PDA

View Full Version : Went to the pet store today...

sphinxface
02-10-2008, 05:47 AM
And I saw such a beautiful lovebird... she was labeled "lavender." I'd assume some sort of violet with white added or something because she was completely white with a beautiful gray tint, and I didn't notice any blue on the tail. Sad thing though after watching her a bit she wasn't as active as her cage mate, and I then noticed she had a toenail practically missing!

I have been thinking about getting another lovebird and she was so beautiful, but... a pet store bird, so completely wild(not to mention probably sick). I think if I ever got another lovebird it would have to be from a local breeder, but "local" means a two hour drive there and back... -sigh- Then there is the chance that Beezle wont be friends with the new addition, but I'd be willing to accept that.

It was kind of sad going into the pet store too, I saw the white cockatiel in there again, it's feathers were so dirty from sitting in the filth that was at the bottom of the cage... They were so fun to watch though, until they fell asleep, then one little girl started tapping on the glass to wake them up, and calling them pigeons.. :very_sad:

michael
02-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Its really a tuff call to decide where to purchase a parrot "anywhere" as both breeders and pet shops can easily share the same negligence. On top of this it can lead us to "save" a parrot which only perpetuates further abuse and neglect. None the less, I feel its best to stay with a "good" breeder as often better aftercare is provided thats usually not offered through a pet shop or chain store. I would also rather pay more for a parrot that carry's some form of a reasonable health care guarantee whose breeder can show a proven consistency of good care. I'll say this, there are absolutely none in my area for lovebirds who haven't shown they are in it for anything other than the money.....:(

LauraO
02-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Seeing birds in bad conditions are one of the reasons I try to avoid petshops at all costs. While a bunch of us, including myself, have saved birds from petshops, I really believe it does no good. It just perpetuates the demand and there will just be another lovie put into the place of the one that's bought.

If you do get another bird, a responsible and concentious breeder really is the only way to go. The drive is just a minor irritant.

There is one bird store here locally that I visit but that isn't very often. They do keep their birds in decent condition with toys and fresh foods. I just have a problem with the volume of birds, especially large parrots, they breed and sell.

:D