PDA

View Full Version : plucking.

t0uche
03-11-2008, 02:05 PM
my lovebird, miami, keeps plucking all his feathers
he has been pulling his feathers around his neck, and his tail.
its been two years since he first started plucking(hes 5 years old)
i keep telling my mom to let me take him to the vet
but my mom always says
"animals can cure themselves"

it makes me so sad that she says that

i want to know how can i prevent his plucking
he began to pluck after his partner layed eggs,
but the nest box is no longer in the cage,
could it be because i took out the nest box 2 years ago?:very_sad:

RicosPoppy
03-11-2008, 02:20 PM
my lovebird, miami, keeps plucking all his feathers
he has been pulling his feathers around his neck, and his tail.
its been two years since he first started plucking(hes 5 years old)
i keep telling my mom to let me take him to the vet
but my mom always says
"animals can cure themselves"

it makes me so sad that she says that

i want to know how can i prevent his plucking
he began to pluck after his partner layed eggs,
but the nest box is no longer in the cage,
could it be because i took out the nest box 2 years ago?:very_sad:

You absolutely, without a doubt have to get him to a vet to rule out any type of parasitic, fungal or bacterial infection. You are the caretaker of this animal and you are responsible for taking him to a Doctor if needed. If you were sick would your mom tell you to stay home and "cure yourself."? I hope not.
And the well being of your lovebird should be no different.

Only a vet can determine if the plucking is a result of something biological, environmental, or even emotional (stress), but again, i'm sure everyone else will agree, a vet visit is long overdue.

t0uche
03-11-2008, 02:28 PM
yeah :(

do you know how much it costs
to do that kind of stuff?
im going to have make my friend drive me to the vet
because my mom wont take me..
shes so mean.

beckyg
03-11-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm sorry, it is really hard when people don't understand birds have to be cared for just like other animals. Especially when it means that a sick bird isn't going to get help. Maybe if you called around and told your situation to the avian vets in your area they might take pitty on you and help out... I really hope you are able to do something for your baby. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

michael
03-11-2008, 03:55 PM
I agree Miami has to be tested to rule out any possible medical reasons that may have initiated plucking to begin with. There are many causes ranging from malnutrition, mites/parasites such as giardia, along with any number of underlying illnesses. With proper treatment many can often be cured, but if medical reasons are not properly addressed first, other treatment measures will be useless. Left untreated this may then turn into a "habit" instead of a "symptom". These "habits" if left unattended can start to include the underlying skin/tissue which could then become "life threatening". Either way, I would say the odds of a self cure are not in Miami's favor. While there have been cases of parrots suddenly stopping this behavior they almost always pose no explanation as to why this occured. One things for certain, they are far and few. Should it be found Miami's feather damage is in fact "emotional" in nature steps need to taken to find out the reasons why. Unfortunately at this point we know very little regarding the daily life along with the overall health and well being of your lovebirds. Quite honestly, I doubt removing the nest box caused any such reaction. Have they ever had a "well bird exam"? Has this pair ever had egg's that have hatched? Is their cage situated in a high traffic area? Really, having a certified avian vet examine your birds should really be the very first step.

RicosPoppy
03-12-2008, 10:18 AM
yeah :(

do you know how much it costs
to do that kind of stuff?
im going to have make my friend drive me to the vet
because my mom wont take me..
shes so mean.

I take my lovebird in annually for what is known as a well-bird visit. Birds will instinctively hide any type of illnesses and a well-bird visit will include a physical exam and gram-stains test to measure the level of good and bad bacteria in their system. Typically, a well-bird visit costs around $75, depending on where you are. But like others suggested, call around and talk to some vets, avian vets preferably, and see if you can arrange for a discount.
Good luck and keep us posted.