PDA

View Full Version : my birds ate up my plant!

lucky melatonin
04-01-2008, 09:53 AM
i left my birds on their play cage and was washing dishes in the other room. well, i keep my lucky bamboo plant next to their play cage because i read it was okay if they ever did mess with it, but they never have (and i was happy because i don't want them eating it no matter if they can!!). well, they were being unusally quiet...so i walked in the living room, they were both hanging from the plant eating it! i was like no no no. and got them off....they hopped right back on. :rofl: now my plant is really ugly :(

they love any raw form of veggie now. i tried to cook them some and they wouldn't touch it. when i'm cutting it up for them, sometimes they are on my shoulder...they get so excited and start climbing down my arm to get to the veggies because they CANNOT WAIT! they are like little feathered dogs!

dani
04-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Mine like raw veggies more than cooked ones too... and plants :lol... Good thing it was something safe for them, and not a dangerous plant!

linda040899
04-01-2008, 10:33 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Emily :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Yup, Bamboo is safe and the best thing is that it will simply grow more shoots!! As long as the stem portion is intact, you will have a constant supply of safe greenery..... :lol

I have to make sure that all my indoor plants are safe ones, as mine will do the same thing! Kudos to you for getting them to love their veggies this much!! :rofl:

carrier
04-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Emily,

Be glad you still have a plant!!! :lol

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me while doing dishes. The two seemed really quiet and when I turned around I found my aloe plant completely destroyed. :cry:

The two of them were whipped into some sort of plant-destroying frenzy!!! :rofl: :rofl: :omg: :rofl:

Bomom
04-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Be careful even with safe plants as they may have been treated with something before you brought it home .

lucky melatonin
04-01-2008, 11:20 AM
i know. it seems so weird because the only reason they weren't eating veggies before is because i wasn't cutting them the way the wanted them! they like them cut really small, but before i was hanging them and such because that's what my brother always did with his amazon. but i guess the amazon is a lot bigger, so that makes sense.

ohhh and i'm sure it wasn't treated. i got it from earthbound and it had a "all natural, no pesticides" sticker on it :) plus it's the only kind of indoor plant i have, so i'm good there!

butterfly1061
04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
You know you're going to have to buy them a new one until the one they destroyed grows back, right? :rofl:

I never thought about bamboo. I have a Schefflera that I got at my father's funeral so I didn't want anything to happen to it. Well, those little stinkers (the babies) went right for it so I had to move it into my large bathroom on the garden tub. I may have to get them a bamboo plant. :whistle:

Buy A Paper Doll
04-01-2008, 06:47 PM
LOL! It's happened to many of us. Mine "pruned" a miniature rose bush down to the dirt, before I even had a chance to take it outside and plant it. :(

dani
04-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Ha! I can top that! :rofl: Evie pruned one of our fruit trees down to a bunch of dried out branches and then it died....