PDA

View Full Version : Your other pets and birds.

Kristina
02-11-2008, 06:31 AM
How have your other pets reacted to your birds? Who was there first (birds or other pets?)

We've had our Alaskan Malamute for almost four years. We believe she is around 7 years old. I thought that when we got Fenway, the cat, Mister Bonkers, would be the problem. It turns out, the dog, Kara Lou, is the problem. Kara Lou is monitored when Fenway is out of his cage (I usually bring him in my computer room with me and shut the door). Or Kara is outside, or we use the baby gate.

While introducing Fenway to Kara, I use techniques of "The Dog Whisperer". I made sure Kara was calm and submissive, then showed her the bird. She, of course, got all sorts of excited. I wasn't sure what her thoughts were, but it seemed as though she was happy. She went back into the calm, submissive state and I let her sniff Fenway.

Fast forward to Saturday night. One night after we had Fenway, I brought him out again. I really just want the dog to know that he is part of our family. I'm spending the same amount of time with Kara, loving her, grooming her, etc. I get her into a calm state and let Fen walk around on my hand near the floor. Kara watched intently. Then she slowly moved closer towards him and opened her mouth!

It was like I had put a puppy bone on the ground. She wasn't being aggressive, she wasn't being mean, she just acted like the bird was a special treat! At this point, the bird was already swooped up and Kara was disciplined.

I don't know how to make her realize the bird is not food. She has a general interest in him. His cage is up high, so she can't reach it and as an extra precaution, if he is out and not locked in a room (like when we do the dishes), we use the baby gate. Do you know how some people are really booksmart, but lack all common sense? THAT would be Kara. She has the size to barge or jump over the baby gate, but has no idea that she can (or she might have the idea, but knows that is not what good dogs do, LOL).

When I put up the baby gate, she knows the bird is coming out. I try to let her see the bird and I together. I'm not sure what else (other than time) is going to help with her. I don't, by any means, expect the dog and bird to be friends. I just don't want her to think he's a tasty snack.

The other thing that is surprising? We have a bird feeder in the backyard. She is back there for a few hours everyday (she LOVES being outside). She doesn't even care about the birds back there! She has never even watched them. She's seen them go by, but has never cared. I have no idea why she thinks this one is food (maybe because he's inside).

So what have your experiences with your other pets and your birds been? Do you have any tips?

Sweetpeaches
02-11-2008, 08:25 AM
my little terrier "chuckie" has been the only pet for the last 9 years when we got our lovie last year. chuckie whined for 3 days! when peaches arrived at home. now he completely ignores her...but it's probably because i brought a caique in the house a couple of months ago and he was excited over him.
i think since the initial shock of having his domain taken over by birds has worn off he's doing much better. but i really don't let the birds get too close to him even tho he has never shown signs of aggression towards them. even if he didn't bite them it would only take one slap of his paw to injure one and i don't want to take the chance.

Kristina
02-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Yes, it's the paw slapping that I'm worried about too. Kara is known for using her "hands". She uses them for everything (she even holds her frosty paws ice cream in her hands, LOL). When she plays, she slaps you with her hands.

I just want to clarify that we are very careful with Kara and Fenway. They are a safe distance apart and both are under my control when near each other.

kimsbirds
02-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Many many dogs have a high prey drive, and that is instinct. There isn't anything known to lessen this drive.
Since you've seen signs of your dog's drive early on, my best advice is avoidance. Your dog will likely never understand that the bird isn't for playing, batting, or eating. Its' just instinctive.
In our house, although my dogs are all older now, there is no middle ground for out-of-cage time. If the birds are out, the dogs are away. No exceptions and no rule-breaking.
This isn't meant to be harsh, I'm not a meany LOL
Happy Birding!
K

Felicity
02-11-2008, 04:27 PM
My little springer spaniel, Echo, would not make a very good gun dog - if one of the birds flies near the sofa where the dogs are, she runs away. I tried to introduce them to the babies when they were 3-4 weeks old but both Echo and my little collie ran for the hills! My elderly sheltie is very interested indeed, both in babies and free flying adults. She trots around wagging her tail and softly whining but I think the licking of the lips gives away her intentions ... the birds are not left alone with the girls at all, just in case.

thebubbleking
02-11-2008, 04:48 PM
sounds to me like echo and your collie have either experianced or have heard about lovie hen bites, heck i am tempted to run half the time myself!

Mummieeva
02-11-2008, 08:55 PM
My husband has a cat who is around 7 years old. He came before we got any birds. Sometimes he shows interest others he ignores Drac. WE also might be adopting a dog soon. No pets will be allowed in same room as Drac when he has free flying time. No matter how they act I would not want to chance it. I am very over cautious with my birds when they are out of the cage.

Steph

adibabee
02-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Having other pets in the house really underscores the importance of locking those cage doors!:wink: I learned this from an experience that could have been a heartbreaking disaster. We have a Westie and two Shi-tzus. The Westie and older Shi-tzu have gotten nipped by our hen, Gracie and are wise enough to stay about a foot away from the birds. However, our 1-year old Shi-tzu is still all puppy. One morning I heard an "off" sounding chirp coming from down stairs. You know, you recognize your birds chirps as happy, mad, etc. So I went down to check on them. I found Yoshi, our male lovie, who we describe as a golden retriever in disguise because he is so cuddly and gentle, on the floor between the paws of our youngest Shi-tzu!:omg: She was just holding him there, not mouthing him at all, but I know her instinct would have taken over had I not been there. To our dog, poor Yoshi would have been a sqeaky toy. We love our dogs, and our lovies, but never, ever, trust them together and always keep those cage doors locked. I hate to even think of what would have happened had I not been home.:cry:

Kristina
02-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Oh no!

We are definitely using caution. Fenway's cage is up high where neither the dog or the cat can reach. We also use the baby gate, to block off the kitchen so the dog can't get in (if Fenway were to escape). When he is out, the dog is put away. They were near each other for the initial introductions, but I really don't want the dog to see me loving on the bird and get jealous. So I try to go where she can't see or hear us (that is usually her "outside time"). If we're in the living room, she is locked up in the kitchen or vice versa.

She has lost a bit of interest now that he's been here for a little while. Kara will sniff Fenway's playpen after he's already back in his cage and then go lay down. The first couple of times he chirped, she kind of gave a sideways look, but I think she's getting used to him being around. Don't get me wrong, we will still keep them in separate places!

Sweetpeaches
02-12-2008, 04:54 PM
ya know i've seen pictures of people's birdies literally sitting on their dogs noses! i remember looking up some info on caiques on a caique website, and there on the front page was a picture of a golden retriever with the caique sitting right on top of his nose..now i know that generally there are certain dogs who are "really docile" but THEY'RE STILL DOGS. if someone feels comfortable enough that they allow their pets together is their choice, but IMO i think when you do things like that you're always taking a chance.