PDA

View Full Version : Separation...?

icy
02-15-2008, 07:37 AM
I posted before that I recently adopted a pair of lovebirds that generally don't get along. I have had them approximately a week and a half, and just upgraded their cramped cage they came in to a new, spacious cage where they can flap their wings and move around a bit. I figured I'd put them both in there and see if the extra space made a difference.

I definitely see *less* fighting, but the (supposed) male is still quite aggressive once in awhile. Yesterday I saw him clamp onto the upper part of the (supposed) female's tail and not let go for about 30 seconds while she was screaming and beating her wings. Is that a sure sign that I should separate them? I don't see any physical injury, but who knows what could happen if he is truly aggressive, or if he hits puberty and his sex hormones start kicking in (they are 8 months old according to their previous owner). Or do you think this is a normal dominance routine that I shouldn't worry about?

In any case I am loathe to put one of them back in that horrible cage, now that they know what space feels like. Might have to pick up another cage or just give one bird to someone who can provide a big cage for him/her.

linda040899
02-15-2008, 08:18 AM
The behavior you are seeing is more likely to be 2 hens than an aggressive male. I could be wrong but this kind of aggression is not usually seen in males, although my single male Abby, Echo, will not allow any other bird inside his cage (exception rather than the rule).

Since you've only had them for a week, you really don't know what the dominant bird is capable of doing and, I, personally, would not want to find out. The aggression you are describing could turn deadly at any time and you may or may not be there to intervene.

You can house these 2 side by side but I don't think you will be able to keep them together no matter how big the cage is, at least not right now.

icy
02-15-2008, 06:37 PM
You were right. Tonight I caught "him" grabbing her neck. Luckily I was there to intervene. Tomorrow I'll pick up a few more perches and separate them before they hurt each other...

Is it normal, though, for lovies to be peaceful and groom each other most of the time, and only sometimes show aggression? Or are most of them aggressive all the time?

Janie
02-15-2008, 07:00 PM
I have three, all males, and they are NEVER aggressive. Two are caged together at night and the other has his own night cage but the three are out together during the day and get along very, very well.

I think it's very possible, as Linda suggested, that you have two hens. Usually not a good mix when sharing the same cage.

michael
02-15-2008, 08:00 PM
You were right. Tonight I caught "him" grabbing her neck. Luckily I was there to intervene. Tomorrow I'll pick up a few more perches and separate them before they hurt each other...

Is it normal, though, for lovies to be peaceful and groom each other most of the time, and only sometimes show aggression? Or are most of them aggressive all the time?

I think at 8 months its really too early to know if they will truly get along. I would be very uncomfortable given the type of behavior they have exhibited already with keeping them in the same cage "even until tomorrow". I know its a bit late now but personally I would separate them tonight just to be on the safe side, or at the least upon their awakening...... Just my :2cents:

Judy
02-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi,
I just had the exact same thing happen to me. I bought a "pair" of birds and when they were settling into their new environment they began to get very aggressive toward one another. It got very bad quickly. :(

I also tried a bigger cage...but eventually had to separate them.

It was very strange tho because they acted like they were missing each other. They paced back and forth all day long and called..by called I mean SHRIEKED! at each other. We tried to put them back together one more time but no go.

I had to take one of the birds back to the pet store because it just got to be so stressful on them as well as me. I wanted them both but my house is just to small.

So, now I am working on the bird I kept and she is really coming around. She is beginning to take things from our hands and now flies to us and lands on our shoulders. She is still hand shy but is learning.

I know that things have really calmed down since I decided to just keep the one bird. If you want to bond with a lovie.......it's probably best to have just one so they tell me.

Newbie learning!
Judy

icy
02-15-2008, 10:53 PM
It was very strange tho because they acted like they were missing each other. They paced back and forth all day long and called..by called I mean SHRIEKED! at each other. We tried to put them back together one more time but no go.

That's the odd thing. They sit together most of the time, preen each other constantly, and automatically go to each other when they're nervous... I'm sure they'll shriek and pace when I separate them. Yet there are those sparse moments of aggression that could ruin everything. I wonder why birds can feel like each other's solace and try to harm the other one at the same time?

Anyways, I will be separating them as soon as I possibly can... thanks to everyone for your concern. It's been a great help to me.

Judy
02-16-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't know....but I do know that the stress that the aggression created is peacefully gone now and we are becoming bonded much easier.