PDA

View Full Version : Trick to "unstick" the Velcro bird?

lemonypickett
03-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Help!

When I try to get Eddie to get off me and go in his cage, or on a perch somewhere around the house, I have to "peel" him off me. He usually squeaks and makes me feel bad doing it.

He has one little foot that he refuses to let go with. I praise him lots when he finally does release, but I was hoping someone on here had a trick.

lucky melatonin
03-24-2008, 08:21 AM
i have to lure mine with nutberries or some other treat.

carrier
03-24-2008, 08:52 AM
The only thing that ever worked for me to get Fenway to be less of a velcro-birdie was to bring home another lovie, Wrigley....:rolleyes:

lemonypickett
03-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Ahhh yes..... the second lovie dilema.

Did Fenway stay loving once Wrigley was there?

carrier
03-24-2008, 09:05 AM
For a while he stopped being as attentive as he was, but after the royalty of his new friend wore off, he flies over for a few visits a day, and Wrigley will join him on occassion. He doesn't seek out the scritches he used to want all the time, but for some reason he is much more likely to listen to me now..:rolleyes:

He seems a much happier/well adjusted bird, and seeing the two of them enjoy each other's company makes any difference in the way he interacts with me well worth it. I like the fact that they have each other while I'm gone at work all day.

wilkiecoco
03-24-2008, 09:41 AM
kiwi actually goes down my shirt, or across my back where i can't reach him when it is time to go back into his cage. he has the step up command down pat, and will respond automatically, without thinking, so i firmly say it, and he will come to me. Now to the trick is to get him to stop flying away once I get him!! :blush: :( :confused:

Jally
03-24-2008, 01:29 PM
A good lesson for this is to practice putting him in his cage and then after a few minutes, bring him back out. Keep doing this until you are up to an hour or so that way he knows that even though he has to go in his cage, it won't be forever.

lemonypickett
03-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Good idea, thanks I'll try that!