PDA

View Full Version : my grandma's mother's day gift

lucky melatonin
03-23-2008, 11:14 AM
so my grandma has been wanting a lovebird since i got my francis. she used to take care of francis when i first got him while i was at school and work (because i didn't want him being alone)...she did really well making sure all of his needs were met and was especially careful not to do anything (like use teflon or smoke around him). anyhow, she is CRAZY :rofl: about my birds...always wants to come see them, always wants me to bring them to visit (this is hard so i just got her a really big framed picture of them) haha...

anyhow, my mom was going to get her this opal ring from my work for mother's day but i suggested maybe we look into getting her a lovie! i wanted to talk to the lady at scrictly feathers and see what she had and seek the perfect one for my grandma. other than going to mass and working at her friend's business occasionally, my grandma is always home alone and i think she'd really enjoy the company. the only concern i have is about my grandmother's smoking...she does smoke, but only in one certain room out the window. would this affect the bird? i'm sure if it did, she would smoke outside for the benefit of the bird because that's what she always did for francis.

i've got an extra cage i want to give her, and i know she'll always make sure that it has what it needs.

i did want to know any input you guys might have on this because it's something i really want to do for her, but want to be weary of any potential problems. whether there are problems or not, i will be there to help her. also, i wanted to know if there is any particular bird (mutation, i guess) that may be easier to train. mine have not been easy to train and want to make the process more simple for her.

thebubbleking
03-24-2008, 05:41 PM
I smoke but have a seperate room i do it in and have air purifyers on both sides of the cages, as for getting her a bird i would realy let her choose even if it is with you online looking at breeders etc... and if she is only going to get the one bird mabey look into a cockatiel they are a little less agressive and easier to handle then a lovebird:D
Just my 2 cents:D