PDA

View Full Version : hi new 2 this just got to baby lovebirds

tonico
03-27-2008, 09:18 AM
hi my name is joe i just got 2 lovebirds last week 1 is a masked faced and 1 is a peach faced there about 8 weeks old they are in the same cage they seem to be getting on fine. when there out they just fly about if i pick either 1 up they get a bit panicky but the other 1 will fly down but when ilet it go the 2 of them will play with my chain and my fingers for a while then fly away any tips on getting to stay a bit longer and getting to like being held. i will post some picks soon

michael
03-27-2008, 02:21 PM
hi my name is joe i just got 2 lovebirds last week 1 is a masked faced and 1 is a peach faced there about 8 weeks old they are in the same cage they seem to be getting on fine. when there out they just fly about if i pick either 1 up they get a bit panicky but the other 1 will fly down but when ilet it go the 2 of them will play with my chain and my fingers for a while then fly away any tips on getting to stay a bit longer and getting to like being held. i will post some picks soon

Hi Joe. Welcome to Lovebirds Plus :)! My first thoughts are you have two very young lovebirds who's behavior towards you and each other will likely change a bit as they begin to fully mature. Familiarizing yourself with their basic care and safety "first" can help get you off to a good start when trying to form a relationship with your lovebirds. So far, if your already able to pick up and handle them without the use of any "unnecessary forceful measures" then its possible they've been socialized to some extent before you aquired them. The fact that they climb around on you, even if it is for a short time, suggests their either quickly getting used to your presence or again may have been handled to a certain degree by other poeple besides you. This is a good thing :). I would not only read through some of the forums (especially the STICKY'S) but the "Lovebird Resource Library" "must reads" section. Gathering a reasonable perspective in regards to lovebird care and behavior along with lots of patience will not only help you achieve various goals but make them more enjoyable regardless of the outcome.

I realize there's quite a bit of reading material, much of which is based on breeding. While you may not be interested in breeding lovebirds, for now you can circumvent much of those topics and focus on various other topics that follow. Still, breeding behavior is something that should not be overlooked entirely as it affects all the other aspects of lovebird care. Please, feel free to ask any further questions as needed. Really, getting your new lovebirds to adhere to you for longer periods along with being held with more acceptance can result in the need to try several different tactics. Some idea's may work better such as a simple wing clip, others may take quite a bit of time or not work at all. If you don't succeed in trying one thing you can still go on to trying something else. Either way, you have to allow sufficient time before moving onto a different strategy. Patience really is a virtue when it come to caring for birds! Looking forward to those pics 8o..................:)