PDA

View Full Version : Getting a second lovie: questions

Estee
02-26-2008, 06:39 AM
I have a few questions about upping to two lovies from one.

1) Must they be caged together? Is it OK to keep separate cages, where they can see each other? Or is this unfair?

2) Will the behavior of the first lovie noticeably change?

3) Will the sound level increase much more than double?

4) Are there any hidden increases in care-taking, expense, or otherwise that I am not anticipating?

As for upping to *three,* in many ways I wish, but that is not the option that's on the table right now. Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Mummieeva
02-26-2008, 07:29 AM
1) Must they be caged together? Is it OK to keep separate cages, where they can see each other? Or is this unfair? they can be kept separate and be fine. I had lovebirds in separate cages.

2) Will the behavior of the first lovie noticeably change?It can change a bit. There is really no telling how or if though.

3) Will the sound level increase much more than double?Honestly it did not seem to get to much more to me. Then again i have 4 kids and they are 100 times louder then birds.lol.

4) Are there any hidden increases in care-taking, expense, or otherwise that I am not anticipating? You will need to remember to quarantine the new bird,get a well bird visit,and of course need the new cage and such. But honestly it was not much harder to clean 2 cages as opposed to one. The only part that took longer was out of cage time since i had two to get back in cage not just one.

Steph

Mydoona
03-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Don't do it!
I got a second one as a companion for my first as I work alot and am only in the first week of the 90 day quaranteen and they are driving me MAD!
They won't stop calling to one another and I can't let my first lovie out as she flys frantically around the room looking for the second one (which I put in the bedroom)...only if you live in a BIG house would I get two. or I would get two together at the same time.
I really hope they get along so I can have peace in my apartment.
But the cost is not that much as I already had two cages and buy food in bulk.

michael
03-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi Estee. My own advice when aquiring any pet whether its a new companion or an additional one is to always expect the worst. I know that sounds pessimistic, but I've always felt if you can handle the worst and still carry the "desire" your chances of a positive outcome may outweigh all the unpleasant possibilities, or at least a good portion of them.

So really, will the behavior of the first lovie change? > As mentioned it can, but more importantly, are you prepared if its not what you expected?

Must they be caged together? > No. Especially should they decide not to get along :( ....Is it ok to keep them in separate cages where they can still see each other, and would this be fair? > Yes and No. Depending on your "own" views, how would you feel if they were to become closely bonded and "prefered" each others company in one cage?

Will their noise level multiply to the point it drives you and anyone else nearby (including the neighbors) absolutely insane? > While they may actually manage to keep each other quieter, there is a chance they may not. So how much do you REALLY enjoy the metalic sounds our tiny little friends can create? :omg:

Most importantly. Are there any increased health expenses in addition to the extra time needed in providing for their care? > The only sure fire way to double your pleasure without much cost applies to wrigleys chewing gum...(ok, so there is a few more...but..)...If this were the case for lovebirds, can you imagine how many of them some of us would probably have?....... :eek:

lemonypickett
03-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi Estee,

I went throught the same desire to get another bird last week. I love my little McNugget Eddie so much, I thought that if I had two, I would have more love, and more fun.

After reading many threads and listening to the smart members on here, I decided that I did not want that task.

My reasons:

- Eddie may bond more to the new bird and no longer love me

- The birds may not get along, and could injury each other, or may need to be caged separately forever

- Or worse yet, they love each other and make babies. Babies that could get splay legs, need constant nuturing or have
debilitating disease

- Maybe they live forever happily until one dies 10 years later. Now you have one lonely old bird, which must be hard to
find a mate.

So..... the list really went on and on for me.

Make up your own mind, I know there are many happy multi-lovie families on here, so I am sure they could give you a great argument the other way.

Good luck with your decision. It is not one to be made lightly.

Chickobee
03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
When thinking of adding another bird, or birds, the key word to remember is ADD.

Add more time for cleaning dishes, feeding, chopping veggies, baking birdie bread, cleaning cages, vacuuming the floor, playing with and training the birds, possible vet trips, etc. Oh, and time for shopping for bird toys and gadgets that they absolutely must have. Add more space for cages and more time out of your life. Add more expenses for food, toys, cage accessories, etc. Add more poop on your clothing and your furniture!

We did decide to add more birds and we have also added more pleasure, more entertainment, more bird chatter, more bird photos, more bird stories, and just plain more birdie fun! They are just so darned adorable!

And, we are even thinking of adding even more lovebirds! :happy:

Linda