PDA

View Full Version : Melly the escape artist

Buy A Paper Doll
07-19-2005, 09:38 PM
I am now having to put a stainless steel quick link on the door that holds Melody's food dish. I went out for a few hours on Saturday and came back to find that she had the door half open and the food dish partially out of the cage. I went ahead and put one on Milo's dish, too, even though he's never tried to break out. It takes a bit longer to change out the food dishes but better safe than sorry. I don't want her to lock herself out of her cage while I'm gone.

I'd love to know how she's moving that dish, though. It's is bigger than she is and weighs more. :confused:

shylevon
07-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Neaera used to be able to slip through the cage bars when she was younger. Quite frankly she still can, little thing that she is. One day she slipped out and couldn't get back in. Boy, was she hungry. She was on the floor eating birdseed leftovers off the carpet when I got home from work. The pellets the birds routinely spit out through the bars were all down there, however, she wasn't quite that hungry.

zlatushka
07-19-2005, 09:49 PM
The pellets the birds routinely spit out through the bars were all down there, however, she wasn't quite that hungry.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
too funny!

BarbieH
07-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Oh Bad Melly!

She's probably getting underneath it and pushing up with her head. Or, she's grabbing the perchy part (where they sit to eat) and lifting from there. They are little masters of leverage, in more ways than one. Once she lifted it, all it took was a little forward push.

bellarains
07-20-2005, 07:58 AM
Yep,

They can find superpowers when need be, especially a nesty hen looking for paper :rolleyes:

I heard paper rustling one day and went in to find that Lacey had slid the grate out just enough to slip down into the bottom tray and she was steadily stripping up the paper and tucking it in her tail. I had to put a zip tie on to keep the grate from sliding. I tried a quick link, but it would still slide out enough for her to slip through I thought, so now I just keep a supply of zip ties.

Poor Ms. Melly. I bet she'll be over there trying to figure out why whe can't get that door open anymore, and just get soooooo mad when she figures out you have thwarted her escape route :p

LoveBugs
07-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Oh gosh! For a little wee birdie, I am very surprised at what PP bird can pick up and throw, especially when she's mad and throwing her tantrum!

Mummieeva
07-20-2005, 09:17 AM
I use luggage locks on the food and water holders here.lol.

Steph

Joanie Noel
07-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Yep, the smallest Masterlocks are used over here. They're actually kind of cute. Give character to the cage. :rofl: I don't know who really would try to escape, but Colada used to escape from her cage. Squeaks acts like he'd be the little sneaky one... :evil:

- Joanie

sdgilley
07-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Jennifer,
They are little devils, aren't they? It's good you fastened Milo's doors, too, as they love to share those little naughty tricks with each other. Their like kids, always getting into something when you aren't looking.

Buy A Paper Doll
07-20-2005, 08:00 PM
You KNOW she has to stand in her food dish and bite me through the cage bars when I'm trying to unlock the cage now....

Z28Taxman
07-21-2005, 07:20 PM
I used to use quick links on Ditto's old cage. He figured out how to open them. :eek:

Sparkette65
07-21-2005, 08:38 PM
I have one that does that....the one thats about to pop out that eggie... :LOL:
take care, and watch those fingers!!
Lori