PDA

View Full Version : Bored lovie

Jally
03-28-2008, 07:18 AM
What do you guys do with your lovies when you are at work or busy? I work at home, I do daycare in my basement so I can't have Peanut with me like I used to. He doesn't like it down here because it is too busy and noisy, plus we have 2 kittens down here. But, Peanut is not happy in his cage and he sits and waits for me to come up the steps, (which I need to do from time to time since I am a scatterbrain and forget to bring stuff down that I need during the day). His little face as he watches me walk back down is heartbreaking! :(

He has toys, I make him toys all the time, but he doesn't play with them. Last night I made him 2 shredding/foraging toys and I am doubting it very much if he will play with them today.

So, what does your lovie do all day?

RicosPoppy
03-28-2008, 09:56 AM
I usually leave some music on for Rico during the day, Classical mostly.
I also feed the wild birds and squirrels outside and that brings alot of visitors to our back poarch where Rico can hear the other birds chirping. Although, I think he is mostly indifferent to other birds as he much prefers humans.

I work close to home and come home every day at lunch. He usually does a nice couple of stretches when I take him out so that tells me he has probably been napping. My wife works part time and she is usually home around 2:30pm.

He has a few toys that he still enjoyes playing with, but nothing compares to the time he gets to spend with us out of his cage. He is such a good little bugger and it still breaks my heart to leave him everyday. However, after being on almost the same routine for 4 years, I am pretty sure he is comfortable with the fact that we have to leave during the day and he knows when to expect us back home.

Pips mom
03-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Pip wants out every minute he can! but he somehow seems to realize that when no one is here, that means in the cage, and he doesn't seem to mind it much-----BUT be home and have him in the cage and he throws a fit! The little stinker knows! and is also ok about going back in most times as long as he's had enough time out, or if he's tired and wanting to take a snooze. He does ok when we are at work, but we work evenings here and he has all day alot of days to be out. I think he knows the routine, and also if things are slow at work I can come home for lunch as well, and so can my boyfriend, so it all just seems to work out ok and Pip is a pretty happy birdie!

beckyg
03-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Luna is in her cage from when she wakes up til i get home from work around 5pm. I leave the radio on while I am gone so she listens to oldies all day long :D. She's used to it by now so I really don't think she minds as long as she gets her out time in the evening.

butterfly1061
03-28-2008, 12:11 PM
When I had just Molly, I would leave the tv on the kids channel for entertainment. If you have a PBS station, those are great! I have 6 lovies now and I leave the radio on as they usually play with their cage mate. :2cents:

Jally
03-28-2008, 12:52 PM
I was leaving the radio on to country music, I don't know if he can hear it over the budgies noise or not. Hubby won't allow me to have the tv on because we just got a flat screen and he read that they last longer if they aren't on all the time *sigh*

I guess I have to be more diligent in staying down here and try not to go upstairs for anything so he doesn't see me :( I tell him every morning that mommy has to go to work and that he will see me later and we will have our cuddle time after work.

I did sneak up a few mins ago and he was taking a nap. First time in a long time that he has taken a nap during the day that I know of.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

butterfly1061
03-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Hubby won't allow me to have the tv on because we just got a flat screen and he read that they last longer if they aren't on all the timeLook at sale ads for a regular small color tv instead. I got one with a built-in dvd player for $88 one christmas season a couple years ago. It's about 13 or 19 inches and it's perfect! Also, most birds take naps during the day, but we don't always see them. Their hearing is impeccable so if you sneak back upstairs you probably wake him before you can see him naping.

Jally
03-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Oh good idea! LOL Impeccable hearing and eye sight! I can be in the kicthen and he can see me through the tiny opening in the wall between where he is at and the kitchen. And he hears when the basement door is open and when I walk up the steps. I think I may have to do some room rearranging...we have an extra room that was going to be used as an office, but maybe it would be better served as a bird room...something to think about :)

thebubbleking
03-28-2008, 06:59 PM
I got a large cage with toys and i leave the animal planet on the tv while i work then take them out for an hour during lunch then back inside till i get home.
Lucky for me i got a bonded pair so they entertain each other but besides that make sure there is snacks and toys and animal planet on.

Mydoona
03-29-2008, 09:09 PM
mine sleeps on top of his happy hut at night and inside it during the day. he also has a bell he attacks all the time as well as whistling at my new bird.She on the other hand just sits in the same spot all day long and occasionally swings on her swing back and forth for hours.

Miyaki
03-31-2008, 11:10 AM
I leave music on for my birdy on while I'm at school and he has lots of different toys. Sometimes he naps but mostly he just sits on his perch and screams till I get home. I've been trying different things (toys, music, tv...) but they just don't work in keeping him occupied. If I'm gone for to long (longer then 6 hours usually) he starts pulling out the feathers in his legs. He's done it twice now (they just grew back from last time, I'm so mad!) but I'm not really sure how to move him away from plucking. Any ideas? He looks ridiculous with no feathers on his legs!

Chickobee
03-31-2008, 11:48 AM
We have been buying toys for our lovies to destroy and that seems to keep them occupied during the day when we are at work--as evidenced by the big piles of pieces in the bottoms of the cages every night. They just go to town on their favorites and can munch them down to nothing in a day or two. A really good toy lasts almost a week!

Their very favorites are ones that are shreddable or come apart such as the parrot pinatas, bird kabobs, munch balls, and the shredders.

We get them at various places but you can see them at the link below. These provide hours of enjoyment, and mess for me to clean up! :-)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pet_supplies.cfm?c=5059+5648+15144

We also used to leave the radio on when we only had two birds. Now there are enough of them that nobody should be getting lonely.

Linda

Jally
03-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Oh Miyaki, I am so sorry to hear that! That's exactly what I am worried about! I hope something works to keep your baby from plucking soon! :(

Today, Peanut has a lot of new toys in his cage, I had the TV on until hubby came home and then the radio came on. We put 2 bird feeders up at his window and have had a few visitors but Peanut is still sitting in his pouting spot. I don't get it. He played for 2 hours in his cage Saturday! The only difference is, I'm not upstairs.

michael
03-31-2008, 07:55 PM
I leave music on for my birdy on while I'm at school and he has lots of different toys. Sometimes he naps but mostly he just sits on his perch and screams till I get home. I've been trying different things (toys, music, tv...) but they just don't work in keeping him occupied. If I'm gone for to long (longer then 6 hours usually) he starts pulling out the feathers in his legs. He's done it twice now (they just grew back from last time, I'm so mad!) but I'm not really sure how to move him away from plucking. Any ideas? He looks ridiculous with no feathers on his legs!

I have a FDB who's behavior is seemingly unfazed regardless of the many activities and toys I've offered him. What may have started as a case of giardia following a drastic wing clip that left him flightless has turned into a very complex habit. Really, who knows? Maybe it was something missing in the care I provided instead, or perhaps its the possibilty he's not meant to be alone and my companionship is not sufficient. Either way, what I've always known about parrots is not only are they little intellectuals but have plenty of emotional needs as well. One interesting fact that always seemed to stand out after talking to many poeple who also keep feather destructive birds/parrots is they know if your uncomfortable about leaving them alone and they know exactly when your going to leave. They are as I see them very empathic beings who are quite aware of any negative human emotions.

Sometimes its difficult to put those emotions aside when there's other factors such as work, school, or other family members to care for, and then you have to worry about your parrots plucking becoming a monumental habit on top of it. Really, what I've found to be a very helpful start is to not worry about it (or get upset) as this will likely just make the situation worse. Believe me, I've spent my fair share of time doing just that >o.

I think whats helped us (me and Goofy lovebird) the most so far is every morning and evening we spend some serious uninterrupted time "together". About 10-15 minutes or so. Then we're off to gleefully explore the world in all its glory from trying different foods to constucting his own foraging toys. Honestly. he's never really been into most the bird toys I've purchased him but would rather tear up box's made of folded paper you blow up with a nutriberry stuck inside, or silverware strategically placed on top his cage or in the sides of the bars. Usually if I'm gone for awhile by the time I return the forks and spoons are laying on the floor and his cage is a total mess. Afterwards of course its all the more fun to clean up and get ready for another busy day. All this from a bird who at one time always stayed perched in one spot whenever I left the house.

You know, this did take considerable time and effort in that many things just didn't seem to grab his interest, and the more aggravated I got about his plucking instead made it all the worse. Really, you just have to keep on plugging away with great enthusiasm and constantly remain optimistic that eventually your parrots behavior will not include such a self destructive habit even if it is his only comfort while you are out. First off though, is a good exam by a qualified vet to rule out any medical issues, and the sooner the better. Next is a plan that carry's with it the same love and enthusiasm you had when you first brought him home. Yeah, we all can slip on that once in awhile :roll:. Well, needless to say my lovebird still has to wear an ecollar :(. But then who knows, maybe some day we can both forget it ever existed. Either way, we'll still share our love and have as much fun as possible. No matter what!...............:)

Kristina
04-01-2008, 05:46 AM
I make sure Fenway has plenty to play with in his cage. He mainly plays with the same 2-3 toys. I'm pretty sure he eats, sleeps and rings his bell all day. LOL. I think he's starting to understand that I go to work in the morning, but it doesn't stop him from jumping on the cage door and tweet tweeting to come out. LOL.

Fenway also stops chirping when I open the front door when I get home. I swear he listens to see who it is! My husband puts his keys in his cover after he unlocks the door. I let my keys jingle and hang them up. I swear that he knows the difference. He gives me about two seconds to greet the dog, then gets loud until I greet him. :rotfl

Jally
04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm taking Michael's advice this morning and was cheerful when I said goodbye to Peanut. I told him that mommy has to go to work and that we would play and have a lot of fun after work. It's worth a try. I read that the tone of ones voice is important when dealing with dogs. I heard that if you have pity in your voice, then they worry. My arthritic dog whines more if I pity her. So, it makes sense that the tone of my voice is what sets Peanut off.

I will have to take a pic and show that he really does have a lot of toys in his cage. He has plenty to do. He also has 2 seed dishes and a bowl full of fresh veggies but he won't eat in his cage.

Being upbeat and cheerful didn't help :( He is still calling. He's not stupid! He knows that I am here!

butterfly1061
04-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Ahh, yes, our voice tone does make a difference. Every morning before I leave for work, the last thing I do is go into my birdroom to say goodbye. I use a high pitched squeeky voice, kinda like when you talk to a baby. My birds eat it up. I say goodbye (have to go to work) to each pair, tell them I love them, have a good day and mommy will see you later. We also do this with our Blue & Gold. As soon as you say "Gotta go to work", he says "bye-bye" and waves with his foot. He knows we are leaving. :D

Miyaki
04-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I have a FDB who's behavior is seemingly unfazed regardless of the many activities and toys I've offered him. What may have started as a case of giardia following a drastic wing clip that left him flightless has turned into a very complex habit. Really, who knows? Maybe it was something missing in the care I provided instead, or perhaps its the possibilty he's not meant to be alone and my companionship is not sufficient. Either way, what I've always known about parrots is not only are they little intellectuals but have plenty of emotional needs as well. One interesting fact that always seemed to stand out after talking to many poeple who also keep feather destructive birds/parrots is they know if your uncomfortable about leaving them alone and they know exactly when your going to leave. They are as I see them very empathic beings who are quite aware of any negative human emotions.

Sometimes its difficult to put those emotions aside when there's other factors such as work, school, or other family members to care for, and then you have to worry about your parrots plucking becoming a monumental habit on top of it. Really, what I've found to be a very helpful start is to not worry about it (or get upset) as this will likely just make the situation worse. Believe me, I've spent my fair share of time doing just that >o.

I think whats helped us (me and Goofy lovebird) the most so far is every morning and evening we spend some serious uninterrupted time "together". About 10-15 minutes or so. Then we're off to gleefully explore the world in all its glory from trying different foods to constucting his own foraging toys. Honestly. he's never really been into most the bird toys I've purchased him but would rather tear up box's made of folded paper you blow up with a nutriberry stuck inside, or silverware strategically placed on top his cage or in the sides of the bars. Usually if I'm gone for awhile by the time I return the forks and spoons are laying on the floor and his cage is a total mess. Afterwards of course its all the more fun to clean up and get ready for another busy day. All this from a bird who at one time always stayed perched in one spot whenever I left the house.

You know, this did take considerable time and effort in that many things just didn't seem to grab his interest, and the more aggravated I got about his plucking instead made it all the worse. Really, you just have to keep on plugging away with great enthusiasm and constantly remain optimistic that eventually your parrots behavior will not include such a self destructive habit even if it is his only comfort while you are out. First off though, is a good exam by a qualified vet to rule out any medical issues, and the sooner the better. Next is a plan that carry's with it the same love and enthusiasm you had when you first brought him home. Yeah, we all can slip on that once in awhile :roll:. Well, needless to say my lovebird still has to wear an ecollar :(. But then who knows, maybe some day we can both forget it ever existed. Either way, we'll still share our love and have as much fun as possible. No matter what!...............:)

Yes I'm planning on taking him to the vet soon, its just finals and all this homework that has me stuch at home and school so it's been difficult to find time. He gets all of my attention when I am home though, and is literally a velcro birdy. I encrouage the rest of my family to spend time with him and both my parents will play with him when I need a little brea from his constant dancing and trying to tear up my homework (which always makes me laugh). I'm not to stressed over the plucking though, I mean, now whenever I see him I just tell him he looks silly without feathers on his legs and ask him why he pulled them out. He is such a silly bird and I adore hime so I'm trying to find ways to stp the habit but there's only so much we as people can do, as I cannot see into his little birdy mind (if only....). Thank you very much for your post though, it's nice to hear some comments on his plucking and how I may be able to deal with it.

lucky melatonin
04-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Also, most birds take naps during the day, but we don't always see them. Their hearing is impeccable so if you sneak back upstairs you probably wake him before you can see him naping.

haha, mine take naps during the day, but usually on my arm. then i feel like i can't do anything because the look so sweet!!:D

that's how i felt with francis, i hated leaving him alone so i'd usually bring him to spend the day with my grandma when i had to leave all day because he didn't care for toys either. but i leave NPR on for them when i leave now because grandma moved to far away :( i think as long as you spend enough time with him afterwards, it's fine. although, i know that look you're talking about and it really is so heartbreaking!!

Jally
04-02-2008, 12:00 PM
I crowded his cage with all kinds of stuff today and he is calling less today than he ever has. So, I guess maybe he just truly was bored with his toys.

I decided that while the kids are napping today, I'm going to be making lots of toys and I'll rearrange his cage, take somethings out, and put somethings new in each day.

And, I'm staying downstairs more and more instead of sneaking up a couple times a day. More work for me because I have to make sure that I have everything that I need for the day in the morning before everyone gets here. But, if it makes him happier, then it is worth it :)

lemonypickett
04-02-2008, 12:14 PM
I rotate Eddies toys all the time. I think when I am gone at work all day he finds the most enjoyment out of things he can tear apart.

Bird Kabobs, Chinese finger snaps, Leather pieces are great, and today I put in a birdie pinata (see my new video, that is from this morning when it was new..... wonder what it looks like now)

I also bought him 2 "barrel of fun" foraging toys which I put food in, and he figures out how to open it and get them out. Although I haven't seen him actually get it open, everyday when I come home, they are open.

Eddie's old cage had so many toys he couldn't move... so my new cage purchase is much better.

Glad your baby is doing better! You are still lucky that he loves you and wants you around. Sweet isn't it? ;)

Jally
04-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Peanut has lots of finger traps, lots of raffia, lots of straw beads, parsley, a foraging box and basket, and a roll of adding machine paper. I cut the finger traps in 3rds for easier shredding then string them up with beads, etc. And today, I stuffed a finger trap full of nutriberries and hung up mini cupcake papers with a nutriberry in the middle of it.

I'm dying to go up and see what he is doing because he is really quiet (and of course I am worried LOL). Last time I was up, he was hanging upside down, chewing on a parsley stem.

A friend bought a barrel of fun toy for her conure...never thought of getting one for Peanut...

Oh, I know I am lucky! Being loved by a lovie is the most precious thing next to being loved by my human children. Never thought a bird could emit such emotions out of me or for me :)

Hubby is so wrong...animals DO have feelings!

lemonypickett
04-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Wow! Peanut is a spoiled little lovie!

Jally
04-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Could someone please let Peanut know that ;)

Hamsterplus
04-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Hmm... Well my birdies and always interested in each other with preening or talking. I have all the time in the world for them and they don't want anything to do with my lol! They also entertain each other with the tricks they can do with their toys :)

Jally
04-16-2008, 05:55 AM
Hi Hammy. Peanut is getting lots better, but Mondays are still hard for him and for our tiel too. They both love the weekends when they can be out of their cages for most of the day.

I've been rotating toys almost every day and found out that Peanut loves to shred wood :o) So, he has been busy making toothpicks LOL

lemonypickett
04-17-2008, 09:01 AM
I have been bringing Eddie in his travel cage with me to my boyfriends house when I see him, so now that he is with me even more he seems even more needy!

When I work a few doubles and he has only toys to entertain him he seems much more independant. It seems like a vicious circle. We don't want them to be lonely so we spoil them, then they end up more lonely since we spoiled them. Oh boy ! ;)