PDA

View Full Version : Female or Male

Brooke
04-13-2008, 05:51 PM
I dont know if my bird is a female or a male...I only have one but it is the weirdest thing my bird gets food and then goes up his/her ladder and it looks like he/she is trying to give it to this toy that is in his/her cage!?

Cindy N.
04-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Sounds like a very male thing to do. But, some females will do this too. He/she has decided that the toy is it's mate. The only 100% sure way to find out is if it lays an egg.

Cindy

butterfly1061
04-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Brooke,

You can go to http://www.avianbiotech.com/SexingCenter.htm for a DNA kit for free. You just send it back with a small fee and they will tell you what your lovie is - male or female. Look in the Lovebird Resource Library for additional information :)

Brooke
04-14-2008, 05:26 PM
OK Thanks!! Well it couldnt lay an egg cause it hasnt ever had a mate I got him/her from a breeder when him/her was just a little baby! I think he is a male because he is pretty tame...who knows though. I might find out one of these days

butterfly1061
04-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Well it couldnt lay an egg cause it hasnt ever had a mateBrooke, Bird hens can lay eggs without a male. Their goal in life is to lay eggs and raise a family. The only difference is a single hen's eggs won't be fertile casue she doesn't have a mate to fertilize them. :2cents: