PDA

View Full Version : He's a Midget!

Christian
03-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Thought this was funny and interesting:

I have read many posts in the past about lovies' weights...it seems that most have a lovie that weighs 50+ grams with some having lovies that weigh 60 or so grams. This made me curious because my little man is only 40 grams on a good day! Then I realized that he looks so small (bone structure and length) so I decided to measure him and from beak to tail he is not even 5 in :rofl:
I have a midget on my hands!!!

And he definetly has little man syndrome!:wink:

Eliza
03-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Hi, Christian! How is Estralla doing? He's such a handsome lad...

I believe that masked lovies are a bit smaller than peachies, so that might account for the weight difference.

Beetle, who was DNA'd male, weighed in at 49 grams. I believe that weight is within a healthy range for a peachie boy. Interestingly enough, every time I took him to be groomed the folks at the parrot shop would comment on how HUGE he was!?!?

Christian
03-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Eliza,

He is doing well, aside from an extremely long molt (but its his 1st so hopefully it will be over soon). He has got me trained well and he is completely spoiled rotten. I should post some pics soon.

Well I am glad that masked lovies are a bit smaller because he is just so tiny looking..though I have nothing to compare him to.

michael
03-18-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm sure his bite can be just as big as any other lovebirds :rofl:! You know Christian, I wonder what the smallest lovebird ever was. I really can't imagine even with the smaller species of lovies there's one thats much lighter/smaller than him. Honestly, he's already a precious little cutie bug. I would have to be more careful as his smaller size would make me want to squeeze him even more!................:p

Christian
03-18-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm sure his bite can be just as big as any other lovebirds :rofl:! You know Christian, I wonder what the smallest lovebird ever was. I really can't imagine even with the smaller species of lovies there's one thats much lighter/smaller than him. Honestly, he's already a precious little cutie bug. I would have to be more careful as his smaller size would make me want to squeeze him even more!................:p

Yes, his bite can be just as big..he has brought blood on quite a few occassions! Especially when he was around 4 months of age:mad:
But the last few months he has been a little angel! Its funny because I call him everything but Estrella (unless he's being scolded :) ) His current name around the house is Boogie Monster or Boogie for short..it seems to fit him!

michael
03-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Boogie monster? BOOGIE :rotfl ! ....I must admit thats far better than what I knicknamed our daughter. Hers was Booger! Somehow she's managed to call her dogs snots, and not only this, she's recently mentioned getting another lovebird in the future. I think she needs to meet "Boogie" before going any further!.......:whistle:.......:)

Goof weigh's in at 48-49 grams.........

ittyandrita
03-19-2008, 08:42 AM
ha ha, i call my dog booger. wherever that came from... yeah, none of my birds go by just their name, my favorite is 'pita pocket' for rita because i would call her 'rita pita', and well, what else would i call her after that but pita pocket?

back to the topic though...
Christian, Baxter is a steady 40 grams and the vet remarked on how well muscled he was last time we were there, masks are definitely just smaller than peach faces
Baxter makes the others look like chubby giants :)

wilkiecoco
03-19-2008, 08:51 AM
I never realized that there was such a difference, but looking at the pic of Baxter standing next to rita and jeffrey, the size is so noticeable. Seems like you have nothing to worry about Christian - estrella is still a lovie, just in a smaller package!! :)

Tango's_Mom
03-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Tango is under 50 grams, I believe he weighed in at 48 grams last time, and he is a masked/peachie hybrid, so I guess he just kind of falls in between

Christian
03-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Rachel,

Aww he is much smaller standing next to Rita and Jeffrey..how cute!! I assumed he is normal...just a midget! But I wouldn't have boogie any other way..its so cute to see this tiny bird run after you (literally, as his wings are clipped) when you leave the room :)

dani
03-25-2008, 08:06 PM
I notice that mask sizes vary, I've seen a few that are smaller than Haku, and some that are as big as peachies!! He has a big attitude though, and I suspect he thinks he's so big that he can take on Ammy... :lol... Lovies are the cutest!!!