PDA

View Full Version : Going on Vacation

Mary
03-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Hi,
Previously, we have taken our lovebird Houdini with us when we travel to our cottage in Maine for a week in the summer. For shorter trips a neighbor has come in to feed/water Houdini.

Soon we are going to Walt Disney World and of course cannot take him with us.
He LOVES to be with us outside of the cage. Will he be ok without this kind of attention for a week?

Thank you!

Mary :)

michael
03-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi Mary and Houdini. It may be best to assume leaving your lovebird alone "will" have an effect on him. Whether it results in any residual adverse behavior during or after your absence depends on his individual personality and the type of care you can offer him while your gone. Preferably, it would be best to not only find someone experienced in lovebird care and behavior, but also a person who's already familiar with your Houdini lovebird. Not always an easy task :(. So far though, I haven't heard anything drastic with the exception of an owner who never returns. I think in general, most relationships can be re-established over time provided there's plenty of patience, understanding, and lots of love in the process. The best we can do should we ever have to leave them behind is try to leaving them in the most trusting of hands.

butterfly1061
03-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Mary,

A few years ago, I had to leave Molly (my first lovie) for a week of vacation too. He was only about 6 months old at the time. I boarded him at the vets office. He have a bit of an additude when I returned, but quickly got over it. Houdini should be fine while you are away. Just give him extra lovin' when you return :)

Flapjack
03-27-2008, 01:21 AM
I was pretty worried when I had to leave my guys for 2 weeks in Feb., and now I'm gone again for another week.
My husband feeds and waters, but doesn't get them out often because they bite him- :roll:
When I got home, I was afraid they'd be angry and attack my hands, too, but they were little cuddle bugs.
Now I know when I get home on Sunday they'll be just fine.