PDA

View Full Version : PFBD Free!!

lemonypickett
04-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Hip Hip Hooray! Eddie is PFBD negative !!:clap :happy: :happy: :clap

Any chance of a false negative test result?

Also... as he is negative .... could it just be molting feathers around his eyes, or something else?

zlatushka
04-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Great news!!!

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

carrier
04-15-2008, 03:09 PM
:clap YAY EDDIE!!!:clap

That's great news! Extra kisses from me, Fenway and Wrigley!

Janie
04-15-2008, 05:33 PM
That is great news! :clap

Cindy N.
04-15-2008, 08:06 PM

Also... as he is negative .... could it just be molting feathers around his eyes, or something else?

Yes, there can be false negatives, but, are you sure he is not rubbing his eyes against something or does he have a companion with him?

Cindy

michael
04-15-2008, 08:27 PM

In regards to false negative testing results, much of this depends on many factors starting with the experience of your veterinarian. From what I've gathered from many sources including my own avian vet is there are some circumstances that may require secondary testing. A positive test result with very few if any clinical signs almost always requires a second test to help confirm the first positive diagnosis of PBFD. While "negative" test results can very well mean your bird is free of PBFD, there are some instances that may suggest another test is needed. Some reasons for this can be a high amount of other viral pathogens present in the blood sample taken due to contamination or infection, or an insufficient number of white blood cells infected by the virus itself. Sometimes too much anticoagulant used can hinder proper test results. Usually though your vet will look for various clinical signs associated with PBFD to help aid in a reasonable diagnosis. Because some feather deformities caused by polyomavirus or even nutritional disorders/deficiencies can mimick PBFD symptoms usually the PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test is used to ensure an accurate diagnosis. The best thing you can do is follow your vets advice should he feel further testing is necessary whether its for PBFD or otherwise. If he gave no indication there were problems in regards to the current negative results I would feel comfortable in thinking Eddie does "not" have PBFD......Good to hear Eddies results did in fact come back NEGATIVE :clap!................:)

lemonypickett
04-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Cindy, There are no other birds with Eddie.

The feathers are filling in nicely around his eyes. This first molt into his adult feathers has been quite agressive. For a week there, he had so many pin feathers the poor thing felt like a porcupine. Luckily, it looks like the feathers around his eyes are filling in nicely, and he even has one new tail feather and 4 new flights (he is starting to look like a flighted bird now!). All new feathers look nice. So... for now I will trust the result. If he looses any again or starts to look funny ... I will rush him right in.

He did see the only board certified avian vet in the state at Angel Memorial in Boston. So... I am thinking they are knowledgable.

beckyg
04-17-2008, 09:27 AM
:clap Good I'm happy for you and Eddie.:clap

bbslovie
04-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi, I'm so glad to hear the good news and that Eddie is doing well! :happy:

Cindy N.
04-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Cindy, There are no other birds with Eddie.

The feathers are filling in nicely around his eyes. This first molt into his adult feathers has been quite agressive. For a week there, he had so many pin feathers the poor thing felt like a porcupine. Luckily, it looks like the feathers around his eyes are filling in nicely, and he even has one new tail feather and 4 new flights (he is starting to look like a flighted bird now!). All new feathers look nice. So... for now I will trust the result. If he looses any again or starts to look funny ... I will rush him right in.

He did see the only board certified avian vet in the state at Angel Memorial in Boston. So... I am thinking they are knowledgable.

I'm happy to hear that his feathers are coming back in. :) Many times when a bird has a companion, that companion helps groom the pin feathers. So for my lone birds, I help them with this. All you have to do is take the longer sheathes between your fingernails and rub your nails together and they come off. :wink:

Cindy

lemonypickett
04-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks guys.

I was trying to get the sheaths off, but he would cry. He was really sore for a few days. Now he is looking good.

Funny yesterday he looked like an adult to me. I was asking my boyfriend if he looked all grown up, and he just laughed at me. It think this molt is making him look like a big boy. I will weigh him later and see if he is any bigger. :)

lucky melatonin
04-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Funny yesterday he looked like an adult to me. I was asking my boyfriend if he looked all grown up, and he just laughed at me. It think this molt is making him look like a big boy. I will weigh him later and see if he is any bigger. :)

HAHA! i said the same exact thing about francis when he finished his molt. "aww, my boys getting big and pretty...i've got a big boy..." and my boyfriend laughed at me too! :rofl: glad i'm not the only big dork around.:lol

lemonypickett
04-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Here's a dork for you .... I submitted Eddie for Pet of the Week for my local newspaper, and ... here we are!

http://www.wickedlocal.com/hamilton/archive/x1498096111

I think I get the dork award.:blush: