PDA

View Full Version : More separation issues

icy
02-16-2008, 06:41 PM
So this morning I moved my two birds into separate cages. They are clearly agitated, moving around nervously and chirping at each other. I eventually want to give one of them to someone else since I don't have the space for two bird cages in my tiny apartment; plus, it would probably stress them out if I kept both of them because they wouldn't be able to forget about the other one. How long should it be until I move the cages into separate rooms, and should I do it gradually?

(Note: the reason they had to be separated was because of aggression issues, not because of my own wants, as discussed in this thread (http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showthread.php?t=11229).)

icy
02-16-2008, 06:44 PM
And also... should I be giving them extra [human] attention right now, or would that stress them out further?

michael
02-19-2008, 10:36 PM
In my opinion, your question about separating them cages and all really depends on how they will react when you do. It may unfortunately make little difference as to how they will respond as long as they know the other one is nearby. Another words, unless they are "completely" separated out of sight and sound it may do no good at all and may even result in more stress.

Should you be giving them extra attention right now? Yes. All companion parrots need as much attention as possible. I have to ask, are either of them aggressive when outside of their cages? You could try to spend some with them on a one on one basis but the one problem I see at this point is spending separate time with them could prove to be a bit awkward as they may likely seek out each others whereabouts. It may in fact be easier to give them time out together as long as its "highly" supervised, then you can return them to separate quarters. Please let us know how things go and whether or not you ultimately find separate housing. Best wishes for these two lovebirds.