetic problems I should be aware of?

I think I am falling in love again.....(I already named this baby! Snow!)

Elle
02-08-2008, 05:17 AM
When you say white bird with a violet rump, I am thinking a blackmask or a fisher dilute or pastel mutation. Do you know if it is an eyering specie?

Does it look similiar to one of the birds in this link? tropicaplumes/ (http://www.tropicaplumes.com/)

cp.lovebird
02-08-2008, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the reply. No, I don't think it looks like those ones.

Here is a picture:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/PharmTech/whitelovie.jpg

And the bird's tail:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/PharmTech/violettail.jpg

The breeder has been very helpful in providing me with lots of pictures! :)

Maybe a pastel mutation?

Oscar
02-08-2008, 07:11 AM
What a Stunning little guy!!! :) I have never seen one like that before.. But If I had.. She/He would probably be in my house as we speak :D hehe

Suzy and Oscar

Janie
02-08-2008, 09:22 AM
I don't know genetics but I do know that I'd fall in love with that little one, too! That is one gorgeous color and as far as being rare, I'd say yes since I've only seen a couple that color.

Check out this previous thread from Kween. Her bird Sushi is similar.

http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showthread.php?t=9417

I nearly fell out of my chair when I first saw Sushi! :D

Keltoth
02-08-2008, 10:10 AM
I am guessing, but from the brown baby-beak and tan flights, I would think it is a blue-series American Cinnamon with either a Double Violet factor or a Single Violet and Single Dark Factor. I don't know quite what to make of it though, because his/her feet look to be gray, rather than pink.

Cute little guy though!

- Eric

linda040899
02-08-2008, 10:22 AM
You are looking at an Australian Cinnamon Violet. Violet, in Australian Cinnamon, turns the baby feathering almost white but it will get a bit darker with the first molt. This is a gorgeous mutation, especially after the first molt!

cp.lovebird
02-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone. The breeder said that the parents are both white-faced violets. She thinks they are Single Violets.

Thanks Janie for the pictures of Sushi! Those pics have helped to convince me to get this little sweetie! I can't wait until 3 weeks from now! :happy:

Now, on to read about quarantine procedures! I am so glad for all the info on this community!:clap

linda040899
02-08-2008, 12:19 PM
If neither of the parents are visual Pallids, then dad is split for Pallid and the baby is a female.

cp.lovebird
02-08-2008, 08:12 PM
You are looking at an Australian Cinnamon Violet. Violet, in Australian Cinnamon, turns the baby feathering almost white but it will get a bit darker with the first molt. This is a gorgeous mutation, especially after the first molt!

Linda - I am wondering darker as in to a yellow colour, violet or gray? Thanks!

wilkiecoco
02-09-2008, 09:09 AM
what a gorgeous face and coloring, and that wee little violet tail !! i'm with everyone else - that would be one hard to resist lovie. have you definitely decided to get this little beauty??

sphinxface
02-09-2008, 12:12 PM
If I saw that baby in the store there is no doubt I would just have to have him myself, it's BEAUTIFUL! I was almost in love seeing a white face pied cockatiel, and I'm not really a fan of cockatiels :P

cp.lovebird
02-09-2008, 12:57 PM
what a gorgeous face and coloring, and that wee little violet tail !! i'm with everyone else - that would be one hard to resist lovie. have you definitely decided to get this little beauty??

Well, I have almost decided! The weather has been bad here this week so it is an 1.5 hour drive North of me to see this little sweetie! But, I could put down a deposit and get the bird in a couple of weeks.

I am concerned that if it is a female, which Linda has suggested is quite possible, that she will be very aggressive with my Squeaky. He's nearly 14 years old now and I think he's been through enough of that with Blue Meanie! Squeaky seems to be doing quite well. It just doesn't seem right to only have one bird at home. :very_sad:

cp.lovebird
02-09-2008, 12:57 PM
If I saw that baby in the store there is no doubt I would just have to have him myself, it's BEAUTIFUL! I was almost in love seeing a white face pied cockatiel, and I'm not really a fan of cockatiels :P

Yeah, white faced birds are gorgeous!

cp.lovebird
02-09-2008, 01:01 PM
If neither of the parents are visual Pallids, then dad is split for Pallid and the baby is a female.

I think this is very possible! The breeder says that the parents are both whitefaced violets, single factor she thinks. They had 4 babies in this clutch - 2 whitefaced violets, 1 whitefaced white with the violet tail and a creamino.

Do you think that creamino is really a Australian Cinnamon Violet? I guess that would be a female bird also!

Maybe the WF violets are males?

Boy I was looking at lovebird genetics on the web last night and it can get so complicated!

Thanks.:)

Sweetpeaches
02-09-2008, 03:33 PM
it's one of the prettiest i've ever seen! so different.

Kween
02-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Hello there! It's great to see another white cutie like mine!!! :D Sushi developed a little bit of pale yellow coloring on her white when she got older, but she's still very adorable and pale. Mine didn't have brown-beak, so it might not be the exact same mutation, but the breeder told me mine was a white-faced violet pallid, not sure about how many factors she has. ^_^ She's a sweetie and hasn't had any problems that are out of the ordinary so far.

linda040899
02-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Mine didn't have brown-beak, so it might not be the exact same mutation
Same mutation. This one is most likely a younger bird. :)

cp.lovebird
02-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Update - I have decided not to get the little sweetie. :( The timing is not good to add another bird to our home right now. I want to have enough time to devote to Squeaky and the new bird.

I told the breeder to give her/him a kiss for me! I was really impressed with the breeder so I will be in touch later. She will probably breed the two WF violets in about 8 months. Then I can get one DNA tested and get my little boy when the timing is right.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Here's another cute pic from the breeder:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/PharmTech/whiteandviolets.jpg

(Yes, they are sitting on green linnie babies :rotfl )