PDA

View Full Version : Should we take him to the vet?

Fawkesgramma
02-11-2008, 03:06 PM
We have a young lovebird (hatched around Thanksgiving 2007). One of it's claws looks funny and I don't know if we should take him to the vet or there is something I could do at home. It looks like his "finger" is broken and the claw is perpendicular rather than parallel. I don't know if this is a condition that the bird will learn to live with or if it's something we need to do something about it. Thanks, Sandra

carrier
02-11-2008, 03:44 PM
I think that in most cases, if you're questioning weather or not to see a vet, it's better to err on the side of caution and take the birdie in. He/she could be in pain and you don't realize it. It's always better to be safe than sorry!

thebubbleking
02-11-2008, 04:42 PM
I agree.
If you even have the question in your head better safe then sorry off to the vet you go!

linda040899
02-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Do you have a photo that you can share with us? If this is new, then a vet visit is in order.

Fawkesgramma
02-11-2008, 10:01 PM
My main concern right now is the weather we have right now in Chicago. We had a different bird (probably a sibling) earlier this month and after a week it just died. The lady whom I got the bird from told me that perhaps it was a draft (we moved the cage to a different location), so now I'm really paranoid about the cold out there! Unfortunately the vet that was recommended do not see small animals so I will have to drive about 30 minutes. Today we were in the below zero and tomorrow we'll have snow! So I'll have to wait until things slow down (weather wise) in my neck of the woods. Thanks so much for your response. I'll try to take a picture and post it. Sandra

P.S.: What's the easiest way to post a photo? Upload it somewhere else and put a link to it?

ETA: This is our first attempt to have a bird. My youngest daughter (the bird belongs to her) is still very sad about Lizzy's death so I'm being extra careful with Fawkes.

linda040899
02-11-2008, 11:52 PM
P.S.: What's the easiest way to post a photo? Upload it somewhere else and put a link to it?
Hi Sandra,
Yes, uploading the photo to an online storage site and then posting the link here is the best way to do it. We use links here because some photos are very large and not everyone has a high speed internet connection.

Photobucket is a good choice. Other choices are Flickr, Shutterfly and Webshots.

Fawkesgramma
02-12-2008, 07:03 PM
I posted some pictures. In the picture where Fawkes is eating on the table you can really see that the claw is not parallel to the table (like the others) but instead is perpendicular. He doesn't seem to be in distress (but I'm new and don't know much about lovebirds) but I'm still a bit concern.

Thanks, Sandra

http://slewmoll.winkflash.com

linda040899
02-12-2008, 09:26 PM
How long have you had Fawkes? It looks like one toe may be broken and it also looks like it's healed and he's in no pain whatsoever. If that's the case, there's nothing a vet could do, other than trim the nail on that toe, as it's a bit too long.

Fawkes is a cutie! :)

Fawkesgramma
02-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Hi Linda. Thanks for your opinion. I'll wait a little bit for the temperatures to go down a little, today is going to be frigid again! We had Fawkes for 10 days now. He actually hatched around Thanksgiving. My girls are really enjoying him. My youngest can't wait for him to take a bath and I don't know how that's going to be.

Sandra

linda040899
02-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Fawkes' coloring and your approximate hatch date go together so I think you can trust that place of purchase gave you correct information. You should start to see his adult coloring come in within the next couple of weeks.

I think the toe was broken before you got him and either it wasn't noticed or nothing could be done. Other than the nail needing to be trimmed, Fawkes is probably not inconvenienced in any way, nor does he feel pain from it.

Bath time with lovies is always a lot of fun! :)

Fawkesgramma
02-13-2008, 08:58 AM
He is so silly! He likes to be upside down. At first I was a little worried but he seems to really enjoy it (otherwise why will he do it all the time). He started doing "flips" inside his happy hut and at times I think he is stuck but no, he just likes being upside down. Other than my husband he is the designated male of the family.

Thanks, Sandra