PDA

View Full Version : Boarding vs. staying at friends?

cp.lovebird
04-07-2008, 01:05 PM
My husband and I are going on a trip for 2 weeks on April 12.

My brother in law lives with us and he will be studying/writing his 1st year university final exams. I don't want to leave Squeaky at home with him because he will be very busy, doesn't really interact with the bird and will have enough to worry about! Plus he doesn't drive and would have a hard time getting Squeaky to the vet if required.

A friend offered to take him. The good part of this is that the friend lives close by and it would save us over $300. Yet, I am uncomfortable because he and his wife don't know birds and are away from the house a lot working.

So, the other option is to board him at the avian vet's office. Here he will get toys, food, regular care, people and bird company. I am a bit worried if other sick birds are around that Squeaky could catch something. The vet assured me that they quarantine the contagious birds in a separate space on the floor below the boarding area. It costs $18 a day which will be over $300 for the duration of our trip. Ouch! But, then I won't worry about him and he'll be well cared for. He is now 14 years old - an old man! :rofl:

We haven't booked all of our hotels so I can't give the vet an emergency contact number for us. I could authorize them to provide any required medical care but I also don't want a huge bill when I return. How have others handled this issue?

I think I will board him at the vets! Thanks for letting me work this out here!
Squeaky's health and well-being is priceless!

If you have any suggestions, advice, experience with this and want to share it, that would be great! Thanks!

flashgal
04-07-2008, 02:33 PM
I feel for you...I used to be in situations just like this, that is why we now own a RV. We take our extended family with us everywhere. It is the best way to travel for us, as all our pets come with us. Good luck with your decision.

beckyg
04-07-2008, 02:43 PM
I am no expert by any means, but I think with Squeaky's age that the Vet would be the best place for him (if you can afford it). It is a large chunk of money, but like you said, you wouldn't have to worry about his wellbeing. You mentioned giving authorization to take care of medical issues while you are gone, maybe they would be willing to call you in advance just so you don't have any big $urprizes when you return.

In the end it is up to you, this is just my :2cents: :D. Have a wonderful and safe trip!!

linda040899
04-07-2008, 03:01 PM
I agree with boarding at your avian vet's office. At age 14, he's safest there. What I would do is give your vet a dollar amount of say, $200.00, for medical care that he could provide before consulting with you. As you get phone numbers for where you will be, you can call his office and update the contact number for you.

butterfly1061
04-07-2008, 03:35 PM
I boarded my lovie Molly for a week at my vet's office a few years back. I felt better leaving him there as opposed to having someone unfamiliar with birds to keep him day and night. Everything worked out and I called just about everyday to check on him. The girls in the office played with him so he wasn't "stuck" in the cage all the time.

Keltoth
04-08-2008, 11:29 AM
I would take him to the vet's office as well. At 14 years of age, there are just too many things that could go wrong even under the BEST of care. Even if he were to die of nothing but old age while in the care of your friend with you away on vacation, you would always wonder if she had done something to contribute to his death, just from her sheer inexperience with birds in general - which, in turn, could effect your friendship and make things weird between the two of you.

I wouldn't put any risk on your bird OR your friendship. $300 bones is a good piece of change, but for me, the peace of mind of boarding him with professionals in avian healthcare would be worth every penny.

Just my opinion; your mileage may vary.

- Eric

cp.lovebird
04-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks everyone! He is going to the vet's office.

Thanks Linda - great idea about a maximum dollar value without authorization. I can call and update the vet's office as I travel - I didn't think of that!

I will miss my Squeaky! My husband said he will too. And I am excited about the trip. :clap