PDA

View Full Version : Is this good?

sphinxface
02-17-2008, 06:32 AM
I guess this is kindof an update with how things have been going, so there are several issues to address here, sorry if this is way long!

So I have two cages, a big one and a small one, and I put the small one in the living room so he can watch everyone and chirp loudly, and the big one in the back room, where he sleeps at night(I thought about recording him with night vision camera to see what he does all night long :)). I've noticed he's louder in the living room, is this because he is happier to see everyone than being in the back quiet room?

Is it okay to move him so much? I think I should have the big cage in the living room and the small one in the back for him to sleep in but the smaller one is easy to move. My parents hate trying to catch him (they also take longer to do it :rofl: ).

I've heard him making high speed soft chirp clicking noises sometimes, I've tried to catch it on film but it's been a challenge. Does this mean he's happy? I hope my baby is happy... it's been really tough for me, I know these little guys aren't "Just birds" like my friends say, so I've been trying really hard to do what's right for him and I still don't think I'm doing everything right.

I've been trying to get him to eat some "crazy corn", which is a boiled mixture of good things in it for him; rolled corn, Asian rice stick, green peas, rolled barley, rolled oats, buckwheat, papaya, squash seeds, sweet potato, carrots, ginger, and orange peels.. I thaw it out and roll some millet on it (to entice him to eat it) And the first day he attacked it for the millet... But he really hates getting his beak gooey (I know because he runs around his cage wiping it off on everything)so he's a little weary of it now. but I have been offering it every morning for 4 hours max. Next I will try the birdie bread, my mom got the aluminum free baking powder and some flower that I don't think is right but once she wakes up and tells me what it is I'll ask you guys if it's the right kind.

I thought about getting another bird. Mostly for my own pleasure of having a healthy happy baby bird from a breeder that handles them every day while they are young. I had hopes that maybe if I bonded with this new bird that Beezle would be jealous and want to learn faster. of course I know the other bird could become more wild once he meets Beezle(or they will hate each other)... so it's really a toss up... I am afraid though that handling one bird is so hard I don't know if I could handle another one, but this one would be much tamer, and I would be able to work with it much easier. so there are pros, and cons I have to think of very hard before I decide(maybe you could add to my list because I don't know them all). The breeder is so nice though, even though she talks my ear off. She give the new owners a week of observation and requires a call from the new owners to let her know how it's gone. I think it's cool just to have someone who I can talk about the little guys with :P

Okay, I'm pretty sure that's it, if I say anymore you guys might get eye strains XP

sphinxface
02-20-2008, 09:22 AM
too much writing huh? well I'm gonna make a video when beezle wakes up :P

michael
02-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Is he louder and happier because he's in the living room where he could see everyone?.........You betcha! Why not be where the action is and have fun joining in too. Beats keeping up with the vacuum cleaner!

Is it OK to move him much?.........It can cause some discomfort should he become accustomed to one living arrangement. My understanding with this is its best to arrive at one good location thats safe and quiet for sleeping, and any further adjustments be made in small increments. As far as which cage to provide as sleeping quarters may depend on whether he goes along with the choice you make.

I've heard him making high speed soft chirp clicking noises, does this mean he's happy?..........Yes..he's happy. In fact he may be so happy he's willing to have a much closer relationship with you, or some other object. No worry though, this is perfectly normal.

Mmmmm. The crazy corn sounds good!...:). If your lovie is cleaning/rubbing his beak all over its probably because he just enjoyed a good meal! Just in case here, make sure not to leave wet food out too long as after a couple hours harmful bacteria may begin to set in :x. Did you say birdy bread? Mmmmmm :nyah:.

So your thinking of adding another lovebird? Well, it sounds like your taking the right steps before making that important decision. The one thing I've learned from others who have taken on caring for an additional lovebird is it never works out entirely as anticipated. The good news is, either way I've heard more positive results than negative ones. Regardless, preparation for the absolute worst scenario can still make even an oppressive situation a whole lot better. Besides, you can always get your parents to round them up :whistle:.

Final note here. I think its wonderful you found a breeder who's willing to take the time to share any knowledge about her lovebird breeding practices and/or process in providing for their care. Its not at all uncommon for many of us at one time or another to wish we had support thats within a reasonable travel distance and can maybe even lend a hand. I know I could have used an extra one a few times.............:)