PDA

View Full Version : My Three New Birds

shylevon
07-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Finally, I am ready to tell the tale of how three little fighters came to be rescued by me. I mentioned them to no one, as I feared for their lives and didn’t want to upset anyone with news of their sudden passing. I have had them for six weeks now, and I am beginning to feel confident that they will endure, although I still awaken from sleep and dash down the stairs to their side if I hear any sound similar to a soft thump in their cages. They have been housed with my other birds for about a week now, and all seems well. Here is their story, long, sad, even horrifying, but it is a saga of strength and survival.

Over the past several months, I had been hearing chirping coming from the neighbor’s open balcony windows, and I wondered what types of birds lived there. I live in a townhouse complex, so the chirps bounced off the walls and I wasn’t quite sure where they came from. My birdies dutifully called back, and many days were spent between them, relaying stories of great adventures and tales of heroic deeds and secret missions. Of this, I am sure. Being the unsociable creature that I am I never inquired, until one day when I was walking to the store and a woman was standing outside on her deck.

‘What type of birds do you own,’ I asked, ‘as I have lovebirds and they enjoy talking to your birds.’ She had a larger parrot although I don’t recall what type she said he was, some budgies and some lovebirds. She was a breeder, she said, but she was getting out of lovebirds. She then proceeded to tell me that until recently, she had 12 or 15 lovebirds, but they were all dying and she had lost interest in saving them. She was going to be moving soon, and she figured the lovebirds would all be dead by that time.

Shocked, as you might imagine, I asked her what she thought was wrong with them, what had the vet said? No vet, she said, she couldn’t afford it with the impending move and she only had five lovebirds left anyway. I told her I would take over their care, if she were to give the few she had left to me. She seemed uninterested, but lead me into her home to check on the birds. I felt faint as I peered into the cages of the ones I could see. One appeared fairly healthy; but two were near death on the floor of the cage, huddled close to each other, lying in watery droppings that had not been cleaned in days. Vomit covered the face and chest of one of them and she seemed to be in serious distress. Both lay there with their beaks open, their chests moving only slightly as they gasped for tiny breathes of air. I whimpered. She told me that there was a baby and a hen in the nestbox, but that the father had died a week or so ago. She wanted to keep the healthy one and the contents of the nestbox, which I was not entirely convinced held any remnants of life at that point. All the budgies seemed healthy, but the lovebirds were in a desperate state.

Now, I would never consider taking a bird outside without the safety of a cage, but these birds had lost the will to live. The desire to ever take flight again had left them many days before. I scurried home, with my precious cargo clutched safely in my hands. I stopped in the house only long enough to grab the hospital cage, quickly call the vet, and I hurried off to my car.

The vet took one look at the two of them and told me all hope was lost. I asked her if there was anything to be done, and to try anything that would not cause them further pain. We carefully sponged the caked droppings and vomit from their dull feathers and tried to warm them as best we could. She injected medication and fluids, and gave me a prescription and food supplements. She said the prognosis was very grim and it was not worth the expense of keeping them in the busy clinic where they would surly perish.

I brought them home to die. I set them up in the small cage on my night table with a warm pad and a cover to keep them safe. I comforted myself with the thought that when they drew their last breath and closed their tired eyes and their tiny souls lifted from their tortured bodies, their heads would light on a clean soft towel, for the final time, not in the soupy wetness of their own feces at the bottom of a cage. These birds would die in peace, as much peace as I could give them.

Amazingly, they did not perish that first night, nor the next. They got stronger, they began to eat on their own, and they sang a quiet song that I could barely hear. And, every day they improved, and my optimism for them blossomed.

Perhaps three days after the rescue, I arrived home from work. As I came around the corner to my front door from the parking lot, the odd, cruel woman was standing on my doorstep. As I approached, she asked me how the birds were doing. ‘Better’, I said cautiously. I thought she might be here to collect them, seeing as they were miraculously still alive. Well, I was absolutely certain there had been no ice storm in he11 on that very day, nor would there be any in the near future and I was prepared to inform her that this would be a mandate for her to regain possession of those precious birdies. Regrettably, she was on my stoop and she was between the door and me, but as I sized her up I was confident I could take her, trusty supercape or not.

Rather than suggest such a thing she informed me that the momma bird had died. She flipped her wrist and I saw, for the first time, a tiny brown crumpled paper bag in her hand. ‘Did I want her?’ she asked me. I assumed she meant the body of the poor momma hen, and I envisioned thrashing the sh!t out of her now, just for sport and the pure pleasure of it. ‘Excuuuse me?’ I asked. ‘The baby bird,’ she said. She was not going to feed it, and it would surely die too. ‘Yes,’ I said, I would take it. She placed the crumpled weightless paper bag into my hand and walked past me. ‘I was going to leave it in your mailbox,’ she said, ‘I am glad you came home when you did.’ My mailbox? A tiny brown paper bag, rolled up tight at the top, in my brass mailbox in the 30 degree C heat. That’s about 90 degrees F for all you southerners. What a pleasant surprise that would have been to come home to.

I rushed into the house and carefully unrolled the top of the tattered bag. A tiny lifeless body lay within, no feathers, barely old enough for her eyes to have opened for the first time. She tumbled out of the bag onto my open palm and lay there motionless. I began to gasp, tears flowing down my face, enraged, I was too late. This little one was gone, cold, withered. But perhaps it sensed my emotion, or my grief, and with the last ounce of strength, the tiny toes of one foot stretched slowly open, then relaxed. She was alive, but only just. A small whimper of disbelief and hope escaped me, and ran from my home. I took no towel with me, no cage. I dashed for my car and raced down the road to the vet’s clinic. I held her tiny body to my chest and I hoped she could hear my heartbeat, my gasps for air and I cried, wiping tears away and praying I could make my destination in time and safely. I wanted her to feel life around her, not death, and I wanted her to fight for the life I was trying to pump from my body into hers. I became aware of the fact I had not made an appointment. I feared not, let them try to turn away a hysterical woman with a tiny baby in her hands. Just let them try.

Upon arrival at the vet’s the doctor said again, that there was no hope. Not for this little one, so tiny, and probably not even two weeks old. I told her the other two were doing better and that this one surely had the same ailment and would improve with the same treatment. ‘She is too tiny’, the vet told me. ‘We will do what we can if you want, but I believe it is futile.’ I had to leave her alone with the doctor; they would not let me stay, as I was too upset. Others were beginning to cry for me, strangers, as I walked past them wailing, wringing my hands with grief, and it would be best if I left. I was invited to come back in a couple of hours to visit with her. The clinic would call me at home if the end came too quickly for her.

When I did return, they showed me to the spot where my baby was laying, all alone in a huge incubator, the tiniest butterfly IV tube spiraling around her little leg, a tube down her throat. The pain I felt for her was palpable. The constriction in my chest, unbearable; my heart was breaking. I tried to steady myself, to calm my nerves, to pacify my rage. Never has a little birdie looked so small, so helpless, so very near to death’s door.

Two days later she began to improve. Tiny fighters, all three of them. The two older ones recovered a bit faster, but my little gal began to shuffle around in time. Her feathers began to emerge and they were a shiny dark greenish gray. I took her to work with me and we spent every hour together while I fed and cared for her. She weaned fairly early, considering her saga, but she never came to trust me. I did not want to force her to accept me; she had earned the right to never trust humans again if that was her choice.

Today, all tests are normal and I have begun to let go of the fear that they will perish suddenly regardless of my attempts to save them. The songs that escape them are louder, happier, if fact, I can hear them now. The horrid woman who denied them the basic necessities for life has moved from the neighborhood. I miss the calls of her dwindling flock, but I know her presence in the vicinity would have eaten at me like a cancer. I hope her other birds have survived, or found peace. I hope I never see her again. I hope she rots in he11. Surely she will.

If any of you are interested in seeing these heroic birdies, the album below has some pics of them.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2123624317

BarbieH
07-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Oh my Lord!!!! Shy my dear, there absolutely no words ... none ... to describe what your story evoked. A baby lovebird in a paper bag ...

What did the vet test your new friends for? What kind of tests did he perform? Did he know they were living with budgies? There is a disease (can't think of the name) that can lie dormant in budgies but it takes down lovies quickly.

bellarains
07-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Shy LeVon!!!!!!

How could you???? I just talked to you last weekend. You mentioned a new bird, (A), not three. I guess I know who I can tell a secret too :lol

They are just adorable. That little Nyx is sooooo cute. Bless your big 'O heart honey. I know it's been a financial burden, but I know you will get soooo much for every cent :grouphug:

Buy A Paper Doll
07-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Shy!!! I'm speechless. What an ordeal you and those poor little lovies have been through. I'm so glad that there are people like you out there.

Barb - I think it's polyoma virus that budgies can carry. I had to get both of my birds vaccinated for it because my sister has budgies and one can never be too careful.

shylevon
07-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Barb

The birds all died of a simple intestinal bacterial infection. They just got diarrhea, and passed away from dehydration. They all could have been saved for about $100, if the crazy woman had tried to treat them. But, after they were in such bad shape, the cost was much higher.

Yes, the vet knows the whole story and she knows about the budgies. The cost for all the tests on these three was high, and I gave up counting at about the $700 mark. Thankfully, there was a lot of overtime this past month and I got a $500 bonus too, so it all came out all right.

Theia still has no feathers on one leg. She isn't picking it, but I am worried. The vet can't find anything wrong and figures she just lost the feathers, or they were picked out and they will grow back with the next molt, which should be soon. The area does look very red, almost like a burn. I got it in my head a while back that she may have PBFD and I have had her tested three times for that. She also had two weird bald spots on the tops of her wings, and her beak looks odd to me. PBFD can lie dormant and will test negative even if it is present and that is the reason for the repeated tests. She is in with my other birds now, as the vet told me to stop being paranoid. Perhaps it is just her ordeal and the fact that she is very yellow that has me thinking something is off with her.

I can only keep watching, and try to catch anything that may come along.

LauraO
07-17-2005, 09:19 PM
WOW Shy! I'm speechless too. This does clear up the comment you made the other night about free birdies costing you $700. It made me wonder if you had gotten new birdies. The little things were so lucky to have you thrust into their lives.

Elle
07-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Shy,
Bless you and your big heart. Those little birds are lucky to have you. you have brought tears to my eyes tonight.
Just like Laura, I was wondering what the comment about $700. was about. It did strike me as odd.

Give those little babies a big kiss each and extra millet from me. They sure deserve it.

Keltoth
07-17-2005, 10:14 PM
For every 50 news-stories I read about mean, ugly people in this world; stories about bombings, pets-in-the-dumpster, murdered familes and abused children; CEOs defrauding their companies and costing their employees their retirement savings and everything else that makes me think that if there was any justice to the universe that some virus would come along that would wipe the huiman race off the face of the planet - I hear one story of someone who steps up and makes their little corner of the world just a little bit better for someone else, making me reconsider my entire viewpoint of humanity as a whole.

Thanks for relating your story, Shy. It's good to hear a happy ending to a birds-in-peril story for a change. :)

linda040899
07-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Bless your heart, Shy! Those lovebirds were very lucky to have found their way to your loving care! That's quite a story and it also makes me feel better about humanity. Hugs, millet and head scritches to everyone!

zlatushka
07-18-2005, 02:18 AM
This had me absolutely bawling. Bless you, Shy. We'll keep your newest arrivals in our prayers.

:grouphug:
rachel

Bella
07-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Shy

That is a very heartwarming story. Though, as my little sister used to say as a child, that evil witch "deserves a miserable death". Rather like the one she sentenced her birds to.

Glad to hear your three are now doing OK. Who knows, you may now have some boys!!!

BarbieH
07-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the extra details, Shyness. :) Inquiring minds wanted to know! The bacterial infection must have resulted from the conditions they were living in.

I can only believe that woman will get what's coming to her someday.The devil will take his due.

Have you been putting a little aloe vera on little Theia's leg? It might ease the irritation.

I know about the "feel" of dead (or near-dead) chicks, all too well. Your description was quite vivid, quite evocative. Thank you for rescuing them all, especially Didjit's little doppleganger, Nyx. They must all be very robust birds to have pulled through as they did -- with your loving care and appropriate vet treatment.

Hugs,
Barbie, Tim, and flock

P.S. Do my eyes deceive me, or does one of your gals finally have a boyfriend? :happy:

Paulette
07-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Shy....What a traumaic ordeal.....They are beautiful.....each and every one....it is amazing what some people will do or will not do.....definately what goes around-comes around.....and all I can say is....You Are The Man!!!,
The Wooooman! that is. Job well done.
P.S. That is a very wonderful and interesting cage you have there.
paulette

Joanie Noel
07-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Your story was heart-wrenching, Shy. You are a fantastic writer, anyone ever tell you that? It takes a very special person to do such a heroic deed, and I look up to you for that. :) The birds are just beautiful. I was laughing when I saw the picture of seven lovebirds all at once. It's bad enough when one lovebird sucks us in, but I think you were devoured by them. :wink: And you are commended for it. :) Thanks for the photos.

- Joanie

I also love that cage!

MaraJade
07-18-2005, 09:50 AM
What an amazing story! People who treat animals that way are the lowest of the low. This is definitely a time when I hope karma does exist. Thank goodness they found their way to you. I’m sitting at work crying quietly to myself in my cubicle over their good fortune.
You are a kind soul. The pictures are beautiful!
And I absolutely love the “our new home” picture at the end. That cage is fantastic!

Mummieeva
07-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Shy. I wish I was closer to you. I would give you a huge hug . I will send a thanks to God that those babies found you. You are a wonderful women who went above and beyond.

Steph

Janie
07-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Shy, I am almost never speechless but, this one really knocked the wind (and speech) right out of me! God bless you, Shy! I know we'd all like to give you one of these...... :grouphug1 I will keep all of them in my prayers for continued improvement and great health! :)

butterfly1061
07-18-2005, 06:03 PM
I still have tears in my eyes and I'm speechless. Shy, I'm convinced you were hand picked by God to take care of His animals. He knew they would be in good hands with you. Bless you!

Sparkette65
07-18-2005, 06:37 PM
all the things everyone else has told you "PLUS" !!!! I would send you a group hug, but my emoticons are still missing.....???

I cant believe someone like that hasn't been arrested for cruelty to animals!! someone should turn her in....if the right persons found her with animals in such poor care, she could be arrested, fined and not allowed to have animals in her life again.

What a wonderful turn of events for them and for you shy, Im so glad they ended up with you where they could be well taken care of and where they will have a very happy home!!!

BRAVO SHY!!!!

take care, and THANK YOU for caring!!
Lori

PS.
Rachel,,,,I couldnt even watch a commercial when I was pregnant....I cried over a tissue commercial, and so many others!! (although this is definately something to cry about...for the awful state of the lovies and for the happy fortune of them in the end!!)

shylevon
07-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Thank you all, and the birdies thank you for all your good wishes. They are still doing good and Nerin and Nike are totally in love. I can't say that one of my gals has a new boyfriend, as I believe Nerin is a boy so he is now devoted to his little torquise blue. And, she loves him back just as much. Warms the heart to see a love so strong.

Thank you for the cage compliments. It is actually three cages with the roofs cut off two and then they are all stuck together. The thing hangs from the ceiling so cleaning under it is easy. The darn birds NEVER venture into the bottom third of the thing. I guess they don't want to get pooped on from above. I could have saved myself the $300 for the third cage and just joined the other two. Oh well, it is there if they decide to venture downwards.

Theia's little legs don't seem to be irritated, or at least she is showing no signs that they are bothering her. She just looks odd with no feathers and the skin looks red. Hopefully she will get over this when she molts. I would put some aloe vera on it if I thought she needed it, but at the present she is too terrified of me to even try to apply any. And, she is a biter, oh yes.

Wheeliegirl
07-19-2005, 10:24 PM
My heart is pounding over this story, and I'm sniffling with tears in my eyes. How can people be so cruel? You are a hand-picked angel from God Shy. What a wonderful job you have done. And I agree, you are a wonderful writer! You should send your story to one of the bird magazines.

lilycoco
07-20-2005, 02:35 PM
I just read your post and of course I was crying. You are a blessing, Shy!!
I admire you very much for your resolve in wanting to provide for those three birdies. I am so happy that they are much better now thanks to your care and compassion.

:grouphug1

sdgilley
07-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Shy,
What an amazing story... I'm stunned at the woman's cruelty and so warmed by your caring and compassion. Those birds are so lucky to have you! They are beautiful. What monster's eyes could look at those birds dying and not lift a finger to help? Unfortunately, I've come across one before, and they are sub-human for sure. I hope to see more pictures of your lovie crew soon! We all love a love-story, so Nike & Nerin can bring along that joy.

Thanks for sharing their story. It's a blessing to have you in our community.

joan gault
07-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Bravo to you Shy for your attempt to save the lovies! Sometimes our hearts are bigger than our pocket books but we hate to see a life wasted-even if its a tiny bird. :cry:
Joan